Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 05:54   #61
BHPian

This is indeed the Toyota Ipsum. I dont think this gonna make to Indian shores in near future as Toyota took 4 long years to introduce Fortuner.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:39   #62
BHPian

Seems like india has become a testing ground for other country, dout that this will be launched here in india. Ground clearance seems low compare to the innova.
Old 14th October 2009, 11:55   #63
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the new Innova, better fortuner like rear.

The Interiors of the current fortuner are like the current Innova, this one seems to have even better interiors than the innova and also seems to be shorter and better propotioned.

forutnuer would have been better off with these interiors rather than the one in the current innova. I guess if this replaced the current innova then the fortuner interiors too would shift to this look from cost of numbers point of view.
Old 14th October 2009, 16:18   #64
BHPian

News from Mottoroids:

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-11.jpg

What you see in the photos here is the Toyota Picnic or Toyota Ipsum or Avensis Verso that was caught testing on the outskirts of Bangalore, with all its tags and badges covered. What’s more is that it was accompanied by a convoy comprising a Xylo and an Innova along with it.

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-22.jpg

Thanks to platform sharing, its styling has more than a hint of the last generation Corolla/ Avensis to it, and looks a bit dated compared to Toyota’s own Altis. It is an expensive vehicle outside India actually more expensive than the Altis. Our guess is that it will be priced around 14-16 lakh (On-road) and slot in neatly between the Altis/Innova on one side and the Fortuner on the other side. Expect it to be loaded with all the features of the Altis and then some more. And being a Toyota we have no doubt that people who go in for the top end Innovas and use it mainly for personal use will be easily convinced by Toyota’s sales reps to walk out with this one rather than the Innova.

Specifications
Engines: 2.5-litre D4-D Diesel & 2-litre VVTi Petrol
Dimensions (mm) 4690x1760x2852
Wheelbase (mm) 2825
Ground clearance (mm) 180
Kerb weight (kg) 1490 - 1540

How is it different from the Innova?
The Innova is a Rear Wheel Driven (RWD) car based on a pick-up truck platform while the Picnic is based on a Front Wheel Drive (FWD) sedan platform. It is also much shorter in height compared to the Innova, with a lower centre of gravity. Hence it inherits the Driving dynamics and refinement of a sedan and is known to be a much nicer car to drive. However it won’t be as comfortable as the Innova over rough roads. It is also longer in length than the Innova, which makes it a bit more practical. It can comfortably seat seven occupants and still has a decent amount of boot-space left behind the third row of seats. The reason why estate cars have failed in India is because of the lack of a third row of seats. So as per the norm the task of successfully introducing a new niche of vehicles might go to the Japanese yet again.

However a newer Verso is already out (pictured below) and it beats us why Toyota would get a dated looking car to India when they already have a new one in their arsenal.

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-88.jpg Toyota’s new MUV for India???-99.jpg
Name:  991.jpg
Views: 6546
Size:  18.2 KB Toyota’s new MUV for India???-992.jpg

SOURCE: Motoroids - The Free Revving Species
Old 14th October 2009, 16:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

Just the right info there.. Hope all the doubts are cleared now.. Karl guessed it right that it would be priced around 17 lacs.
Old 14th October 2009, 16:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

After the B pillar, it looks like a Toyota Matrix.
Old 14th October 2009, 16:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Just the right info there.. Hope all the doubts are cleared now.. Karl guessed it right that it would be priced around 17 lacs.
This is all very confusing. Don't we have the Fortuner there in almost that price bracket?

Sheesh. I was hoping Toyota rolls out a good MUV for 8.5 to 9.5L on the road. I knew I was dreaming.
Old 14th October 2009, 17:18   #68
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
News from Mottoroids:

SOURCE: Motoroids - The Free Revving Species
This is already being discussed with real snaps on another thread on the TBHP forum, but this still does not qualify as a station wagon / estate car, (thought it is quite close.)

this one is an MPV with FWD, and though it may be more practical and class than the Innova and maybe would slot in above it and below the fortuner, it still is more or less what we call a VAN.
Old 14th October 2009, 19:35   #69
Senior - BHPian

i like the design and looks of the older version being tested in India wayy better than what is pictured here as the current generation verso.
Old 14th October 2009, 19:38   #70
BHPian

These are the on road pictures of Toyota Picnic in Singapore.
This is in Singapore from long time. I think from 2005 at least.
By bringing this in India, Toyota is not upping the game. They are launching a pretty old model in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p1.jpg  

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p2.jpg  

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p3.jpg  

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p4.jpg  

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p5.jpg  

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p6.jpg  

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p7.jpg  

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p8.jpg  

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p9.jpg  

Toyota’s new MUV for India???-p10.jpg  

Old 15th October 2009, 17:26   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I beg to differ. I'm one such potential buyer who needs a good premium van with good ride and decent handling beyond Innova/Xylo.
Hey, some people even bought San Storms . My point is, our market is so diverse that every kind of product will find some buyer or the other. However, I doubt a market for premium vans exists in India yet. Period.

Toyota took all of 5 years to finally launch the Fortuner. They are known to be extremely conversative with their product portfolio in new markets. Lets see how long before they launch this premium van here, if at all.
Old 15th October 2009, 17:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
This is in Singapore from long time. I think from 2005 at least.
By bringing this in India, Toyota is not upping the game. They are launching a pretty old model in India.
Exactly! And the Innova is a lot tougher since its on the IMV platform. Suits India's tough conditions better too.
Old 15th October 2009, 19:31   #73
DRC
BHPian

I am not sure if Toyota is going to bring this model here. may be , or may be not.

But, what we think is rational might not be in line with what toyota thinks even what the market will accept and appreciate.

When they come with Qualis it was already outdated rest of the world, but qualis was a runaway success solely on its toyota brand name and reliability.
When they decided to replace it with innova, we thought, it is not in the same segment and toyota lost that market, but market showed the willingness to upgrade.
You never know, they might still come with this van, tweak the trim and position it to a segment we might not have discussed at all here. Still succeed or fail.

Station wagon segment was never addressed properly before. As discussed in the same thread, they were priced too close to the SUVs. But now prices of SUV have moved up, so are the sedan prices. If there is a station wagon close to the sedan price rather than the SUV price there is a chance. looking at the aged stature of Ipsum, sharing parts with Innova, it might just be possible to achieve this.
Old 15th October 2009, 19:34   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hey, some people even bought San Storms . My point is, our market is so diverse that every kind of product will find some buyer or the other. However, I doubt a market for premium vans exists in India yet. Period.

Toyota took all of 5 years to finally launch the Fortuner. They are known to be extremely conservative with their product portfolio in new markets. Lets see how long before they launch this premium van here, if at all.
I wonder when India will become an old market for Toyota, the rate at which they are going I think it will be never.

Toyota and Honda's strategy in India are going to bite then in the a*s in a few years time. By looting Indian by providing them with low spec cars at a high price will not do them any favours.
Their competitors are already catching up. Cars like the Linea, Cruze provide excellent value for money compared to the City.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:15   #75
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Some how unless the Innova is due for a gradual phase out (unlikely based on global trends) this new vehicle may just do the reverse of the City-Civic slotting, with the new vehicle comming a couple of lacs above the top innova and a couple below the top fortuner.

The problem is that the fortuner interiors are identical to the innova and this one if it does come in late may have the most updated interiors (causing confusion in the minds of the buyer) like the latest corolla altis.

When the Innova was launched it was projected as a 7 seater corolla and it took off well, not the corolla altis is distinguising it's own positioning through the interiors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks