Team-BHP - Tracking delivery of a car in real time
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Tracking delivery of a car in real time (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/67362-tracking-delivery-car-real-time.html)

Hi,

As usual i hope this is not a repeat post.

We have been reading many posts with the dealer trying to palm off a used demo car or keep pushing the delivery time of your car after taking the booking amount. Am sure that would be a perfect tracking mechanism from the time the car is dispatched from factory to the time it arrives at the yard. So if we could fill this post with the mechanism to track it for various brands i guess it will be very useful for prospective car buyers.

For example we should be able to get the chasis and VIN number of the car allocated to the buyer in due course after booking. We should figure a way to get this from the dealer (i guess we have to rely on the dealer for this) and then we can use it to track the real time status. Again while doing a PD check of the car, we can use the VIN / Chassis number to see when the car was dispatched from the factory and when it arrived at the dealer. This way we can easily find out if the dealer is trying to con us.

But in order to do this i would request all the knowledgeable members of this forum to add details - as to how to use the VIN / Chassis number to track the car delivery -for the various car brand that they know of. This should help us (to an extent) secure our investment (yes my car is an investment to me:D ) from all those shady dealers. So please, relevant / experienced members, share your details with the rest of us in the forum....

PS - This post is NOT restricted to any particular brand but intend to assimilate information for as many brands as possible

I think the model to be followed here is used by Courier companies quite efficiently. You just input the consignment number and you get the status. Problem here is, it shows status as follows only:

1. Ready for shipping
2. In Transit
3. Delivered

A way out is through RFID which can actually provide real time status, even if "In Transit" means the truck carrying the vehicle has halted for siesta.

If properly implemented, this technology will make car booking and delivery experience truly transparent.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...000-kms-5.html

Read post 66. This is as close as you can get to know your car. This is possible only if you are close to the manager and let you see his computer screen and make a note of the Serial#s and Truck# and ETA. If you arent that close to a sales mgr, all you are gonna hear is, 2 days saar, 3-4-5days saar and you will wait for ever. Build a good rapport at the time of booking itself... it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutsNBolts (Post 1530061)
I think the model to be followed here is used by Courier companies quite efficiently. You just input the consignment number and you get the status. Problem here is, it shows status as follows only:

1. Ready for shipping
2. In Transit
3. Delivered

A way out is through RFID which can actually provide real time status, even if "In Transit" means the truck carrying the vehicle has halted for siesta.

If properly implemented, this technology will make car booking and delivery experience truly transparent.

RFID is an excellent idea but we need the manufacturer to implement such stuff and i truly agree that it would be an highly transparent mechanisim

BUT the essence of this post is to assimilate existing methods to track the delivery status for the various brands so that prospective car buyers are befitted. What we want is to collect the existing neanderthal ways of tracking our car..

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 1530069)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...000-kms-5.html

Read post 66. This is as close as you can get to know your car.

Thanks for pointing out the piece of information santosh. That was quiet an useful information. But does that mean that there is simply no way to track the delivery of the car. There has to be some mechanism. In any event with your due permission am reattaching the information posted by you earlier.

Post by fellow bhpian svsantosh
1) The manufacturer rolls out the car and immediately invoices the dealer before it goes to his parking Yard. 1st Owner responsibility - Dealer
Note - The manufacturer never owns responsibility of a car that is invoiced on a dealer name.

2) Car lies in the yard (owner - dealer) then ships it onto a truck to his place anywhere in India - Insurance responsibility - still the dealer headache.

3) Car comes to dealers parking yard - still his problem. The minute the new Owner OK's the purchase - The sale invoice means that the new owner bears all the headache hence forth. Of course - this step happens ONLY after the dealer REALIZES the money (Loan/Cash/Cheque).

4) Next step is the sale invoice copy and chassis# and engine# goes to the insurance person and the cover note is generated.

5) Then with the invoice in triplicate (3 copies) and 1 insurance cover note copy, and the ONE sale certificate from the maker - the car enters the local RTO- to either get a 30days TR Temp Regn - OR - a permanent regn. TR costs as little as 1K for a CS TDI class, may be around 3-4K max-max for a BIG sedan/SUV.