Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2005, 21:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

if you regularly service your car as per the manufacturer recommended intervals,you will never need to take your car to a road side mechanic.

as far as ASS,i cannot comment on others,but Navnit in thane and Mandovi in mangalore rocks.
Old 24th July 2005, 23:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

my real question was

did maruti had/has a true wider network of service stations ?

or

their most talked about a.s.s. is because of (thanks to) road side mechanic ?

so basically is maruti enjoying the benifite of being the early car maker to enter in india (which gave mechanics chance to get to know car inside out) ???
Old 24th July 2005, 23:54   #18
BHPian

agen..m stupid......LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
And why the rear seat? What is the logic behind it. Please explain. Besides, the reason why they place it behind the dashboard seems rather logical. The sensor is safer there where shocks are less and the chances of accidental or intended tampering are remote.

Revv
how about fixing it somwhere on the roof....the true designer knows how to hide thingssensor safety is ok..but the effectiveness needs to be adressed........and the logic is...the dash area deffo gets cooled fast...what needs to be adressed is the rear area....the real A/c test happens out there.....otherwise we could put the sensor on the a/c panel itself and get away with it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
so basically is maruti enjoying the benifit of being the early car maker to enter in india (which gave mechanics chance to get to know car inside out) ???
exactly.........however they have a wide network of service stations.....but after the warranty is over...most of the owners go to maya puri type places( delhi ppl know what i am talking about.....)
Old 25th July 2005, 00:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
how about fixing it somwhere on the roof....the true designer knows how to hide thingssensor safety is ok..but the effectiveness needs to be adressed........and the logic is...the dash area deffo gets cooled fast...what needs to be adressed is the rear area....the real A/c test happens out there.....otherwise we could put the sensor on the a/c panel itself and get away with it.....

why are you always assuming that the car will always have passengers at back!
?
by giving sensor in front it will make effective use of ac & not by overcooling car

if sensor is at back seat then AC will have to work for a very long even if there is only one person inside
Old 25th July 2005, 07:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33

why are you always assuming that the car will always have passengers at back!
?
by giving sensor in front it will make effective use of ac & not by overcooling car

if sensor is at back seat then AC will have to work for a very long even if there is only one person inside
no further comments ... .... maruti aint listening anyways....

P.S: what if there are people in the rear n the great ACC turns off cooling..coz d cockpit area is chilled already??
Old 25th July 2005, 10:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S: what if there are people in the rear n the great ACC turns off cooling..coz d cockpit area is chilled already??
Burnt Rubber, i guess you should stop assuming and find out one basic aspect... "How does an AC work" (www.howstuffworks.com), rather than shoot your mouth off.

Revv
Old 25th July 2005, 10:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
And why the rear seat? What is the logic behind it. Please explain. Besides, the reason why they place it behind the dashboard seems rather logical. The sensor is safer there where shocks are less and the chances of accidental or intended tampering are remote.
The rear seat because, the AC vent and blowers are in the front, so the temperature will be cooler there. Lemme put it this way...
1) The climate control is set to 20 degrees celsius.
2) The vent temperature is 4 degrees celsius.
3) The rear seat is pretty hot - say 30 degrees celsius.
4) The front seat is cooler than the rear seat.

Now when the temperature in the front seat hits 20 degrees celsius, the sensor will detect that and cut off the AC. But the rear seat will be still hotter and therefore the efficiency of the system will not be good.

Experts, correct me if I have gone wrong somwhere.
Old 25th July 2005, 12:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, even the pre-sales experience with maruti people was not so good...not that resposive to queries, as if they dont need to sell....
Agree a lot with you on the hype on Maruti A.S.S. And that point about pre-sales that you highlighted was one of the reasons I am with a Petra rather than a Baleno.
Old 25th July 2005, 12:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
The rear seat because, the AC vent and blowers are in the front, so the temperature will be cooler there. Lemme put it this way...
1) The climate control is set to 20 degrees celsius.
2) The vent temperature is 4 degrees celsius.
3) The rear seat is pretty hot - say 30 degrees celsius.
4) The front seat is cooler than the rear seat.

Now when the temperature in the front seat hits 20 degrees celsius, the sensor will detect that and cut off the AC. But the rear seat will be still hotter and therefore the efficiency of the system will not be good.

Experts, correct me if I have gone wrong somwhere.
correct.this is how conventional AC's work be it window AC or splits or car AC.

BUt now in digital controlled AC's the working is bit different.
example Hitachi AC's have this feature that the sensor mounted in the front grill of the room AC does not cut off the compressor even when it detects that the temp set by the user(say 22 C) has be reached but it allows the temp at the grill to fall futher by 2-3 C and then cuts the compressor,what this ensures that the temp in the farthest part of the room will be nearer to 22 C and the average temp throughout the room will be 22 C.

Maruti may have implemented the same logic and calculated how much the temp at the front needs to fall futher to bring the rear temp to the desired temp set by the user.they could have tweaked the front sensor to cut off the compressor after the temp in the front has fallen futher by say 2-3 degrees than what was set by the user.this is all done by implementing fuzzy logic and will ensure that the average temp throughout the car will be similar.

i am saying maruti may have done this way,but there is no way i can tell what they have actually done without taking the climate control system apart.they could have done cost cutting and implemented a basic system that u have mentioned.therefore more no of sensors though benifecial may not be allways necessary to implements a good climate control system.its the way one implements the working of the sensors.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 25th July 2005 at 13:09.
Old 25th July 2005, 14:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
BUt now in digital controlled AC's the working is bit different.
Ok, I get you. The AC contains embedded software that uses some logic to extrapolate data from the sensor and calculate the optimal temperature for the whole cabin.
Old 25th July 2005, 15:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
but they are never going to be able to fix it,if it fails.
ABS, EBD and similar stuff come as "plug and play" modules. There is nothing to "Fix" in them. If they go wrong it is replaced. There is no repair work that is carried out. Of course a roadside mechanic may not be able to carry out this replacement.
Old 25th July 2005, 15:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:

that auto climate control is just a gimmick in my opinion...a climate control without sensors...what does maruti want
The ZXI has 6 sensors throughtout the cabin which support the Climate control system.
Old 25th July 2005, 16:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
Ok, I get you. The AC contains embedded software that uses some logic to extrapolate data from the sensor and calculate the optimal temperature for the whole cabin.
no there is no software inside.it is a logical circuit(1's and 0's in electronic terms) that is designed such that it cuts the cooling 2-3 C (its variable) below what has been set by the user so that the whole cabin gets cooled to the req(set) temp by the time the temp in the front decreases 2-3C.

also ritik123

according to information from someone on t-bhp there is only one sensor in the indian swift in the front dash.i dont have a swift so i have not counted the sensors and also for the ABS,EBD thing i know they are seperate modules and can be repaired(replaced) by Authorised service centers(its their job to repair what they fit in their cars and they have the tools to do it) ,what i am saying is no roadside mechanic will be able to fix it or even the Mpfi system for that matter.because if u see in india more maruti cars are repaired by roadside mechs or small garages than the service centres themselves, why because they are simple to do so and have been here for many years and are cheaper to be repaired by small garages, but with new tech like AMCC or MPFI systems small mechs are not going to able to fix them.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 25th July 2005 at 16:43.
Old 25th July 2005, 17:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a rather dumb question! How does it matter if it is one sensor or six? Agreed, 6 sensors will provide data from 6 different locations, but if they a/c is cooling through only front ducts, how does it matter? It is a different story, if there are individual ducts to cool different parts of the car separately based on feedback from sensor. But as long as cooling is done through vents on dashboard, I doubt if it would matter much. And I am not sure how many cars other than S class have separate a/c vents for different locations.
Old 25th July 2005, 17:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Burnt Rubber, i guess you should stop assuming and find out one basic aspect... "How does an AC work" (www.howstuffworks.com), rather than shoot your mouth off.

Revv
a link for u http://www.delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2004-01-1375.pdf

another word of polite advice..get above the site u mentioned...there is more to ACC than a basic air conditioning system..no doubt if IEEE has kept a price tag of $ 5 on each paper on design of the same....

and if people think maruti will go for an ASIC to do away with 5 sensors.....the development cost will make them equip the car with twin AC rather...

anyways, enough off topic discussions.....sorry adya...for derailing your thread

Most Viewed