Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 14:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Flood Tax in Karnataka - does this affect ex-showroom prices of vehicles ?

‘Flood tax’ on the cards

Flood tax is being mulled by the government. Most likely an increase in VAT and/or sales tax.

So, will this affect the ex-showroom price of vehicles? I believe that VAT is included in the ex-showroom price, and an increase in it will be passed on to the customers by manufacturers ?
Old 13th October 2009, 14:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Not just vehicles, but almost everything will become more expensive.

For sheer stupidity on part of the government, common man will have to suffer even more now.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:38   #3
BHPian

This country, rather state will never improve. Next they will tax the air you breath. God knows what. Its just a excuse for making more money for their pockets.

I am all for helping the flood victims, but this is not the way to go about. Tomorrow we have an earthquake and then they will have an earthquake tax. Wake Mr. CM.

MERA BHARATH MAHAN
Old 13th October 2009, 14:45   #4
Max
BHPian

its not stupidity, government is doing right thing. If government won't support these people where will they go? My only concerns is government should pass this tax amount to needy people in time.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

I actually wont mind paying to help earthquake victims. That is a true nature calamity and we still have a long way to go where we can be as quake resistant as Japan.

But these floods were caused by lack of administrative sense. If water had been allowed to flow downstream in a timely manner from the dams that are close to state borders, this would not have happened.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
its not stupidity, government is doing right thing. If government won't support these people where will they go? My only concerns is government should pass this tax amount to needy people in time.
We already pay tax for very product we buy and not only we,but also the manufactures too pay tax for what they are producing+ income tax,So government has enough money.These politicians will never fund these amount fully to victims instead they fund half the money to their pockets/ party and tax us more and more.This what happens in every state.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its a right move. How do you think Govt. to burden the extra money? But the problem is in what they tax.

if they tax the essential services like food, groceries, veges etc, it may even lead to the fall of govt. Taxing the high end cars, bikes, liquors, tobacco products etc does makes a lot of sense.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

the goverment has already cut a days salary of people in karnataka for this purpouse.
the center has sanctioned 1000 crores for relief to the karnataka government.
to add to that they have already collected donations from people over 1000 crores because of the floods.
i feel the karnataka government is taking its people for a ride.
already we pay through our nose for everything due to exorbitant taxes.
cars are much more expensive here than anywhere else in india. The fuel is more expensive than the rest of india. Till now what i feel the current government is doing is making more false promises.
i think some one has to do something regarding this issue ,its nothing but daylight robbery in the name of taxes.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:01   #9
BANNED

This tax couldn't have come if there was no recession. The money that the government earns through various other means has seen a huge decline over the past year. The floods are just an excuse to try and tide over the deficit.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

The tax will be on costly items only. Common man will not be affected. Looks like we are all worried. At least we think we are not common ! Thats cool.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:45   #11
BANNED

As it stands Karnataka (and Maharashtra) are the most expensive for motorists. Now another tax. Maybe they can ask some (or at least one) of the judges to contribute. I hope they do not kill the Golden Goose.

One day I am sure that this nonsense of registerign cars everytime you move will come to an end, then what will KA and MH do?
Old 13th October 2009, 15:50   #12
BHPian

The Govt is planning to increase the tax on petrol and diesel. So the petrol prices are bound to go up and this will obviously have a ripple effect. If this happens, i think the prices are going to increase two fold; One because of the flood tax imposed by the government and another because of the hike in fuel prices.

Its too early for the government to have a take on this. They have already collected huge sum of money through donations. This has to be streamlined properly and used for welfare of the affected people.

But i dont trust the present government. They are just looting everything. Politicians themself have crores of rupees. Till now I havent heard even a single politician coming forward and donating for the relief.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Why limiting it to floods alone? Introduce H1N1 tax, HIV tax, Rain tax, Air tax and so on...!

I remember paying Rs. 55 per litre for petrol in Blr almost an year back. Now I am paying here only 47, even with the recent hike in Petrol charges!! I think the value of Money is less in that part of India!
Old 13th October 2009, 16:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Why limiting it to floods alone? Introduce H1N1 tax, HIV tax, Rain tax, Air tax and so on...!

I remember paying Rs. 55 per litre for petrol in Blr almost an year back. Now I am paying here only 47, even with the recent hike in Petrol charges!! I think the value of Money is less in that part of India!
You bet. We must charge the CM for breathing, walking on our roads, everything he does must be taxed back to him.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I think the value of Money is less in that part of India!
You got it wrong dude. Everything is valued in terms of money here. The more money you have the more your value is. So the guys who wants to be "valued" take every opportunity to GRAB money from common people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks