Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2007, 14:52   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO, not just cost-cutting but also for country-specific regulations and/or the technology used. I remember when in the UK, my hired Renault Clio & Mercedes A Class had the stalks on opposing sides. In fact, Mercedes uses a proprietary 'main' stalk which combines even more functions than usual!

Further,one can easily get used to the 'wrong' side after driving the particular model for a week. The problem arises when one regularly drives 2 cars with opposing stalks! I am forever mixing them up with my Indica and Aveo .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
All Ford, GM cars have this feature since they do cost cutting and just install the original left side steering to the right.
Old 18th December 2007, 14:58   #32
BHPian

With due respects when Logan was launched I read somewhere that they were expecting a break even in first year and prodution was to acheive a run rate of 50,000 p.a. in second quarter .
I guess they tried to achive the target in 6 months as dealers started asking for advance right at the time of launch plus the horrible advt. of girl ,helicopter and back seat looks like they were selling some sof not car .
Old 18th December 2007, 14:59   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have said it before, and will say it again. The Logan is a cheap car that didnt really end up cheap in India! Everyone expected it to be a bargain-basement deal. What happened finally? It wound up more expensive than the Indigo!

1. The diesel variant (expectedly the most popular) is overpriced by atleast 10%. Most people looking for a 5 - 6 lakh diesel sedan want only functionality; something that the significantly cheaper Indigo provides plenty of. A premium of 75 grand over the Indigo diesel is a LOT of money for this segment.

2. Image : Sad to say, the hype and market image of the Logan as a "cheap" car killed it. In India, a car is the most significant status symbol after your house (more in some cases). And people do care for what their car says about them.

3. Cut-price everything. This has already been discussed to death, but the Logan offers so little in terms of frills. I mean, come on, no boot release! Even the entry-level Altos and Indicas offer it!!

4. Looks : Different from image, mind you. Many would be surprised to know how many cars sell on looks alone (anyone remember a hot hatch called the Swift)? The Logan looks like its out of the eighties.

That said, the Logan is a competent sedan with its great diesel, superb ride quality and roomy interiors. It desperately needs a price correction and some more basic necessities bolted-on, to bounce back into contention. But if you are going to ask for a premium for a "cheap" car, your product is all set to take a bath in the market.

P.S. = A little birdie tells me that a price cut is to be expected.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:23   #34
BHPian

Another issue which was glossed over in the hype is that Version being sold in India is an even more downgraded one from Eurpoean version . in terms of engine at least ( stripping off 1.5 Dci by Intercooler ) making a cheap car a " beggars car "
Old 18th December 2007, 15:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
What surprised me is that Mahindra failed to see this too.
Ahhh. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

As for the topic on hand, I think a price cut is in the offing. What say?
Old 18th December 2007, 15:46   #36
BHPian

All they need to do is to rationalise the prices and everythng would be forgotten
Old 18th December 2007, 15:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. = A little birdie tells me that a price cut is to be expected.
The dealers have already offering discounts ranging between 13 to 19k, again based on finance availed.

That is expected sooner or later. Better still they give more creature comforts for the same price.

They sure have a winner, which needs just a price correction. But again the new launches in 2008 can make the situation worse
Old 18th December 2007, 16:08   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
There is no doubt that Mahindra got over ambitious with the Logan project.

Adding fuel to fire, there is absolutely no marketing for the Logan. Has anybody noticed this?. Even TATA is advertising for FIAT now a days for JV sake. But Mahindra is not doing anything to woo buyers. But down south here, it is selling like hot cakes (Have one more buyer at office going for a 1.4 petrol- that makes 4 in office).

Add the Wipers meant for Left Hand Drive vehicles to the list.. a pain really
The first person who has at least told in the forum of the wipers.
I dont know how LOGAN owners have not complained to the company.
5 of my LOGAN owner friends did not even notice it.
Forget it EVEN AUTOCAR,OVERDRIVE HAVE NOT MENTIONED IT IN THEIR REVIEWS or other articles.
May be they used the punch set and wiper unit from Europe
Old 18th December 2007, 16:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

All that said, it is a good honest car with loads of space, a nice diesel engine, massive boot and surprisingly good ride.
Old 18th December 2007, 16:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
But down south here, it is selling like hot cakes (Have one more buyer at office going for a 1.4 petrol- that makes 4 in office).
I believe sales are pathetic in Kerala, which is traditionally a diesel stronghold and a huge market for ANY new product. Anything new gets bought in that state, especially if its on wheels. We havent even seen the 'new' hype out there for this car.
Old 18th December 2007, 16:16   #41
Team-BHP Support

I had a look at pugram's logan. The space inside is enormous, the mafia would love the trunk space. Yeah, it is very plain, but how can people ignore 22kmpl on highway in a diesel sedan?
Old 18th December 2007, 16:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I believe sales are pathetic in Kerala, which is traditionally a diesel stronghold and a huge market for ANY new product. Anything new gets bought in that state, especially if its on wheels. We havent even seen the 'new' hype out there for this car.
Oooops. I think i overdid it. I was meaning Tamilnadu. I see a lot of Logans in chennai and heard from a friend at Coimbatore that sales are good.
Old 18th December 2007, 16:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Apparently, Reliance has just brought 200 units of the Logan for the new Taxi service they're about to launch. Would be interesting to see what the old buyer's would like to say to this.

X
Old 18th December 2007, 16:26   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Logan was positioned in the Entry-level (Basic) Sedan segment, and if it has sold more than Ikon, Esteem and gave Indigo a run for its money, it can be called a success!
Low sales in Nov & Dec could be attributed to the year-end factor & almost all car brands are affected by the same.

This feature was there in Corsa too, not sure if rectified in Aveo.
Not a pain once you get used to it.
My two cents
I dont think PUGRAM ment Stalks of wiper controls only.
RIGHT HAND DRIVE CARS WIPERS CLEANS THE RIGHT CORNER FULLY i.e. DRIVERS SIDE
Wiper in Right hand drive cars starts to move from left to right (the blade is upright in the right corner ) driver gets a fully clean glass on his side, and in case of left hand drive cars from right to left.

In case of LOGAN due to this you do not have a clear vision in rain on the top half of the driver side glass.

I have noticed in Honda CIVIC that both corners of the Glass are clean as Both the wipers start from center and move outwards.

So this type of wiper configuration can be used on Left and Right hand drive carscan be used
Old 18th December 2007, 16:28   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmanjunath View Post
The first person who has at least told in the forum of the wipers.
I dont know how LOGAN owners have not complained to the company.
This has been pointed out by almost all those who reviewed the Logan. At the same time even GM and Ford were blamed. So, its not that these were overlooked.

Most Viewed