Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 21:37   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
[*]Being a Hyundai it'll be fairly hassle-free to maintain
DUDE!! I dont think thats the scene anymore. Atleast the forum doesnt say so. The A.S.S of Hyundai has become worst over the last couple of years. So BEWARE.
My choice would be CRUZE eyes closed. Drove it last month and I was blown away. 150BHP under your feet. One word crazy!!!!

P.S: What will you do with the Swift. Mind you at 45K its still a virgin.

Last edited by Pancham : 8th January 2012 at 21:39.
Old 9th January 2012, 14:23   #77
BHPian

If ride, handling and built quality are very important, then it has to be Laura but only with DSG (reason being 140bhp). Otherwise, it has to be Cruze. Hyundai, i dont expect to be dynamically brilliant as lauras (important for self driven class).
Old 9th January 2012, 14:43   #78
BANNED

I don't know if you have considered the Optra Magnum.

You might wanna give it a shot and consider it.

If not the Magnum, then I would suggest the Cruze LT over the LTZ.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 9th January 2012, 14:48   #79
BHPian

My heart beats for the Czech (Laura DSG) or the German (Jetta). Sigh! Only if I could assure you about the stupendous A.S.S. which is still a dream. No idea why!

Interior build quality apart, the CRUZE!
Old 9th January 2012, 15:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Though Laura is a great machine to own (self experiance), I would suggest you to go the Cruze way. Reason? The current gen Laura is due for a face lift, sometime soon. Why buy a car that would be outdated in an year or so?

The Cruze sure is a monster performer too. Since back seat comfort aint high on priority, this one would make an awesome buy.

Elantra 2012 seems to be promising, but its just launched. A TD would probably throw some more light on that.

P.S: What happens to the modded Swift ? .
Old 9th January 2012, 15:44   #81
BHPian

If your going for the manual tranny then the new jetta is the clear winner! If your going for the automatic then go for the laura ambition dsg!
I personally cant get past the cruze interiors. Very desperate to please and cheap looking.The royal and posh feeling i got in the laura was just missing in the cruze.
But then again, i know many who bought the cruze just for its interiors and equipment list!
Old 9th January 2012, 16:01   #82
BHPian

Thanks everyone for some great responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
DUDE!! I dont think thats the scene anymore. Atleast the forum doesnt say so. The A.S.S of Hyundai has become worst over the last couple of years. So BEWARE.
My choice would be CRUZE eyes closed. Drove it last month and I was blown away. 150BHP under your feet. One word crazy!!!!

P.S: What will you do with the Swift. Mind you at 45K its still a virgin.
I wasn't aware about A.S.S horror stories with Hyundai at all. Not sure about what to do with the Swift. She's almost mint at 45,000... you should see how well that car's been maintained. With the ECU piggyback she's unbelievably quick and the best part is that the FE's still great at 18.33 kpl on the last tank!!! I'm not going to sell it to the dealer because I'll never get the proper value of the car...so family and friends will get first right of refusal. If no one's looking, then there's always the TBHP classifieds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Are you looking for MT only options? The Laura TDI in its MT avatar is of 110bhp, whereas the DSG AT comes with the 140 bhp tune.
Any reason for not adding the new Jetta into the list?
If you have the budget, the 140bhp Jetta Comfortline MT would be an excellent option IMO.
Alternate options to look at:
1) Skoda Yeti
2) Renault Fluence diesel top end.
MT options only. The new Jetta is too expensive for something that shouldn't be quoting at a premium, in my opinion. Yes, the Yeti's nice but (a) too boxy (b) not really a performance enthusiast's cup of tea, (C) Skoda after-sales and (D) I dont need an SUV, even a mini one.
Regarding the Fluence: (a) no indications that the Fluence is a great car to drive (b) Renault is too new in India for me to consider them (c) and nothing about it thrills me (d) unknown long term ownership costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Cruze, cruze, cruze. No two ways about it.
Hyundai cannot make cars that handle well, period. On the other hand, though the laura is good, im a little iffy about skoda's after sales service.
That leaves me with only cruze, take a TD and decide, you wont be disappointed.
I agree. I've driven it and I love it. Yes there is a bit of a turbo lag but it's nowhere near as significant as some posters have made it out to be here on the forum. Also, I didnt find the clutch return-action too violent either.
I'm with you about Hyundai's neutered handling and I don't want the Skoda because I'll always have the after-sales sword hanging over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
If I had to choose from any of these three cars it would be no doubt but the Cruze. The reason is that Laura is out of contention because of the A.S.S horror stories.
Hyundai no doubt makes good looking cars nowadays but their cars are more like boats and its with them since ages, they have learned to copy the body designs and some other things but somehow the suspension designs they have still not being able to copy and correct at all. (No offence meant here to Hyundai fans) I am sure the Elantra will also have the same boat effect as other cars that they manufacture.
Hence Cruze it is and without doubt the cruze has the best power and kit available at that price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I say that you choose to Cruze!!
Even if the Elantra does look good and will most probably be loaded to the gills with features, it will not be very involving to drive.
Most Hyundais have a soft suspension setup and so will not be very stable at high speeds.
The Laura does a good job in the handling dept, but as you said, the Skoda after sales can be a cause of worry.
Wait till the face lifted Cruze comes out, you will like it.
Keep us updated!!
You, Kailashnj and Bala80 all have the identical assessment about all three cars!!
Old 9th January 2012, 16:11   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
If your going for the manual tranny then the new jetta is the clear winner! If your going for the automatic then go for the laura ambition dsg! I personally cant get past the cruze interiors. Very desperate to please and cheap looking.The royal and posh feeling i got in the laura was just missing in the cruze. But then again, i know many who bought the cruze just for its interiors and equipment list!
I actually think the Cruz interiors are fantastic. I agree the Laura and the Jetta have a more upmarket feel to them but I like the way the Cruze insides have been styled. The way they dash is sculpted around you makes you feel like you're part of the car instead of just sitting inside it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Though Laura is a great machine to own (self experiance), I would suggest you to go the Cruze way. Reason? The current gen Laura is due for a face lift, sometime soon. Why buy a car that would be outdated in an year or so?
The Cruze sure is a monster performer too. Since back seat comfort aint high on priority, this one would make an awesome buy.
Elantra 2012 seems to be promising, but its just launched. A TD would probably throw some more light on that.
P.S: What happens to the modded Swift ? .
Not sure yet. I'm trying to convince my wife to keep the Swift and let me sell her Type-3 City (NHC) instead of the Swift. That way, I'd have the best of both worlds, but it's an uphill battle trying to argue with her. So, if she insists on retaining that hateful Honda, I guess TBHP classifieds would be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
My heart beats for the Czech (Laura DSG) or the German (Jetta). Sigh! Only if I could assure you about the stupendous A.S.S. which is still a dream. No idea why!
Interior build quality apart, the CRUZE!
I agree. If their A.S.S. wasn't so iffy the Laura would be a much stronger contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I don't know if you have considered the Optra Magnum.
You might wanna give it a shot and consider it. If not the Magnum, then I would suggest the Cruze LT over the LTZ.
Happy Motoring !!
I have, but it's a little old now. Still great to drive though.
Can I ask why you'd recommend the LT over the LTZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
If ride, handling and built quality are very important, then it has to be Laura but only with DSG (reason being 140bhp). Otherwise, it has to be Cruze. Hyundai, i dont expect to be dynamically brilliant as lauras (important for self driven class).
The DSG Laura's out of budget, to be honest. The most important ride and handling aspect I look for in a diesel car is how the front end behaves in the corners. Sometimes diesels (petrols too) have a very heavy / understeery feel to them which sucks all the fun out of the drive. The Cruze doesn't have that.
But yes, I'd agree that at high speeds the Laura would probably be a bit more planted.

Last edited by ghostrider : 9th January 2012 at 16:13.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:44   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Say, wasnt the old elantra a proclaimed driver's car?
Might be worth the wait in that regard, and hope hyundai carry the legacy over.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:45   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider
I have, but it's a little old now. Still great to drive though.
Can I ask why you'd recommend the LT over the LTZ?
With an ex-showroom price difference of 2.5L , the OTR difference would be close to 3L+ (Reg, Insurance and stuff included).

What you get for 3L + is -

1) Sunroof
2) Leather upholstery.
3) Fog Lamps.

Do you think this kinda money is justified for the above stated items?

I don't think so, the LT makes a VFM proposition to me.
Old 9th January 2012, 18:09   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
With an ex-showroom price difference of 2.5L , the OTR difference would be close to 3L+ (Reg, Insurance and stuff included).

What you get for 3L + is -

1) Sunroof
2) Leather upholstery.
3) Fog Lamps.

Do you think this kinda money is justified for the above stated items?

I don't think so, the LT makes a VFM proposition to me.
I was thinking along the same lines. The only other difference is the chrome surrounds around the dials which look nice in the LTZ, but they're not in the LT. But yeah... I get what youre saying.

Once I know for sure Im getting the Cruze then I'll decide pick which MT variant I know.
Old 9th January 2012, 18:47   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
MT options only. The new Jetta is too expensive for something that shouldn't be quoting at a premium, in my opinion. Yes, the Yeti's nice but (a) too boxy (b) not really a performance enthusiast's cup of tea, (C) Skoda after-sales and (D) I dont need an SUV, even a mini one.
Regarding the Fluence: (a) no indications that the Fluence is a great car to drive (b) Renault is too new in India for me to consider them (c) and nothing about it thrills me (d) unknown long term ownership costs.
Well, I guess you are quite decided on the Cruze, which indeed is a nice car. All the best!
Old 9th January 2012, 18:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

Well, I would recommend you to wait for the Elantra. Anyways, GM will be releasing the facelifted (and engine lifted?) Cruze in around April - May (speculated), so you have time to play the waiting game. I am really sure that Elantra will be more loaded than the Cruze, but it will be beaten in sheer performance.

But I personally feel that, after comparing and test driving both, you will go with the Cruze
Old 9th January 2012, 18:54   #89
Senior - BHPian

@ghostrider : Cruze is indeed a great car. You might want to check on when the facelifted model is coming though - it should be anytime soon. Apparently that's going to be 163bhp and even more torque.
Old 9th January 2012, 19:04   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

For a self-driven, MT option the Cruze chews the Laura for breakfast. 40 more horses, infinitely more gizmoed interiors and the all-black instead of the dull beige of the Laura means you will have a true rocket on your hands. While GM is not exactly the benchmark for service, anything will surely be better than Skoda's a.s.s woes!

Didn't get why the Elantra is even *in* this list given that it isn't launched yet!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks