Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 18:48   #61
Untouchables09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
To hell with the impression that City is overpriced. But Jazz?

Check the sales figures below for Honda, Sep '09:
City: 4281; Jazz: 504; Civic: 695; CR-V: 1; Accord: 313

Source:
Honda press release
Have read this logic quite a bit by many repeatedly on the forum that Honda is NOT Overpriced & is a VFM BECAUSE it sells & is the segment leader

There is something seriously wrong with this logic of some.

By that logic, what is SX4? with a mere 15%-odd market share, is it Overpriced? Naah. The last I heard, about all reviews (owners as well as non-owners), almost all had 1 word to say - VFM all the way.

On the other hand, if you feel Honda is not overpriced, its your personal opinion & it's respected. No doubts about it. To each his own.

Old 6th October 2009, 19:28   #62
PCS
BHPian

Hi Karpusv !

Dude you are doing an excellent job by posting the sales figures.
it was very exciting to see CR-V vs Fortuner sales figures.
and even Toyota is leader in other segments too !!!
Toyota has also beaten Civic withtheir Altis
Old 7th October 2009, 10:19   #63
BHPian

Actually, I always get this info in the middle of my other tight schedules. So I usually end up posting them without any value addition.

Thank you all again for the analysis and comments. They are definitely insightful.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:51   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Segment wise analysis

A Segment

This segment is seeing the slow death of the legendary 800. The sales lost in 800 are absorbed by the Nano. 800 is down to 2900 odd units on an average in the past 3 months down from 5500 in the begining of the year.

A+ Segment

This segment has sales of about 58-60K units a month. Alto averages about 20000 units a month, Wagon R with 12000 units a month. i10 and Santro averages 11000 units and 6500 units a month respectively.

The spark is steady with an average of 3000 units a month. Estilo with about 2400 units a month and this number can only increase after the relaunch of Estilo with the K- series Engine.

A-Star is disappointing with 3000 units a month. We may soon see some more offers on A-star similiar to the ones on Wagon R and Estilo (old)

@Mods: How do I post the pictures in between the paragraphs? Please help
Attached Thumbnails
September 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-segment.jpg  

September 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-segment.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 12:05   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

B Segment

This segment has actually expanded from about 20000 units to 25000 in the last six months. This has to be the Ritz Effect. Indica is slowly losing ground from about 11000 units to 9000 units a month. The Ritz and Swift takes the major share of this loss and the market expansion

Getz and UVA have settled at 500 units a month.

Palio and the Fusion have started facing the slow death. Both these models should be made to rest in peace. Doesn't even sound business sense to produce and sell these models.
Attached Thumbnails
September 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-b-segment.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 12:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

My interest revolves around the Hatchs as it is the hottest segment.

In the A segment Alto seems to have lost some sales to Estilo, Wagon-R seems to be consistently loosing steam. Surprisingly A-Star is a big disappointment; this car is doing great on the export front.

In the B Segment Indica rules but numbers are not as strong as it was in 6 months ago. We don’t have a break-up of vista figures.
No stopping the Suzuki's they sold more than 50% (Ritz + Swift combined). Swift still commands more than the Ritz.
Jazz is the worst performer considering previous quarter sales figures; it managed to sell a quarter of what it sold in the first month. For Honda there pricing strategy has gone horribly wrong, its a pity to see a brilliant product going down the sales chart. Honda has to reduce prices as customers have lot of choice in the B+ segment.

Don’t know why FIAT is selling Palio's ? May be they are just selling the leftover inventory.

Punto seems to have settled down around 1500 number. Actually this is quite fare numbers as service support has to keep pace with sales.
i20 Seems to be going from strength to strength , I guess the diesel motor has clicked, though it is not the best in class motor. Other factor can be people are still not confident about the Punto hence playing safe with i20.

The price cuts on Fabia seems to have attracted some uninformed customers surely they will regret there choice in the long run.
Old 7th October 2009, 12:11   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

B+ Segment

This segment has expanded from 2000 units in the beginning of the year to 6500 units a month in the past 3 months. The Punto and Jazz Effect.

i20 with the diesel engine has definitely contributed to the increase in the numbers for Hyundai.

Punto seems to be settling at 1500 units, definitely not bad at all considering its from FIAT.

Jazz even though had an excellent start with 2000 units, has now a downward trend. We need to wait and see how the next couple of months go for Jazz. As far as I am concerned this might settle at 500 units a month.

The Premium Fabia with all the horror stories of Skoda still manages to sell even though in poor numbers. It is quite interesting to see that the sales have increased from a couple of hundred units to about 500 units (average of the past 3 months). This might be due to the discount effect.

500 - need not mention about the numbers, not worth the time.
Attached Thumbnails
September 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-b-segment.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 12:32   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Entry Level and C Segment Sedan

Entry Level Sedan

September 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-entry-level-sedan.jpg

The segment has sales of about 13K units a month and Dzire is the undisputed king in this segment.with a monthly sales of 6500 units on an average.

Next comes Indigo with about 3500 units a month on an average. This number will be interesting to watch after the launch of Manza.

Ikon has settled at 1000 odd units a month even after the introduction of the 1.4 litre TDCi engine.

Accent with 1000 units a month is selling by itself, no real effort by Hyundai push the sales of the Accent.

Logan with 500 odd units may soon see people telling bye bye to this car.

Ambassador with 500 units a month, wonder who is purchasing this. May the Telugu and the Tamil movie industry are buying these for the hillarious stunts (blasts) that they have in their movies. Not bad, HM should probably have orders on hand from this industry. The Government BABU's have moved on to the better car models.

Marina is sold I believe purely to the Airport Cabs organizations.

C - Segment

September 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-c-segment.jpg

This Segment has sales of about 9000 units and HONDA City is the undisputed king with an average of about 3500 units a month. This might slowly move towards 3000 units a month which is still a very good number. All the overpriced/under equipped discussion is out of the window.

Verna is stead with 1500 units a month

Linea is averaging about 1000 units a month. Fiat can definitely do better than this. Fix all the small niggles and for god damn sake, advertise the car more along with what it offers. TATA-Fiat have to slog it out even to increase this number by a couple of hundreds

Fiesta sales have increased to about 1500 units a month for the past 3 months as compared to less than 1000 units at the beginning of the year. Ford is good at the limited editions and the offers.

SX4 has settled at 1000 units a month. This number will be interesting to watch after the introduction of the VVT engine.

Aveo is at 200 odd units a month, thanks to the GM fiasco with bankruptcy. Probably GM can think of relaunching this with a new brand name to alteast push this number up to 500 odd units a month which will do no harm to the image of GM, even though they would incur a good cost for this.

@BBLOST: Thanks
Old 7th October 2009, 13:07   #69
BANNED

Great job, karpusav. Great compilation, modelwise break up always helps.

Fiesta - Wow. Beyond 2K units. Worthy jump for a worhty car. Seems the Limited Edition promotion is working well

DZire - Strengthening position as undisputed king of C Segment sedans with no other cars remotely near it.

i20 - great going. Seems exceeded expectations of most people
Old 7th October 2009, 14:27   #70
BHPian

Good work Krishna and Karpusv

It’s good to see that Jazz sales have been declined to 500 and I am sure that Honda would have learnt a lesson from this.This is surely a warning sign for Honda and I am sure it’s not too far for city to face this situation. Hyundai should launch Elantra sedan and take on Honda city.
It’s really bad for Ford even after launching new Endeavour it sales has not gone up even though they priced it well. I think ford should have changed the rear leaf suspension.

It’s good to see that Rtiz is selling in good numbers as Swift and to sell A-star they have to increase the rear leg room for sure otherwise it’s really tough to increase the numbers.

The increase in Fabia sale is purely due to the offer they gave,when they remove the offer the sale will also goes down.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:50   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Team,

The September monthly analysis has been added to the start of this thread. All posts moved to the new thread.

@ Karpusv : Much appreciate your sharing the stats with our community!
Old 7th October 2009, 15:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Honda must be shocked to see its Jazz tumble down to a mere 500 cars. They had estimated a run of 2,000 cars per year.
GTO, I suppose you meant 2000 a month? Regarding the phenomenal sales of the i20, I sort of remember you saying at the time of the launch that the price left no room for a diesel and that price cuts and discounts are inevitable. You will have to take back your words now.

It is surprising to see a drop in Punto sales when every other car including the Fabia has grown. Shoddy interiors are taking their toll. Even if customers are willing to take a bet on the Fiat brand, they expect better interiors.

Fantastic performance by the Swift. Rattles don't really matter to the general public.

Last edited by Gilead : 7th October 2009 at 15:33.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:46   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
GTO, I suppose you meant 2000 a month?
Thanks! Corrected.

Quote:
Regarding the phenomenal sales of the i20, I sort of remember you saying at the time of the launch that the price left no room for a diesel and that price cuts and discounts are inevitable. You will have to take back your words now.
Oh, I'm eating my words and how. The Indian market is the most unpredictable in the world! Who would have imagined a 6 - 7 lakh hatchback selling 4000 units in a month!

Quote:
Even if customers are willing to take a bet on the Fiat brand, they expect better interiors.
Truly. Like I posted, the Linea may be a mid-level C segment sedan, but the Punto is a premium hatch. Ironical as it may sound, the Punto needs better interior fit / finish than the Linea does.

Quote:
Fantastic performance by the Swift. Rattles don't really matter to the general public.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

Dear GTO,

Thats a clean an crisp review, having seen the figures is one part but waiting to see the review of yours is a real interesting wait.
Its amazing how even with having all the figures in our hand we miss to make some points. Thats the difference between the experts and ametuers, we hardly make sense of data.
And of course a special thanks to the team which compiles the data behind the review. Thanks Vasudev and Kaspurv.
Great job guys.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:09   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• The Swift and the Ritz continue their lead in the 4.5 lakhs segment with 9,663 and 6,280 respective cars sold. We love the Swift, and how! It even outsells the Ritz which is a more modern car and has a far superior petrol engine! Question : How much does the Swift's eye catching design have to do with this?
It would be interesting to see the breakup of petrol and diesel cars sold for both these models. It is my hunch that Ritz is continuing to get the bigger share of the petrol sales due to its excellent engine while the Swift still corners a bigger share of the diesel sales. And certainly the unusual design of the Ritz does not help.

Most Viewed