Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2007, 22:00   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Apparently, Reliance has just brought 200 units of the Logan for the new Taxi service they're about to launch. Would be interesting to see what the old buyer's would like to say to this.

X
LOL i have seen ford fiesta's used as taxis in chennai . i own a petrol GLS logan
Old 18th December 2007, 22:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is finance discount really a discount? Either ways, I meant a price correction in the cars list price (independent of finance).
13 k is the upfront discount they are offering, when i last heard and an additional 6k, if finance taken from them. I did not give the breakup.

Most European spec cars have this problem of Bonnet release on the passenger side and the opposite placement of wiper / light stalks. This is nothing new and was the case with my old Peugeot 309 GLD of 1997 make, neither did it have a remote boot release lever. I am told even the Ford Ikon did not have a remote boot release, which they added later.

Taxi or not is not the question. What we want from the car we want to own is the question to be pondered. For some the frills, for some the works. To each man his own. Even a Rolls Royce can be hired. Does that mean its bad. Nope

Last edited by pugram : 18th December 2007 at 22:47.
Old 18th December 2007, 23:25   #63

I really can not understand why people on this forum are so much biased against logan.

I see all the owners are very happy with Logan. Indigo shares indica's ridiculous dashboard, Boot with all rear suspension protruding inside, has a lousy ride and noisy engine.. I do not know what goodies does indigo come with other than it's being cheep.

Logan is surely a reliable option available to customers and if Number of vehicles sold will be considered as criteria i think Palio,petra,fusion did nothing better. All these are good vehicles that did not click.

Indians seem to buy car based on so called "Market report".. this seems to be not going in logan's favor right now.. but product is solid and those who got good deals with logan are the happiest lot!

For great space, ride, handling, Low NVH (without damping materials) and renault clio's bit old but reliable engine Logan story is far from over.
Old 19th December 2007, 09:45   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
So were the Ikons too! Ain't it? Dunno if it shocks many here!
Zakkie, if that were true, it would have shocked many. But its not so.
The lever for the same is located below the steering column, as 1100D clarified.

That the Flair has no remote boot release is a grouse which i have pointed out time n time again. However i believe it was standard on the higher end versions. Not sure, though.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
I really can not understand why people on this forum are so much biased against logan...
I think there is no bias against the Logan as such. The issue is about what the Logan gives for the price it goes for.

It is indeed a good car, with all the benefits you have mentioned -- when it comes for a price about 1L to 1.5L lesser than what they ask for it now.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:17   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hydrashok : It is indeed a good car, with all the benefits you have mentioned -- when it comes for a price about 1L to 1.5L lesser than what they ask for it now.
Once the Logan gets there, we can take up the next point - about it's styling.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:32   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
has a lousy ride and noisy engine..
Take anything away from the Indigo, but not the ride quality. It is excellent!

Quote:
Low NVH (without damping materials)
The Logan is anything but low NVH; in fact that is one other area that they have skimped on. I have done a 100+ in the petrol and the diesel. Significant noise was filtering through the cabin.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

Talk to someone who does not know the price or that it was supposed to be a cheap car. The first impression is it looks bad. Thats the main reason.
Old 19th December 2007, 14:08   #69
BHPian

One of the many reasons for Logan not doing well could be lack of management focus from JV partners . Look at it
Nissan : On its own selling high end cars / SUV
Mahindra : Focus seems to be on entry into SUV market in US , talks of another Car JV with Ford
Renault : JV with Ashok Leyland for CV's and with Bajaj for Lakhtakia's

This alliance itself is more opportunistic than strategic in intent and one of the reasons where we may not see a quick turnaround .
Old 19th December 2007, 15:18   #70
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit27 View Post
One of the many reasons for Logan not doing well could be lack of management focus from JV partners . Look at it
Nissan : On its own selling high end cars / SUV
Mahindra : Focus seems to be on entry into SUV market in US , talks of another Car JV with Ford
Renault : JV with Ashok Leyland for CV's and with Bajaj for Lakhtakia's

This alliance itself is more opportunistic than strategic in intent and one of the reasons where we may not see a quick turnaround .
naa...its simply the market positioning of this car. Its price is not that of an entry level sedan and its quality is not that of a mid-level sedan. So it just ends up competing with ikon/esteem/indigo and fiesta/verna/sx4/aveo segments and does not have a USP for either segment.

People who were purchasing logan were folks who wanted a diesel sedan and didnt want a indigo and couldnt go for higher end fiesta etc. Now with Swift sedan around the corner and if priced right, Mahindra-renault can expect a massive drop in sales.
Old 19th December 2007, 15:27   #71
BHPian

Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
naa...its simply the market positioning of this car. Its price is not that of an entry level sedan and its quality is not that of a mid-level sedan. So it just ends up competing with ikon/esteem/indigo and fiesta/verna/sx4/aveo segments and does not have a USP for either segment.

People who were purchasing logan were folks who wanted a diesel sedan and didnt want a indigo and couldnt go for higher end fiesta etc. Now with Swift sedan around the corner and if priced right, Mahindra-renault can expect a massive drop in sales.
This is very apt explanation for the Logan mess. Its exactly the situation i am in.
Hope for price correction !!!
Old 19th December 2007, 20:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Logan is surely a reliable option available to customers

.. but product is solid
Too early to talk about reliability and solidity. Lets see how long it lasts. Its amazing how people begin talking about reliability and other long-term issues on a new car.

Quote:
For great space, ride, handling, Low NVH (without damping materials) and renault clio's bit old but reliable engine Logan story is far from over.
It does not offer significantly greater space than its natural competitor, the Indigo.

Mahindra spent a lot of marketing money to get the car positioned with the Vernas and the Fiestas of the world - witness the various 'comparison tests' by our helpful automags where the Logan was compared with every car other than the Indigo. Almost like the Indigo was an outcast.

When you go out of the way to position the Logan against those cars, people that go to look at the car feel majorly short-changed.

Mahindra took great pains to NOT position this car against the Indigo (keeping the taxi market away, etc), which was a huge marketing error. After 2 months of decent numbers (not sales - the first two months "sales" are always attributable to bulk sales and other momentum-generation activities including sales to "friendly customers" by the manufacturer than any real sales unless its a Maruti) their REAL customer numbers dont look healthy at all.

IMHO they would've done better if they had gone head-to-head against the Indigo. Its a bit too late now - by the time they do that the Indigo will have an XL, a Regular and a notchback with 2 petrol and 2 diesel engine options.

I think Mahindra gifted Tata some breathing space with their upward provisioning, something they may regret soon.

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th December 2007 at 20:53.
Old 19th December 2007, 21:01   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
IMHO they would've done better if they had gone head-to-head against the Indigo. Its a bit too late now - by the time they do that the Indigo will have an XL, a Regular and a notchback with 2 petrol and 2 diesel engine options.
By the time Mahindra comes up with a price correction, the 'Indigo notch' would have taken the VFM game to another level!
Old 19th December 2007, 22:04   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Too early to talk about reliability and solidity. Lets see how long it lasts. Its amazing how people begin talking about reliability and other long-term issues on a new car.
There are more than 300000 Logans on road around the world.. It is not a surrogate design derived from something. It has been design the way it is and Lot has been written about it.. It amazing how people start discounting a product without even understanding it in right sense..

I think it's fair to talk about at what price it should be sold but Product is good.
Old 19th December 2007, 23:19   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Chennai BHPian Pugram owns a Diesel Logan, and he is very happy with it. I agree it is basic, that way what Indian car isn't basic?
Very true, only that people have some sort of high expectation with the renault badge, i guess.

I am very surprised at so many people here going against the logan. Have you all actually sat inside this vehicle, yes, some of you have. Yeah, it is agreed by one & all that it is slightly overpriced, so are every other product on the supermarket shelf. Some people swear by the Indigo or the safari, yes they are great products by an Indian company & we choose to accept them in spite of their defects. Why would you want to put down a reasonably VFM car just because you think it is overpriced ? Do you mean to say that M & M did not have any vision at all in introducing this car at this price point ?

How many of you bought the baleno during 1999/2000 ? or the safari in 1998 ? The Logan is doing much better than these. Just MHO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks