Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 18:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
IMO, where the Logan failed is in its positioning. It should have been fighting it out with the entry C segmenters, and not the Fiesta, Verna, Aveo category.

When a person spends close to 7-8 lakhs on car, expectations shoot skywards.
Exactly, most people buy car in Instalments. And if they put 75-1Lac extra (may be around 1000rs etc in EMI), they may get the sx4 or Honda which has a long history, brand, A.S.S., image etc etc...

Also, when they marketed the Logan it was projected as cheap car. But when launched their cheap is expensive for common people. Thats the reason it is facing these hurdles now. May be after a year or 2 if this proves to be really sturdy and people are used to its look, may be it will be accepted as common people car.. Who knows...
Old 22nd December 2007, 03:08   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The look on the customer's face when he sees the Rs.10 lakh price tag - PRICELESS!
Very funny steeroid! But generally the second version of a car is not that more expensive than the previous one. Its not that the company will charge you for the new dashboard and the previous one too.

Mahindra will have to make changes, in order to make the car sell more. Period. Hiking the price will certainly not help. So they will have to make change without hiking the price. How they do it, be it reducing their engineers' salaries, pay less royalty to Renault.. whatever, not the customer's problem.

rgds
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:05   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Correct - how they reduce the price is in their hands. But giving it things like a new dashboard etc will mean fresh tooling. As it is they have just started. Changes in such parts will mean a lot more investment. Like you said, they cant charge extra - but they will have to absorb cost of old parts, plus design, development & production of new parts. It will be a little too much to expect from M&M-Renault to make such major changes to the interiors of the Logan so soon after launch. Heck, even after all these years, neither Maruti, Tata nor M&M or any one else has changed their dashobard (much) on any of their long running models.
Quote:
ashutoshb : ..generally the second version of a car is not that more expensive than the previous one.
In this case, it will not be a new version of the same car. If they do all the changes that we all discussed, it will qualify as a brand new car, with a brand new price tag - 10L !
Old 22nd December 2007, 14:40   #94
BHPian

Let me try to explaing from an angle of a person who didn't select the Logan.

1. Though it was marketed as a fully loaded car this car didnt have the basic comfort features like adjustable steering wheel and adjustable seats. When I took a test drive my knees were touching the steering.

2. The SX4 came out with a stinker price. The Logan 1.6 top end petrol costed around 6.72L OTR and SX4 8.12L. It will have a minor impact on my EMI and hence I found no reason to buy the Logan. As others have rightly said the Logan in nowhere in terms of the pricing. Its not competing with the Indigo, Ikon et all nor is it competing with the premium ones like Fiesta, SX4, Verna etc.

3. The car looks outdated for sure. The interiors add to the mysery. You can't have the power window switches near your foot.

I think M&M should start focussing on the Taxi segment if they are to stay in the race. The Indigo looks more attractive in the taxi segment for now. It is a nice car ruined by poor marketing and pricing. If they are to lure buyers from non-taxi segment I think they need to change the feature set for sure.
Old 22nd December 2007, 14:57   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
balaji_n29 : The Indigo looks more attractive in the taxi segment for now.
With the kind of authorised & not-authorised service facilities available for itself, and also parts availability, the Indigo (& Indica ) will continue to be attractive to the Taxi segment.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:52   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
car didnt have the basic comfort features like adjustable steering wheel and adjustable seats. When I took a test drive my knees were touching the steering.
The GLS/DLS variant has seat height adjustment.

Quote:
The SX4 came out with a stinker price. The Logan 1.6 top end petrol costed around 6.72L OTR and SX4 8.12L.
I agree, there is no comparison between the two. Logan 1.6's top variants are terribly overpriced and the other hand SX4 is good value for money.

Quote:
Its not competing with the Indigo, Ikon et all nor is it competing with the premium ones like Fiesta, SX4, Verna etc.
Still it manages to sell 1500-2000 cars per month. Don't know whose sale is it eating into. Maybe the Alto's!

Quote:
You can't have the power window switches near your foot.
Its a subjective thing. If I like the rest of the car, I'll surely crib about it, but will still manage to live with it. If I hate the car, I will make sure that I raise this point every now and then.
Old 22nd December 2007, 20:03   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If they do all the changes that we all discussed, it will qualify as a brand new car, with a brand new price tag - 10L !
What I think, Mahindra will do everything to finish that 50,000 quota they ve agreed with Renault on. So I don't think there will be any changes till the quota is done with. Maybe after that the Sandero look sedan will be introduced. At what price, I think by then, Mahindra will know how to price its sedans correctly.
Old 22nd December 2007, 22:35   #98
Senior - BHPian

They dont need to correct anything expect the price. The car was expeced to be the cheapest sedan, but its way off. It sells for 2.5Lacs abroad, but here they messed the price big time.
Old 22nd December 2007, 22:50   #99
BHPian

Ashutoshb,
Sorry i didn't mean to offend you or any of the Logan owners. All I meant to say was, M&M missed the point in pricing the car. It simply doesn't look as value for money. They could have done better. I remember Carlos Goshn saying this at the time of launch. I can't beleive they were the guys who priced the Scorpio. May be, there is a French hand involved in the pricing front.

Cheers!
Old 22nd December 2007, 23:27   #100
BHPian

Owners know how good it is

Hey ppl let me tell u first that i am vinod from chennai and i own a petrol 1.6 GLS model. I am driving the car now for a month and it has been a good experience. I took test drive of aveo/ikon/accent before looking to this and there are many things at which the logan stands apart. People who comment on the logan should take drives to experience it well. i took 3 test drives through all conditions before finalising for logan. i owned a santro previously.
Looks are extremely personal and subjective. i am ok with the looks and i personally hate the back look for my logan.
Fuel efficiecny has been so far good at gruelling and chaotic chennai traffic at 10.3kmpl. Highway mileage is 16KMpl. the car has not completed first service. So i expect these figures will improve.

Main thing is car is solid. i had 3 hits in the back bumper and one of them reasonably strong. Nothing happened other than losing some paint there. Rock solid body.

Engine is LOW RPM engine. 80KMPH gives about 2000rpm at top gear and so driveability in traffic is good.

I dont bother about the wipers as long as i can see clearly.
Its all about driving the car. The car turns sharp corners at 40-60Kmph comfortably. I took a 'U' turn at 30kmph without any issues

Actually i feel left hand is better for power window controls since using both index and small finger both windows can be operated without taking hand from steering.
The interior quality is comparable to any other car according to me. it looks nice and good. AC is very powerful. Single step fan is good enough for cooling the cabin in moderate ambient temperatures. Power loss on ac is about 10%.
Its build is sturdier than any other car in the segment with similar pricing.
not to mention space. lots of them. One irk is the horn needs to be pushed hard.
I will post more about other experiences later
:-)
Old 23rd December 2007, 00:59   #101

Quote:
2. The SX4 came out with a stinker price. The Logan 1.6 top end petrol costed around 6.72L OTR and SX4 8.12L. It will have a minor impact on my EMI and hence I found no reason to buy the Logan.
I bought 1.6 Petrol GLS(topend) at 5.88 OTR Pune during diwali.
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:03   #102
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
At what price, I think by then, Mahindra will know how to price its sedans correctly.
Possibly, but i dont think mahindra is gonna learn anything anytime soon. their understanding of customer and india's environment is poor.

apart from logan, scorpio is also priced a bit on the higher side and they messed up the 2.2 launch completely now.

1. There was so much expectation on scorpio 2.2 launch being the answer to scorpio's stability problems, but that hasnt happened. Also safari 2.2 was launched without any changes in prices, but mahindra launched a 2.2 at a price point where i doubt anyone would buy it.

2. Mahindra launched scorpio getaway here trying to imitate US. BUT, almost every manufacturer provides a cover where u can cover the flat-bed with a removable roof. With getaway, what are we gonna do when it rains or when u want to sleep in it or when u want to carry ur luggage in it? carry it in open? in India? above that, there is no option to add it as an additional feature.

So long story short - they havent learnt anything. I wont be surprised if they do this to ingenio as well.
Old 26th December 2007, 10:03   #103

The wrong side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Logan has Boot release on passenger side
That again is for cars which are left hand drive May be the wiper and boot release have been for European cars
Old 26th December 2007, 10:12   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post

Taxi or not is not the question. What we want from the car we want to own is the question to be pondered. For some the frills, for some the works. To each man his own. Even a Rolls Royce can be hired. Does that mean its bad. Nope
Taking it further
The CAR being used as a taxi is not bringing down the image of the car.
In Germany When I went first in I was surprised to see a quite a lot Taxis were Mercs
I asked some drivers of the taxis why they prefer it for TAXI.
THEY SAID GOOD BUILD QUALITY AND LONG LASTING.
Looking from that point we should be proud to have a car which is used as a TAXI
Old 26th December 2007, 11:43   #105

guys I heard from a dealer in Bangalore, the updated logan with changes in boot shape & other minor updates like wiper, boot release etc will be available by Mar 08

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks