Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 23:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am very surprised at so many people here going against the logan. Have you all actually sat inside this vehicle, yes, some of you have.
John

Nobody here is 'against' anything, but people are here to talk about cars and that is what is happening.

I doubt if anyone here has actually talked the car down. I think its clear that the principle issue here is the pricing and positioning - there is no emotion around it.

And to answer your question, would you buy a Logan if you had the money they ask for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Do you mean to say that M & M did not have any vision at all in introducing this car at this price point ?
I dont know about others, but I think my post is rather clear and it doesnt "mean to say so" - it actually says so.

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th December 2007 at 23:36.
Old 19th December 2007, 23:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chennai BHPian Pugram owns a Diesel Logan, and he is very happy with it. I agree it is basic, that way what Indian car isn't basic?
When i ay basic, it is just way basic. Sit in a Logan and you would know what i mean to say. I mean just look at a SX4, Verna, Accent, they dont look as basic as the Logan. I sat in one out of curiosity and was shocked.
Old 19th December 2007, 23:58   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I doubt if anyone here has actually talked the car down. I think its clear that the principle issue here is the pricing and positioning - there is no emotion around it.

I dont know about others, but I think my post is rather clear and it doesnt "mean to say so" - it actually says so.
Steer, I understand the concern that such a 'basic' car should not be priced like it is & i understand people who really know about the stuff talking that way.

It has off late become a habit here just to follow the cue of a senior member (No one in particular) & just bash up a product. There are knowledgeable members out here who have made their own research & bought something that they think is worth the money. M & M is a well established company in India (Unlike GM or Fiat who like to scoot at the first signs of failure) & they will be around to support their product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
And to answer your question, would you buy a Logan if you had the money they ask for it?
I certainly wouldn't, simply because my taste is different, i would wait a while & get myself an used Cedia. But i form a less than 2% of the car market.
Old 20th December 2007, 07:30   #79
BANNED

I don't understand why the AGAINST and FOR policy should be played up! If that's not discussed, then what should be?
Being an internet forum, it'll always tend to have a bit of the goat herd syndrome. It's absolutely normal.

Regarding the Logan, I have nothing against the car other than it's price. It's supposed to be a good, basic, VFM car with lots of space. And it is indeed a good, basic car with lots of space but not much of VFM. That almost spoils the real purpose of this car here.
Old 20th December 2007, 08:25   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
esteem_lover : ...a reasonably VFM car .. overpriced ...
That's an Oxymoron.
Quote:
esteem_lover : How many of you bought the baleno during 1999/2000 ? or the safari in 1998 ? The Logan is doing much better than these.
Baleno (even in 1999/2000) was always over-priced, except for the last couple of years of it's showroom life. That's why it failed.

If M&M wanted to position the Logan alongside the SX-4 or Ford Fiesta, then the Logan should have been able to match these in all aspects, and not just the price alone. The company & partners in question would have done their homework before taking a decision about the positioning of the car. But the customer & the public cannot be wrong. The success of the car lies in it's sales & acceptance, both of which are missing.

Today the market feels that the Logan lacks some things that are there in the products that it is competing with (as per the company). And what it provides is already available at a better price in another product. With much better support facilities & resale possibilities.

What was wrong with the Safari in 1998 ? It was new then, successful after that.

Last edited by condor : 20th December 2007 at 08:26.
Old 20th December 2007, 09:12   #81
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

What was wrong with the Safari in 1998 ? It was new then, successful after that.
OT: that point is debatable, but lets not digress.

Back to Logan - why should a car-buyer buy a logan?
Old 20th December 2007, 09:23   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

The steering is there to help us turn the discussion back in the original direction ..
Old 20th December 2007, 09:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

Let's take this thread into another direction. Give your suggestions, on what can be done to improve its sales. And please, keep it realistic (no two lakh discounts or engines for sale stuff)!

My suggestions:
1) Price correction. Price for the basic variants should come down by atleast 50k (which did happen in the 1.4's case in diwali). And for the higher variants atleast 75k+.
2) Throw those horrible interiors out, bring in a new dashboard, door pads. and it should look expensive and justify the price tag the car is carrying. improve the fit and finish quality.
3) Change those wipers. they look ugly and move in the wrong direction.
4) give that remote boot open as standard (which is now being offered as an extra).
5) Bring in airbags and abs in all variants, atleast as an option.
6) Bring in the 16 valve petrols (the 1.6 100 bhp petrol and an 85 bhp 1.4) and the 85bhp dci.
7) Bring in the Sandero look ASAP! (Even though it will affect me badly )
8) Get those stupid a/c knobs to rotate in the right direction, the indian way!

anymore? and please no more funny s**t!
Old 20th December 2007, 10:03   #84
BHPian

I would say for me to give Logan a thought :

75 K discount on the Diesel alone, will get it in the reckoning.
Will be delighted if they provide RHD control stalks and wiper.

Am i asking for too much ???
Old 20th December 2007, 10:05   #85
Team-BHP Support

IMO, where the Logan failed is in its positioning. It should have been fighting it out with the entry C segmenters, and not the Fiesta, Verna, Aveo category.

When a person spends close to 7-8 lakhs on car, expectations shoot skywards.
Old 20th December 2007, 10:09   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ashutoshb : .. suggestions, on what can be done to improve its sales. And please, keep it realistic (no two lakh discounts or engines for sale stuff)!

anymore?
Ashu, if M&M Renault does implement all that you have have listed here, they will definitely hike the price instead of correcting it.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:08   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why would you want to put down a reasonably VFM car just because you think it is overpriced ?
Self-contradiction? Again, check my review on the Logan. I appreciate the robustness and competent diesel engine, but its just way too basis. And over-priced. Slash the diesel by 50 - 75K....then we are talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
IMO, where the Logan failed is in its positioning. It should have been fighting it out with the entry C segmenters, and not the Fiesta, Verna, Aveo category.

When a person spends close to 7-8 lakhs on car, expectations shoot skywards.
Totally. The Logan with its bare basic appointments came around the same time that the SX4 did with standard equipment that beat cars from a segment above!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

2) Throw those horrible interiors out, bring in a new dashboard, door pads. and it should look expensive and justify the price tag the car is carrying. improve the fit and finish quality.
4) give that remote boot open as standard (which is now being offered as an extra).
6) Bring in the 16 valve petrols (the 1.6 100 bhp petrol and an 85 bhp 1.4) and the 85bhp dci.
Huh? And hike up the manufacturing costs by another 50 - 75 grand?
Old 20th December 2007, 12:36   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
When i ay basic, it is just way basic. Sit in a Logan and you would know what i mean to say. I mean just look at a SX4, Verna, Accent, they dont look as basic as the Logan. I sat in one out of curiosity and was shocked.
BUSA, I made my comment after sitting in Pugram's Logon. I wasn't shocked, may be because I was driving the MM550 whole of that day. That way even GV/Baleno/Fiesta looks very plain compared to the cars I drove in the 90s. The only issue with Logan is that it is priced wrong, making it compared with the SX4/Fiesta/Aveo/Verna. If it was priced 1-1.5L cheaper, all the Ikon/Esteem buyers would have flocked towards Logan.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:40   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
My suggestions:
1) Price correction. Price for the basic variants should come down by atleast 50k (which did happen in the 1.4's case in diwali). And for the higher variants atleast 75k+.

Okay that would bring it back to the 6 lakh range.

Add Rs.50,000?

Add Rs.5,000?

Add Rs.2,500?

Add Rs.75,000 to 1 lakh. Airbags are expensive.

Add Rs.50,000

Oops - Add another Rs.50,000

Add Rs.2,500?

anymore?

Control stalks on the right side - Rs.5,000

Bonnet release on the right side - Rs.5,000

The look on the customer's face when he sees the Rs.10 lakh price tag - PRICELESS!
Old 20th December 2007, 13:49   #90
Senior - BHPian

There is only one Logan (top diesel variant) in our office parking (of some 150-odd cars) and it belongs to a colleague. He could have afforded the Fiesta-D (which I recommended to him, since he wanted only diesel and he hated the design of Swift, the other diesel I suggested). But he opted for the Logan and I think he is happy with the deal except for minor grouses.

The general opinion of the office-janta (not car enthusiasts) about the car is also good. Ofcourse, our opinion differs from the general crowd, which is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
How many of you bought the baleno during 1999/2000 ?
Hey John, keep the Baleno out of this, OK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks