Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2013, 09:19   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
How about a 1990 model mini cooper from the UK? Is it possible to bring it down to India in TR? Any clue about the duty levied?
I think you would need to prove that you have owned this car for 2 years before you import edit. Duty will be 160%, based on depreciated price I think but this is agree area. You will not be able to sell car for 5 years though.
Old 14th June 2014, 14:49   #32
BHPian

Re: Importing a car from the UK?

Hi, sorry for bumping this thread. I'm interested in importing a (brand new) Jaguar XF Sportbrake or E-Class Estate or VW Passat Combi from the UK. Contacted a self-proclaimed 'importer' of cars here in Delhi, but he says he'll only import 'luxury cars' and therefore none of my three choices. Does anyone know how I can go about this?
Old 15th June 2014, 00:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigissimo View Post
Hi, sorry for bumping this thread. I'm interested in importing a (brand new) Jaguar XF Sportbrake or E-Class Estate or VW Passat Combi from the UK. Contacted a self-proclaimed 'importer' of cars here in Delhi, but he says he'll only import 'luxury cars' and therefore none of my three choices. Does anyone know how I can go about this?
I think if you are ready to pay the 160% tax on the value of the car at customs. You shouldn't be having any problem at all.

Not sure if it's more for getting an estate here though. Maybe someone here can help you on that.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 10:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I think if you are ready to pay the 160% tax on the value of the car at customs. You shouldn't be having any problem at all.

Not sure if it's more for getting an estate here though. Maybe someone here can help you on that.
I don't mind paying the duty as much as I do navigating all the red tape. Hopefully someone can refer me to a reliable guy I can outsource this job to.

Also AFAIK estates attract the same duty, given that they're basically the same car as the saloon version with the same engine.
Old 15th June 2014, 13:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

now that this thread is opened again, I have a few questions.

I live in Finland and could be here for 2-3 more years. I have been thinking about importing a RHD car from UK or Japan (yes, I am allowed to drive a RHD in Finland).

If I own this RHD for 2 yrs here in Finland, can I import it into India when I plan to get back? What are the criteria? age of car, certification, documents etc etc..any conditions to be met?

How would the car be valued (post depreciation) for the 160% tax?

any help would be great.
Old 15th June 2014, 14:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't mind paying the duty as much as I do navigating all the red tape. Hopefully someone can refer me to a reliable guy I can outsource this job to.
As you are based in Delhi so a link is here for your consideration: https://www.facebook.com/BBToyz (Big Boy Toyz). The outlet is located in Gurgaon and deals in imported cars.

In case you may not have visited this entity then please do so as per your comfort. I am sure you will be helped for your concern by them in the best way.

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 15:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
As you are based in Delhi so a link is here for your consideration: https://www.facebook.com/BBToyz (Big Boy Toyz). The outlet is located in Gurgaon and deals in imported cars.

In case you may not have visited this entity then please do so as per your comfort. I am sure you will be helped for your concern by them in the best way.

Thanks.
Thank you for the reference, ad3952n. I am indeed based in Delhi. BBT owns Magnus Cars, a pretty large importer. I spoke to someone senior at the latter and the gentleman also refused the job. According to him, all three of my choices "are already available in India and can be obtained by contacting their respective dealerships." Politely tried to explain that he has incorrect information but that didn't work.
I did call Jaguar and Mercedes but no one at their dealerships knew what those cars even were!

Currently on the hunt for a more flexible importer.
Old 16th June 2014, 08:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Why don't you contact the dealer.

Usually dealers help customers import these vehicles. In jaguar's and Merc's case this should be easier since dealers may be regularly importing exotic models for customers.
Old 16th June 2014, 08:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
now that this thread is opened again, I have a few questions.

I live in Finland and could be here for 2-3 more years. I have been thinking about importing a RHD car from UK or Japan (yes, I am allowed to drive a RHD in Finland).

If I own this RHD for 2 yrs here in Finland, can I import it into India when I plan to get back? What are the criteria? age of car, certification, documents etc etc..any conditions to be met?

How would the car be valued (post depreciation) for the 160% tax?

any help would be great.
I believe you would be exempted from paying the 160% tax as long as you have lived continously abroad for two years and you owned the car for atleast an years. Also the car should comply with all the RHD parameters including headlight photometry.

http://www.namasthenri.com/import/importcar.html
Old 16th June 2014, 13:08   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
...If I own this RHD for 2 yrs here in Finland, can I import it into India when I plan to get back? What are the criteria? age of car, certification, documents etc etc..any conditions to be met? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
I believe you would be exempted from paying the 160% tax as long as you have lived continously abroad for two years and you owned the car for atleast an years. Also the car should comply with all the RHD parameters including headlight photometry...
IIRC, one needs to own the car for 3 years and once imported, they can NOT sell it for the next 5 years.
Old 16th June 2014, 17:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you can request Jaguar India to bring it for you specially and they will comply mostly. Even Mercedes might but I have my doubt on Volkswagen. Better instead of handling it on your own.
Shanksta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 17:43   #42
BHPian

Interesting! My question is for cars that are already a CBU here in India, Will they cost an Individual about the same if he/she personally imports it or will it be more/less? I am talking about the landed cost post duties.

I know someone who imported an infinti in India, Will ask him about the details, but all i know is that he paid alot for the car he got and I am not sure if its worth the effort as it took him about a month (Day night work) to get the car into his garage.
Old 13th June 2015, 03:09   #43
BHPian

I have recently relocated to UK for 2 -3 years and have purchased an Audi A6, 2008 make.

Was wondering if would be able to bring car along upon completion. Transport costs isn't deal breaker since I would be getting a container and do not have anything else significant to bring along.

Need to evaluate

Feasibility
Cost
Practicality (UK spec vs Indian, heard A/Cs in Indian specs are higher capacity, GC issues, tyres availability)

Rgds,
Old 14th June 2015, 21:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
I have recently relocated to UK for 2 -3 years and have purchased an Audi A6, 2008 make.

Was wondering if would be able to bring car along upon completion. Transport costs isn't deal breaker since I would be getting a container and do not have anything else significant to bring along.

Need to evaluate

Feasibility
Cost
Practicality (UK spec vs Indian, heard A/Cs in Indian specs are higher capacity, GC issues, tyres availability)

Rgds,
Really not worth it if you ask me. You'll be paying ridiculous amount of taxes and on top of that you will have to shell a whole lot on maintenance once you bring it here.

Better get a brand new car in India itself with warranty and service packages.
Old 23rd December 2015, 17:29   #45

Did anyone here actually import a car from the UK? I am interested in the Classic Mini from there but it's really hard to find information on exactly how to go about it - the dealers in the UK don't want anything to do with the long process that India has.

Any one who has had prior experience, please help!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks