Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:12   #331
BHPian

Well, the problem in India is people are more interested to follow what others say like not good looking, "mehanga hai", plasticky etc etc. I have a logan GLS 1.6 for 2 years now and i am more than satisfied with my vehicle. People in india wants price reduction for everything and not at all bothered about quality. This is a kind of mantra of price reduction for all products from soap to truck. I am mostly laughing when someone comparing a logan to indigo. Both are vastly different in quality. My logan was hit in traffic alteast 100 times in chennai traffic and the body quality and bumper quality is so good that i got nothing more than paint peel-offs. Ride quality is one of the best in logan which comes to the league of innova/accord. There is still a cheaper 1.4L version of logan. The problem is MARKETING. Neither mahindra nor renault is bothered to promote the car.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:20   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
The problem is MARKETING. Neither mahindra nor renault is bothered to promote the car.
I agree, 'most' of the problem was in this dept. There are worse products but if marketed correctly/wisely, they become huge successes. They could have done better than marketing the 'Wide Body' car feature alone.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:35   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is MARKETING. Neither mahindra nor renault is bothered to promote the car.
Completely agree. The marketing was shoddy.. and half hearted in my opinion.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:30   #334
Senior - BHPian

Btw I read somewhere that a facelifted version of Logan will be launched in India in 2010!? - http://www.******************/faceli...ogan-launched/

Any idea?
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:03   #335
BHPian

not just mkting - external styling too

Hyd has many (seems like thousands) of Logans as cabs and whenever I hired one, I found the ride quality superb. The interiors are spacious, comfortable and amazing boot space. Lots of times, I prefered the Logan over the Innova - Logan is solidly planted doing 100kmph on the ORR. I never felt thrown around or nervous with a stranger driving me at 100kmph.
The plastics felt a bit low quality (maybe because it was a cab and heavily used).

I even considered buying it at one point but held back due to a couple of reasons - not too much in love with the obtuse angled body styling (could have been more strainght fwd - Feista is clean, attractive and conservative at the same time) and also wanted a bit more of a performance car. Else Logan is an excellent all round mid-sized family sedan.

Its a pity it didn't catch on more with people.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:29   #336
BHPian

I don't think the Logan 1.6 is sold anymore (its not specified in their website)
IMO these are the reason which led to the dismal sales

1. Selling the Logan through M&M dealerships- M&M dealerships are the last place which comes in mind when you plan to buy a car.
2.Single product strategy- Renault is no RR to pull this off. Lancer could do it because unlike the Logan it was a driver's car and this was a long time back when the Indian market had just opened up. A single product lineup means less number of cars on the roads and less brand awareness among general public.
4. Design- the decade old Ikon had more curves and was more premium looking than the logan.Never looked the price so as to attract customers.Interior quality was bad too.
5.Engine- the diesel variant was very sluggish and expensive too.
3.Price- it should not have been more than 6lakh and that too for a car proclaimed itself as being the cheapest sedan. (Logan was cheap around the globe but not in India)
4.Promotion- Renault somehow was never serious on its plans for India and was moving at a very slow pace.
5.Taxi image
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:32   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnetid View Post
Hyd has many (seems like thousands) of Logans as cabs and whenever I hired one, I found the ride quality superb. The interiors are spacious, comfortable and amazing boot space. Lots of times, I prefered the Logan over the Innova - Logan is solidly planted doing 100kmph on the ORR. I never felt thrown around or nervous with a stranger driving me at 100kmph.
The plastics felt a bit low quality (maybe because it was a cab and heavily used).

I even considered buying it at one point but held back due to a couple of reasons - not too much in love with the obtuse angled body styling (could have been more strainght fwd - Feista is clean, attractive and conservative at the same time) and also wanted a bit more of a performance car. Else Logan is an excellent all round mid-sized family sedan.

Its a pity it didn't catch on more with people.
Yes, its exactly the same reason others are also not looking to this car. The looks definitely matters, then comes the features and stuff. Just my opinion.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:54   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the problem in India is people are more interested to follow what others say like not good looking, "mehanga hai", plasticky etc etc. I have a logan GLS 1.6 for 2 years now and i am more than satisfied with my vehicle. People in india wants price reduction for everything and not at all bothered about quality. This is a kind of mantra of price reduction for all products from soap to truck. I am mostly laughing when someone comparing a logan to indigo. Both are vastly different in quality. My logan was hit in traffic alteast 100 times in chennai traffic and the body quality and bumper quality is so good that i got nothing more than paint peel-offs. Ride quality is one of the best in logan which comes to the league of innova/accord. There is still a cheaper 1.4L version of logan. The problem is MARKETING. Neither mahindra nor renault is bothered to promote the car.

You are so damn right. I always had a Laguna ( Logan's equivalent in Europe), never had a problem for three years. Even by Indian standards, Logan is wider than an SUV. I love Logan
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:09   #339
aby
BHPian

sooner or later (more likely sooner), over 50k Black cabs in Mumbai have to be replaced. How much longer can you keep running a 20+ year old car from a now defunct company.

Isn't Logan best placed to be the replacement car. Recently I read an article where the company refused to let it's cars be used as black taxis. Not a great business decision I suppose.
Old 7th November 2009, 16:29   #340
Senior - BHPian

Logan 1.6 petrol is discontinued.

just received the updated brochure, it has:

regular logan (1.4=petrol, 1.5=diesel)
  • 1.4 GL
  • 1.4 GLE/1.5 DLE
  • 1.4 GLX/ 1.5 DLX
  • 1.5 DLSx with ABS and driver airbag
Logan edge connect:
  • 1.4 GLX/ 1.5 DLX
  • 1.5 DLSx with ABS and driver airbag
Logan play:
  • 1.4 GLX and 1.5 DLX only.
Old 7th November 2009, 16:54   #341
Senior - BHPian

Sid, what are the prices of the above specified models? Have they cut it?

Last edited by theMAG : 9th November 2009 at 09:13. Reason: Removing the long quote for easier readability !
Old 9th November 2009, 05:28   #342
BHPian

Future of Logan owners

Hi Guys,

As we all know, the Logan sales are really down. The 1.6 has been discontinued.
I am in kind of a double predicament. I own a Logan and that too the 1.6 GLS one

Although I have absolutely no issues against the car, I am begining to get worried about the future ownership experience from the spare parts availability perspective.

Has any Logan owner (especially the ones in Noida) faced or facing any issues regarding the spare parts availability?
Old 9th November 2009, 09:14   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am begining to get worried about the future ownership experience from the spare parts availability perspective.
Suggested recourse is to sell the car if possible. Parts availability will certainly become an issue.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:46   #344
BHPian

My views -
Every product has its life cycle, Logan has done extremely well in her life cycle. A single model can last todays market not more than 5 years. Mahindra got license to make only one model in India and they encashed that in fullest. According to me its a tremendous marketing policy. Mahindra sold dated boxy looking Logan to the thousands of common people, introduced this car as taxi in metros like Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore. Company wants revenue and Mahindra was hugely successful to generate mollah with one model. Now Logan's life cycle has reached the plateau stage thus this is the time to bring an all new model with more contemporary design and refined, fuel efficient engine.
Old 9th November 2009, 23:57   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
My views -
Every product has its life cycle, Logan has done extremely well in her life cycle. A single model can last todays market not more than 5 years.
Exactly. You are absolutely correct. It should not be like M800 which is running from past 20+ yrs in Indian road. Phasing out model will bring us more and more advanced car.
About spares; if we still get a Zen's spare then I dont think that u have any problem getting spare for anther 5 yrs. Obviously if dealers does not play foul game.

Most Viewed