Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2005, 10:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen
So, that means , all the exotics that are spotted at imported car dealers place are bought on TR and the buyer cannot transfer the car in his/her name for 2 years.
How do they bring so many cars on TR, is there any specific check on this or SAB CHALTA HAI, JHOL, of course !!
Well lately the rules have changed for Cars whose value is more than 40000 USD. Any individual can import one by paying 105% duty. There are no restrictions on imports of these cars. So as most of the exotics are above that value they can be imported freely and not necessarily on T.R.
Old 1st August 2005, 23:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Well , I think the $40000 rule applies only to brand new cars and the exotics spotted at the dealer's place are hardly new.Maybe 10% of them are new .
What abt the rest ?
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:36   #18
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2010 at 10:31.
BurningHeart is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st November 2010, 23:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine wants to import a RHD Hummer from the US. He has been doing a lot of research on this. He has two challenges, first getting hold of a RHD Hummer in the US, then qualifying for importing it. Now if on TR he has to take the RHD hummer to India, he needs to have owned the same in the US for at least one year. Since it is RHD, he cannot probably own it in the US. Now if he goes back to India and tries to import it first hand as 40k USD + car, he may not even get it because the little left of the stocks of Hummer are probably selling out fast. What would be a good idea for him to get his dream machine to India?
Old 2nd November 2010, 03:55   #20
BHPian

If money is not an issue, you can contact the company directly. GM will send Hummer to NZ or Australia for the switch from LHD to RHD.
Old 2nd November 2010, 04:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

If I were in your friend's position, this is what I would do:
1. Buy a late model (possibly 2008/2009) from GM's certified used stock.
2. Use it for a year
3. Ship it to Australia for LHD -> RHD conversion. If the vehicle is to Australian spec, then it will also have a speedo in kmph and headlights configured to driving on the left.
4. Ship the vehicle to Mumbai port and process TR at around the same time

I don't know what your friend's anticipated return date to India is, if it is anything less than a year, then the "stick to the procedures" door is closed. The open door is to "adjust" the one year ownership rule with customs ...
Old 2nd November 2010, 07:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good suggestions.. I guess his return date is in another 2-3 years, long enough for him to do all that you guys listed. He read all the the ideas and is thinking about it. Will update what he does.
Old 27th October 2011, 17:14   #23

Re: Importing a car from the UK?

By no means I am one of those trying to fill the backyard with EXOTIC stuff but just because I know that good quality used cars are damn cheap in US(not sure of other countries) I've visited and revisited time and again only to discover that its not worth the effort.

I did find a site on the web which might throw some light though..

Here is the link:
Shipping cars to india - transport and freight guide

happy surfing guys

-OffDaBeemer
Old 28th October 2011, 16:24   #24
BHPian

There is no issues now. You can import second hand cars Under duty or under EPCG.

The import trade policy now permits second hand cars.

The value is calculated on depreciated value.

I have cleared few brand new cars and if you take my opinion its better not to import a second hand one.
Old 28th October 2011, 18:37   #25
BHPian

any particular reason to avoid second hand? I have seen some good cars at cheap price, always wondered how to import it.
Old 28th October 2011, 20:55   #26
BHPian

Can I import a second hand just for spares. No register,Just pay customs and transport to home.
Old 24th February 2012, 21:42   #27

Hey guys

I live in California US and I have a 2003 ford mustang with a couple of mods. I absolutely love my car and would like to bring it with me to India. I have been here in US for more than 2.5 years and have owned this car for over 2 years. My question is can I bring it back home (India)? If yes then where do I start. In addition to this if this is not possible without getting it converted to RHS can I buy something equally good from UK and bring that to India?

I don't want to get into the task of converting an LHS car to RHS coz that would be a huge pain.
Old 25th February 2012, 00:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepdua
Hey guys

I live in California US and I have a 2003 ford mustang with a couple of mods. I absolutely love my car and would like to bring it with me to India. I have been here in US for more than 2.5 years and have owned this car for over 2 years. My question is can I bring it back home (India)? If yes then where do I start. In addition to this if this is not possible without getting it converted to RHS can I buy something equally good from UK and bring that to India?

I don't want to get into the task of converting an LHS car to RHS coz that would be a huge pain.
Unfortunately you cannot bring an LHD car in India. When I returned to India last year I had the same desire to bring my X5, but based on research I did at that time, I gave up on the idea. Converting an LHD vehicle to RHD is not advisable either. I am not sure about buying something in UK and bringing it here though. Hopefully someone knows the answer to that.
Old 29th December 2013, 22:54   #29
BHPian

How about a 1990 model mini cooper from the UK? Is it possible to bring it down to India in TR? Any clue about the duty levied?
Old 30th December 2013, 00:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSC View Post
There is no issues now. You can import second hand cars Under duty or under EPCG..
Hey can you elalobarte on this? Can a second hand car be imported by anyone? As Indian residing in india

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks