Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 19:11   #91
BHPian

Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

I own an Elantra CRDi, and looing for a change. My options are Cruz, Accord, Endeaver.
Elantra is too good in handling, stability, braks. she has spacious rear seat.
waiting for new Elantra. Cruz have great looks no doubt.
Old 9th January 2012, 20:53   #92
BHPian

Laura's feels very well built and gives the feel that it would last longer too. Skoda A.S.S. seems to be improving but is still not the same level as GM, which is not brilliant in the first place.
The sad part about Laura is that it feels aged when compared to Cruze, especially the green lighting on the panels is ancient.

Cruze is definitely more fun to drive and has as good a presence on road as Laura does and on some colours even better.
But the quality of the material used does not match the price you would play for the car though features in the LTZ model are brilliant, even the LT model is very heavily loaded.
Despite all this GM's resale value is very bad as of now, so if you want to sell it in the future you will not get the money you should.

The facelift for Cruze is around the corner, saw a few pics in the Chevrolet@Auto Expo thread and hope that is the one that is launched. Besides the Projector Lamps I do not see what else they could add to the already existing features (Maybe there is a quality improvement). I wouldn't buy a Cruze right now as I know when the new one is launched I would have buyer's remourse.

Even then, if one had to buy a car now, it should be Cruze.
Old 10th January 2012, 05:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Cruze is a great car except its ground clearance, and rear seat space, did you tried taking the TD cruze on some of the speed breakers they you normally pass every day, this would help in terms of understanding the car much better.

Other then that its a great product, looks cool and possibly the best among diesels. One of my colleague does frequent drives in his Cruze to his hometown in Orissa and he is quiet happy with the ~20k kms that he has driven so far.
Old 10th January 2012, 07:08   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Wait 2 months in case the upgraded one comes out. Else, buy the LT
2. Spend 20k on better tyres (after buyback). Consider upsizing to 17" if you have the moolah. Should make a world of difference.
3. If you're an ICE freak, consider the Caska/Megaudio/Moteva IHU (unless the 2012 model one comes with it)
4. Buy the Philips DRLs - personal choice but the genuine thing looks much better than the DX stuff
5. Keep aside some money for a Petes/Spides/Racetronics box for later :-)
5. Fit a Stebel Nautilus horn - has a weedy horn

ENJOY!!!

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th January 2012 at 07:11. Reason: Typo
Old 10th January 2012, 10:27   #95
BHPian

My vote goes to latest Cruze(163bhp/350nm) which is the best choice among the 3.
Later if you need more power Re-map as you did for swift.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:49   #96
BHPian

I would personally recommend you to go with the Laura. Reasons:

- Superior Build quality
- Spacious interiors than the cruze
- Premium Badge, Comfortable etc

Cruze has a really low resale value. There were many offers on the laura like free 2 years extended warranty, free first year insurance , 2 years road side assistance and many more.

Even I'm unsure about the release date of the completely new laura, it is most probably 2013 and would be based on vision D concept I think. New laura would be launched in India by 2014.
Old 10th January 2012, 14:45   #97
BHPian

OPTIONS:
  1. 2012 Cruze LT / LTZ MT
  2. 2012 Elantra CRDi
  3. New Laura 2.0 TDI
Hey, Ghostrider the new Elantra Avante is due in the month of Aug2012
Old 10th January 2012, 17:35   #98
BHPian

Well, the Laura will probably be facelifted in 2013. So, I think its out of the picture. As per the other two cars are concerned, I think you should wait for both the launches and then decide. Even if the Cruze gets launched before, do not take the plunge. The Elantra looks like a promising option.

Since hyundai has revealed no plans of launching the Elantra in India at the auto-expo, it might take some time. But, let's hope it comes here soon!
Old 10th January 2012, 18:02   #99
Senior - BHPian

@Y@SH, Laura is no doubt an amazing package but we never felt comfortable with Skoda. Few reasons that come to my mind
  1. A.S.S Horror stories, although i would agree they are doing a much better job now
  2. Low network across India as compared to Toyota/Honda/Chevvy
  3. Last but the most important one, every once in a awhile we come across threads wherein some owner has attempted to upgrade something like fog lamps and got a atrocious cost details from the dealer. Over a 5-8 year ownership i would like to change a few things like ICE, and if changing them would most probably cost me a bomb then i would rather stay away.
Old 10th January 2012, 18:15   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The rear seat isn't important to me because I'm self-driven.
Any idea what the launch dates are for the new Cruze and Elantra?
I am not a great fan of Hyundai but thought this might interest/ help to you:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...120109872/1284

P.S.: Get latest update on A.S.S levels of Hyundai. Mine were not so pleasant ones.
Old 11th January 2012, 09:00   #101
BHPian

Source: IAB

If you are planning to wait for the cruze face-lift dont. In an interview with the Mr. Vikas Jain he said
Quote:
Last year in February we came out with black interiors for Cruze. Change is a continuous process. Its (Cruze facelift) in the pipeline but when and how it is still to be decided. It is not in the immediate future.

But I still feel go for the laura diesel rather than the cruze because of the quality and resale factor. You should visit your nearest dealer and ask for discounts offered on Laura so you get an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
@Y@SH, Laura is no doubt an amazing package but we never felt comfortable with Skoda. Few reasons that come to my mind
I have read all the reviews on Team BHP of the laura as even I am on a lookout for a D-seg car. Skodas A.S.S has indeed improved and many of Team BHPians are happy with their purchase. Honestly i am not aware on the network factor but they do have dealers in major cities. Regarding the fog lamp things if you have read the ownership reviews that thing has been sorted out and now cars come with fogs. And for people who didnt get them, the dealer is providing it. ICE of the laura is better than you can expect but you can change the HU to a Bolero system like one of our Team BHPians have, changing speakers shouldnt be a problem

Last edited by Y@SH : 11th January 2012 at 09:08.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:03   #102
BHPian

I think you should wait till Hyundai Launched the new Elentra. From the looks, it looks very stylis and the goodies that have been provided with the vehicle are awesome.

However one would only be able to actually judge it after driving. In case if it doesn't work out well then CRUZE is the best.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:55   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
1. Wait 2 months in case the upgraded one comes out. Else, buy the LT
2. Spend 20k on better tyres (after buyback). Consider upsizing to 17" if you have the moolah. Should make a world of difference.
3. If you're an ICE freak, consider the Caska/Megaudio/Moteva IHU (unless the 2012 model one comes with it)
4. Buy the Philips DRLs - personal choice but the genuine thing looks much better than the DX stuff
5. Keep aside some money for a Petes/Spides/Racetronics box for later :-)
5. Fit a Stebel Nautilus horn - has a weedy horn
ENJOY!!!

You're a mind-reader. Tyre and rim upgrade would happen almost immediately if I did go with the Cruze. Ditto with the ICE... touchscreen with better speakers. The piggyback ECU would probably happen in about 6 months or so. I can't even begin to describe what a difference the existing tuning box has made to my Swift-D... the power band is much much wider now, you get higher speeds at lower revs (which is kinder to the engine), I've got switchable maps to choose from via a remote while I'm driving, and the increased power is exhilarating. The best thing though is that my last two tanks returned averages of 18.33 and 17.5 kpl respectively.

I can't even begin to imagine what a tuning box would do to a Cruze or a Laura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
My vote goes to latest Cruze(163bhp/350nm) which is the best choice among the 3.
Later if you need more power Re-map as you did for swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Source: IAB

If you are planning to wait for the cruze face-lift dont. In an interview with the Mr. Vikas Jain he said
"Last year in February we came out with black interiors for Cruze. Change is a continuous process. Its (Cruze facelift) in the pipeline but when and how it is still to be decided. It is not in the immediate future"
But I still feel go for the laura diesel rather than the cruze because of the quality and resale factor. You should visit your nearest dealer and ask for discounts offered on Laura so you get an idea.
A lot of sources say that the expected release would be April-May, which suits me fine. Bookings would probably open 4-6 weeks prior, and that plays into my hands quite nicely.
Don't get me wrong - I like the Laura, but without getting into specifics like fog-lights, Skoda parts are much more expensive than they should be. Also, they may have cleaned up their A.S.S a little bit, but it's still extremely sub-par. I know this because of friends who've bought Lauras and Fabias and continue to periodically have poor experiences with their respective service workshops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawalsingal View Post
I am not a great fan of Hyundai but thought this might interest/ help to you:
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...120109872/1284
P.S.: Get latest update on A.S.S levels of Hyundai. Mine were not so pleasant ones.
Yes, I saw this too.
Could you elaborate on what woes you've with Hyundai A.S.S and with which dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
I would personally recommend you to go with the Laura. Reasons:

- Superior Build quality
- Spacious interiors than the cruze
- Premium Badge, Comfortable etc
Cruze has a really low resale value. There were many offers on the laura like free 2 years extended warranty, free first year insurance , 2 years road side assistance and many more.
Even I'm unsure about the release date of the completely new laura, it is most probably 2013 and would be based on vision D concept I think. New laura would be launched in India by 2014.
On the contrary, I've heard that the Cruze has very high resale value. Your point about the resale values on the Laura is interesting though. Definitely worth checking out what's what with various dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Cruze is a great car except its ground clearance, and rear seat space, did you tried taking the TD cruze on some of the speed breakers they you normally pass every day, this would help in terms of understanding the car much better.
The rear-seat isn't a big deal for me. We have no kids (and none planned in the near future) and frankly to me the engine and performance is the single most important consideration in a car. The GC seems a little low, yes, but it's something I can live with. I've driven a friends cruze over some large Bombay speedbreakers and the car didn't bottom out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Well, I would recommend you to wait for the Elantra. Anyways, GM will be releasing the facelifted (and engine lifted?) Cruze in around April - May (speculated), so you have time to play the waiting game. I am really sure that Elantra will be more loaded than the Cruze, but it will be beaten in sheer performance.
But I personally feel that, after comparing and test driving both, you will go with the Cruze

You're probably right about picking the Cruze, but the Elantra willl probably be released in August.
Also, Vikas Jain of GM said that the Cruze 2.0L engine would continue, but there's no word on whether the existing engine would be tuned for some additional horses and torque.

Last edited by ghostrider : 11th January 2012 at 11:59.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:15   #104
BHPian

If i were you i would really go and test drive Jetta Before considering Cruze as past three digits the car doesn't feel very assuring, do a good long and imp. fast test drive then surely you will know if it suits your requirements
Old 11th January 2012, 13:54   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
If i were you i would really go and test drive Jetta Before considering Cruze as past three digits the car doesn't feel very assuring, do a good long and imp. fast test drive then surely you will know if it suits your requirements
I've driven the Cruze a few times (triple digit speeds) and I've never gotten that sensation, but I'd obviously do it again when it comes to crunch time.
The Jetta unfortunately is out of budget. The Comfortline is 15.7 ex-show room Delhi which will translate to about 18 on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
With an ex-showroom price difference of 2.5L , the OTR difference would be close to 3L+ (Reg, Insurance and stuff included).

What you get for 3L + is -
1) Sunroof
2) Leather upholstery.
3) Fog Lamps.
Do you think this kinda money is justified for the above stated items?
I don't think so, the LT makes a VFM proposition to me.
Did a little checking on Carwale and found that the difference (ex-showroom Del) is actually 1.5L, not 2.5 (12.2 vs 13.7), which will be about 1.8 on the road. Also, the feature difference between the LT and the LTZ is as follows:
  1. Leather seats and steering wheel
  2. Front Fog Lights
  3. Size of screen for audio info display
  4. Cruise control
  5. Eyeglasses holder
  6. Door handles (body color with chrome)
  7. Moisture-sensitive wiper system (Rain Sensor)
  8. Floor console (2 cupholders) with sliding armrest
  9. Rear park Assist
  10. PEPS (Passive entry passive start)
  11. Power windows with express down for rear driver side window
  12. Six speaker premium setup
  13. 4-way adjustable front seats instead of 2-way.
  14. Sun-roof/moon-roof.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks