Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 10:02   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post

Discounts offered in Fabia around Rs.57,000 could be the major reason.
Apart from the discount, local production out of Chakan is another factor. There's a different push to marketing & sales when a product is locally manufactured as compared to when it is imported and put together.

More importantly, the discount offered on the Fabia makes it extremely VFM, esp when compared with the Jazz. The price difference on a similiar spec'd version is close to 2.5 L (save for the iVtec engine). It works out even a tad cheaper than the i20.

When I brought mine a few months back, I was seriously contemplating if to buy the Fabia or wait for the to-be-launched Jazz. I am glad I didn't wait.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:59   #122
BHPian

I never felt that i20 diesel (Asta) was overpriced, since it comes fully loaded with all the cool little features that add up. These seem to be getting reflected in the sale numbers now. I was also very impressed by the diesel testdrive that I took. Could someone please explain why the majority feel that it's overpriced?

Last edited by PearlJam : 9th October 2009 at 16:16. Reason: Forgot one sentence
Old 9th October 2009, 17:38   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
I never felt that i20 diesel (Asta) was overpriced, since it comes fully loaded with all the cool little features that add up. These seem to be getting reflected in the sale numbers now. I was also very impressed by the diesel testdrive that I took. Could someone please explain why the majority feel that it's overpriced?
I agree, it is not exactly overpriced. I have mentioned this in many threads. If I recollect well, I was ready to buy an i20 CRDI 90bhp if launched before Linea if the priced about a lac below Linea's expected price. Now, it is indeed, 1.7L cheaper than Linea and a lot more cheaper if you start comparing with a Jazz. That makes i20 CRDI a lot VFM to me. All these might change if Punto or Manza starts offering 90bhp engine with all the features as in Punto.
Old 9th October 2009, 18:09   #124
BHPian

Has the Mighty 'H' (Honda) started to blink on the Jazz front? I saw ads in the Times of India newspaper from one of the Honda dealer(Linkway Honda) offering GPS Navigation system free with Jazz.

Last edited by malgudi : 9th October 2009 at 18:13.
Old 9th October 2009, 18:21   #125
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
What I find amazing and to an extent sad at the same time is that it was Fabia that created the premium hatchback segment with its launch in AutoExpo 2008. All the goodies that were thought to be the preserve of the sedans and premium cars were all made available - like air bags, parking sensors, height adjustable seats, adjustable steering, great interiors and of course quality fit and finish. Further a diesel engine as well.
Spot on! Though the Fabia was the first "premium" hatch, I'd say the Getz was the "expensive" hatch. I remember people going "5.5 lakhs for a hatchback. Have they gone nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit27 View Post
i20 sales are a thumbs up for all the car companies targetting the Indian market for Premium hatchbacks what it proves it if you have a good product and have good features and engine to back up and yes some peace of mind you can sell it .
Right product + Hyundai's brand + tension free ownership. The recipe for success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Seems the much touted success of Xylo is actually waning off. Especially comparing to other Mahindras' great run (Bolero and Scorpio)
Me thinks the Xylo is being hit by the 1 lakh cheaper Bolero on one side, and the 2 lakh more expensive Innova on the other. Equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
a lot of taxi owners are going in for the base innova model, as they can charge a premium of the Xylo and Scorpio for the innova with eternal car life and decent fuel effeciency.
Don't also miss out on the fact that taxi customers hate bouncy ride quality on the highway. The continuous bobbing & swinging at 100 kph has got to make rear passengers (third row especially) uncomfortable. The Innova is so much more planted on the highway with minimal vertical / sideways movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
Is it the end of the Palio era ? The car that delighted the enthuasiasts and terrorised the common man seems to have finally found it's resting place. However, FIAT A.S.S apart , it's a gem of a car and one of the first to focus on build and ride quality. RIP Palio. I will hold on to mine for some more years however :-)
Nice post, Ganesh. Straight from the heart. I think the GP is a fitting replacement for the Palio. ONly need to dump that 1.6 100 BHP engine in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
In rural India, once a brand is considered robust it stays that way till they actually see something that can match the tractors.
After seeing the trashing that my Classic takes on offroad drives, and then comes out in one piece, I have no doubt on the Bolero's robustness. After all, there are so many similarities in construction. Even the worst of Indian roads can't provide the kind of abuse that we offroaders put our machines through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedKrazy View Post
It is sad to see punto sales going down,Fiat listening market screaming for VGT to be plonked under puntos hood.
YES! Fiat MUST dump the Linea spec 1.3 MJD into the Punto. Fitting differentiator between itself and other hatchbacks. After all, the engine is already available!
Old 9th October 2009, 18:26   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
To the point & factual analysis. ( It helped a lot in my trainee's MBA project, She had made a special mention of Team-BHP in Acknowledgement , I insisted ).
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Its a setback for Honda but they can turn it around. If they can drop the price by 1 - 1.5Lakh, they can achieve good numbers. It takes certain boldness to drop the price by such a margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Has the Mighty 'H' (Honda) started to blink on the Jazz front? I saw ads in the Times of India newspaper from one of the Honda dealer(Linkway Honda) offering GPS Navigation system free with Jazz.
Never too late to correct your mistakes .Honda ought to cut the price by 1.0 - 1.5 lakhs and compensate existing owners in some way (freebies, insurance, fuel cards, service coupons etc.). It's really a great hatch and would do wonders at the right price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
Another reason for I20's success is it's availability in smaller towns. Places where Honda and Skoda don't have dealers. Hyundai may not have Maruti's vast dealer network, but they too have a good presence in smaller cities.
Smart point, fi.robin.
Old 9th October 2009, 19:42   #127
Senior - BHPian

Punto now comes with discount. As in Delhi NCR
  • free insurance
  • free 3rd and 4th year extended warranty
  • free 4 years roadside assistance (not a typo)
  • benefits upto 30,000 depending upon the variant.
  • scheme from 9th to 24th October.
Old 9th October 2009, 19:47   #128
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Punto now comes with discount.
Already? A little early in the day for GP discounts. Either ways, whos complaining if one gets insurnace + warranty + 30 grand benefits. Will surely push their Diwali sales up!
Old 9th October 2009, 20:12   #129
BHPian

Quote:
  • free insurance
Makes it even more cheaper! But I am surprised - discounts so soon?

Are those first 3 benefits adding up to 30K or is thate 30K in addition to the free insurance, extended warranty and roadside assitance?
Old 9th October 2009, 20:47   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really? Is this city specific or applicable across?
Old 9th October 2009, 21:17   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Swift is doing wonders to Maruti & Suzuki. Amazing numbers there even after 4yrs since launch and no major facelift. Even after the launch of Ritz, the numbers haven't come down. Imagine what will happen to competition when they bring in the 1.2 K-series engine and bring down the price further

Fiesta has finally overtaken Verna - Team-BHP effect?!

In the C-segment the growth has come entire on account of ANHC & Fiesta - both have grown 50% + over Aug09 sales.

Whatever be the target, Honda will maintain their statement that "This is the volume we expected to sell"

At this rate they might never reach that number. Let them better bring in the facelifted version and price it sensibly.
Yeah right. Theyve launched the Limited Edition Play. Kinda like SX4 is coming up with the automatic version, a better bargain and different audience. Also, Something similar to the Manza by the TATAs. Ive been reading blogs, threads about it. They are promoting it with a nice teaser site right now (Manza - Look forward to a new level of indulgence). This time round, they seem to have focussed on a refreshing change. And great package.
Old 10th October 2009, 12:30   #132
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigautobuff View Post
This time round, they seem to have focussed on a refreshing change. And great package.
I am overjoyed at them dumping the Indica / Indigo name for the Vista sedan. It really didn't do the Indica Vista any good. Related thread.
Old 10th October 2009, 13:54   #133
BHPian

Quote:
  • free insurance
Discounts so soon after launch?

The real discount they can give customers is by plonking in atleast the 90bhp VGT and pricing it the same . Now, that'll have me standing in line for it
Old 10th October 2009, 13:56   #134
BHPian

I think Punto and Jazz did the hard work of opening the floodgates, but who rushed in was i20!

I wonder how many of the 4000+ i20s sold were diesel. I think not more than 25%. In which case, the logic (of Punto and Jazz selling the idea of a premium hatch initially, and then the customer at the time of evaluation chooses i20 over Jazz/Punto) can be explained.

Despite staying in south mumbai, i hardly see any puntos. i guess i have seen around 5 since the launch. When we go out, my kids ask me to show a punto on road. Never cd I show one to them. Quite embarrassing in front of wife/kids as i have tomtommed it as our next car :(
Old 10th October 2009, 14:00   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am overjoyed at them dumping the Indica / Indigo name for the Vista sedan
Beg to differ. Read on the Manza thread that it will be named "Indigo Manza"
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1524166

Most Viewed