Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:56   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Booboo, this might not help you at all - but I personally, and many females I have come across, find Jetta's looks very "Uncle-ish".

Don't know if that is a criteria for you ...
True. But then again I am buying a car to drive in. Not to be seen in. And I dont like flashy stuff. I like being discrete. I drive an Octavia and an Innova. Sensible cars. great cars. And who really needs a car to attract the opposite sex. IMO ones charm and personality is more than enough. Else I would have gone for the Cruze. Also, if you drive the Jetta, you will know there is no inherent "uncleness" once on the move.

P.S. You do have a point. But as you rightfully said, in this case it is irrelevant. No offence.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:37   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBooMan View Post
Also, if you drive the Jetta, you will know there is no inherent "uncleness" once on the move.
Wow, that is one hell of a compliment for Jetta. Never came across such a perspective.

I feel Jetta has a certain understated elegance to it.
Old 8th December 2010, 10:48   #63
BHPian

Re: Cruze LTZ vs Jetta Comfortline vs Laura Elegance

Hi guys,I am looking for a diesel sedan with a budget of 15 lakhs. I test drove all the three cars and found LAURA to be the best of the lot. But its the nightmarish skoda service that is confusing me. The ALTIS is best for those who will be chauffeur driven. Unfortunately I never use a chauffeur and drive the car all by myself.. Now this is really confusing.

Find below the price break up for the LAURA in my city (Coimbatore) and say if it is OK : Ex-Showroom - Rs.1374114 + Insurance - Rs.51306 + Life Tax - Rs.213617 and that sums up to Rs.1639037 On Road. Also the dealer says that the extended warranty is Rs.18675,which they are offering for free. The other deal that I am offered is free Insurance (All this if I could make the full payment by this month end).

Now here is the tricky part,I wanted a 2011 stock and the sales guy promises that he could deliver the same by 2nd or 3rd week of Jan-2011. Is it possible to get the new stocks that early. I want the year of manufacturing on the RC book to be 2011.

Advice me if the deal is good and Please help me to make a wise decision friends.

Note : Mods,please correct me and guide me if it is posted in the wrong topic

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th December 2010 at 18:27. Reason: Please do not post entire post in Bold.
Old 8th December 2010, 18:13   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
I wanted a 2011 stock and the sales guy promises that he could deliver the same by 2nd or 3rd week of Jan-2011. Is it possible to get the new stocks that early. I want the year of manufacturing on the RC book to be 2011.
last year when my brother booked his laura 2010 model it was delivered in last week of feb. I don't think you will get it any earlier. He had checked it with both jmd and other mumbai dealer dont remember its name both had the same date of delivery for 2010 model. If you have another dealer also do confirm with him.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:25   #65
vcx
BHPian

Considering thet Cruze is priced under 15L, while Laura and Jetta are pricey.

Could one think of pitting Vento Diesel( a segment low ) against Cruze( a segement high).

It my case where in OTR Hyd for Vento Highlines is 11.1L with std accessories( mud flaps, art leather, spoiler etc) 11.4 L OTR.

With that OTR ,a strech to Cruze is that worth the strech to 15L.

The point in the end which will run long say for 7-10yrs
Old 16th January 2011, 15:31   #66
R17
BHPian

I think the Cruze is a great car. Looks good, better VFM than the Europeans and moves smartly too. My biggest issue is the fact that there isnt a single variant in the Cruze that comes with 6 Airbags and ESP. Most variants of the European duo are fully decked with all the safety features, which is a very, very important criterion, at least for me, and by interactions, for quite a few C+ segment buyers.

Ive wondered this over and over again and it just beats me why Chevy refuses to at least offer the Indian consumer an option for higher safety levels. They could charge what it costs them but at least an option should be offered.

Moreover, the Cruze is perhaps the first car in the world to ace every single crash test around - its got the highest possible ratings in the IIHS, NHTSA, Euro NCAP, Aus NCAP, China NCAP and Korean NCAP. All of which is redundant for us since we Indians will not get a chance to buy a properly decked version.

Here's a suggestion to anyone on this foum from GM / connected to GM - How about launching an optional package, say a Safety Pack, charging the customer a lumpsum (say 70k-100k) for 8 additional airbags and ESP (Yes, the American Cruze comes with 10 airbags as standard fare). And to back it up, Chevy could launch a marketing blitz, highlighting the Cruze's excellent crash test performance. I genuinely feel it will translate to a positive NPV.

(Anyone out there listening ? )

Last edited by R17 : 16th January 2011 at 15:34. Reason: -
Old 17th January 2011, 17:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now here is the tricky part,I wanted a 2011 stock and the sales guy promises that he could deliver the same by 2nd or 3rd week of Jan-2011. Is it possible to get the new stocks that early. I want the year of manufacturing on the RC book to be 2011.
I am not sure you will get a car from the new stock so early. The dealer would get your car registered in Jan but that doesnt mean it was manufactured in 2011.

Vin number fourth digit decodes to the month of production and 10th digit is the model number(2010, 2011 which is not the year of manufacture).

I booked a Jetta sometime late in December. I am getting a car manufactured in October. Going by that I will be tempted to say by March.

There is also a detail thread in this forum about manufacture date.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-cars-91.html. Hope this helps.

Last edited by VW2010 : 17th January 2011 at 17:55. Reason: Added link
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:00   #68
BHPian

Jetta is the worst looking of the lot. Skoda looks good and performs well but I think is definitely overpriced. Cruze is the best bet as it looks good, performs well and costs the least of the three.
Old 8th January 2012, 17:39   #69
BHPian

2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

CURRENT RIDE: Remapped Swift-D (man, this thing moves fast after the remap), driven for 3.5 years and 45,000km.

QUESTION: So now, what's a good choice for a diesel midsize sedan for a performance junkie?

FUEL OF CHOICE: Diesel, because (a) I do at LEAST 1500-1800 km a month and the economics of diesel make much more sense than petrol, and (b) newer-generation torquey turbocharged diesels are great fun to drive.

OPTIONS:
  1. 2012 Cruze LT / LTZ MT
  2. 2012 Elantra CRDi
  3. New Laura 2.0 TDI

The following cars don't make my list:
  1. Vento / Rapid TDI: Fantastic engines, but bland styling inside and out. Also, at almost 11L OTR in Bombay, they're overpriced.
  2. Verna Fluidic Diesels: Both the 1.4 and the 1.6, because (a) the ride and steering felt almost neutered when I TD'd it.
  3. Altis 1.4 D4D: Underpowered, bland styling, nothing about the car makes my synapses fire in excitement.

I've listed some pros and cons, as I see them.

CRUZE:
PROS:
  1. Engine and performance are class-leading
  2. Decent driving dynamics
  3. Exterior Styling
  4. Interiors (I LOVE them, because they're so different from the bland uninspired interiors of the Altis
  5. Research I've done so far indicates no serious maintenance hassles
  6. Given all the features it comes with, it's the most bang for a buck sub 16L
CONS:
  1. GM after sales.
  2. Unknown depreciation / resale
  3. The rear seat, but my wife and I are DINKS, so the comfort of the rear-seat passengers isn't my biggest concern.

2012 Elantra
PROS:
  1. They look fantastic
  2. Engines should be good, but we don't know yet
  3. Being a Hyundai it'll be fairly hassle-free to maintain
  4. Hyundai's are usually fairly loaded with kit
CONS:
  1. Unknown, because they're not out yet, and I don't know when they will be.
  2. It looks good, but it won't have the performance of the Cruze, and also they styling doesn't do it for me as much as the Cruze's does.
Laura 2.0 TDI
PROS:
  1. Great ride and handling
  2. Good performance
  3. Fairly fuel efficient
  4. Skoda has more brand cache than GM and Hyuindai
CONS:
  1. Not as quick as the Cruze
  2. Pricier, but with lower kit than the Cruze
  3. Skoda after-sales nightmares. There are wayyy too many horror stories to ignore.

So which one? I'm leaning toward the Cruze, and I'm eagerly awaiting the new model (anyone know when it's out?) but I don't want to completely ignore the Elantra. The Laura is my third preference.

HELP!!
Old 8th January 2012, 17:59   #70
BHPian

Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Wait till Elantra comes and compare.
Laura's engineering is still superior to Cruze inspite of Chevy's more powerful engine and gizmos. But Cruze isn't wallet brusting with its service and hence doing better numbers consistently.

Elantra might beat both in terms of value and features. Yet Hyundai's suspension and rear seat has never been its strong points. Hope Elantra is a more complete car.

Wait for it. Just can't be avoided ;-)
Old 8th January 2012, 19:10   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Wait till Elantra comes and compare.
Laura's engineering is still superior to Cruze inspite of Chevy's more powerful engine and gizmos. But Cruze isn't wallet brusting with its service and hence doing better numbers consistently.
Elantra might beat both in terms of value and features. Yet Hyundai's suspension and rear seat has never been its strong points. Hope Elantra is a more complete car.
Wait for it. Just can't be avoided ;-)
The rear seat isn't important to me because I'm self-driven.
Any idea what the launch dates are for the new Cruze and Elantra?
Old 8th January 2012, 19:25   #72
BHPian

I say that you choose to Cruze!!

Even if the Elantra does look good and will most probably be loaded to the gills with features, it will not be very involving to drive.
Most Hyundais have a soft suspension setup and so will not be very stable at high speeds.

The Laura does a good job in the handling dept, but as you said, the Skoda after sales can be a cause of worry.

Wait till the face lifted Cruze comes out, you will like it.

Keep us updated!!
Old 8th January 2012, 20:42   #73
BHPian

If I had to choose from any of these three cars it would be no doubt but the Cruze. The reason is that Laura is out of contention because of the A.S.S horror stories.

Hyundai no doubt makes good looking cars nowadays but their cars are more like boats and its with them since ages, they have learned to copy the body designs and some other things but somehow the suspension designs they have still not being able to copy and correct at all. (No offence meant here to Hyundai fans) I am sure the Elantra will also have the same boat effect as other cars that they manufacture.

Hence Cruze it is and without doubt the cruze has the best power and kit available at that price range.
Old 8th January 2012, 21:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Cruze, cruze, cruze. No two ways about it.

Hyundai cannot make cars that handle well, period. On the other hand, though the laura is good, im a little iffy about skoda's after sales service.

That leaves me with only cruze, take a TD and decide, you wont be disappointed.
Old 8th January 2012, 21:08   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
  1. 2012 Cruze LT / LTZ MT
  2. 2012 Elantra CRDi
  3. New Laura 2.0 TDI
Are you looking for MT only options? The Laura TDI in its MT avatar is of 110bhp, whereas the DSG AT comes with the 140 bhp tune.

Any reason for not adding the new Jetta into the list?
If you have the budget, the 140bhp Jetta Comfortline MT would be an excellent option IMO.

Alternate options to look at:
1) Skoda Yeti
2) Renault Fluence diesel top end.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed