Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 18:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driving License for a person born deaf

Just thought I should share this with you guys.

The other day on CNN I saw a citizen journalist bring up an issue of him not being able to get a valid driving license in India.
The RTO rejected his application and had marked the same as unfit to drive.

The person is adamant to get a DL and I am sure from the way things were projected in the show, he will get one soon. I am not against the person as I think he should definitely enjoy his rights.

However how safe are the other road users?
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 18:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hmm can anyone shed light on what the law says regarding how to classify someone as fit/unfit to drive? Only after that can we conclude whether or not he can get a DL.
Old 14th October 2009, 18:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

When the ICE is turned on at a reasonable volume, most of us are as good as deaf to the outside world. I don't see why this person should be denied a DL on safety grounds. If deafness is a safety issue, ICE is a safety issue as well.
Old 14th October 2009, 20:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just ask him to try another RTO.

They are supposed to check your vision not hearing. Only thing he needs to constantly check the RVMs as he cannot hear the honks.
Old 14th October 2009, 22:05   #5
BHPian

Boss! Driving is a previlige, not a right.
Old 14th October 2009, 22:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

If he is given a driver's licence, then won't it put all the other vehicles at a huge risk as he won't be able to hear any horns.
Old 15th October 2009, 01:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well trust me guys, the horn thing is stupid. If you check your RVM regularly should be good enough. A person in our place has this problem but is one of the coolest and calmest driver i have seen. Never would you be stuck behind him and never does he over speed.

@subscrive: Buddy already there are so many things in our country which is a privilege so please dont add license to that list.
Old 15th October 2009, 01:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Atleast the guy is trying to get a license. What if he simply gets behind the wheels and starts driving around.
Old 15th October 2009, 05:39   #9
BHPian

Good grief, does this mean that the RTO thinks that the horn is an absolute necessity to drive? I dont recall any such prejudices against color blind people - which IMHO are more of a 'threat' in driving conditions. Completely babu-type decision. This gent deserves his license if he can show he knows how to drive.
Old 15th October 2009, 07:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Good grief, does this mean that the RTO thinks that the horn is an absolute necessity to drive? I dont recall any such prejudices against color blind people - which IMHO are more of a 'threat' in driving conditions. Completely babu-type decision. This gent deserves his license if he can show he knows how to drive.
I'm sure other factors like the ability to hear ambulances, and other emergency vehicles can also be factors rather than horns alone.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:32   #11
BHPian

Surely in our country, disabled persons are better drivers. Never would they put other people at risk like our really bad 'healthy' drivers can.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Hmm can anyone shed light on what the law says regarding how to classify someone as fit/unfit to drive? Only after that can we conclude whether or not he can get a DL.
I think license are not granted to people born deaf. Differently abled people get a license provided they make the necessary mods to their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
When the ICE is turned on at a reasonable volume, most of us are as good as deaf to the outside world. I don't see why this person should be denied a DL on safety grounds. If deafness is a safety issue, ICE is a safety issue as well.
This was the exact point the citizen journalist was making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Just ask him to try another RTO.

They are supposed to check your vision not hearing. Only thing he needs to constantly check the RVMs as he cannot hear the honks.
Isn't it mandatory that all our senses need to be intact to drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Boss! Driving is a previlige, not a right.
Maddy42 has reciprocated to your thoughts. I am of the same opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
If he is given a driver's licence, then won't it put all the other vehicles at a huge risk as he won't be able to hear any horns.
Of course he will. At least I think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well trust me guys, the horn thing is stupid. If you check your RVM regularly should be good enough. A person in our place has this problem but is one of the coolest and calmest driver i have seen. Never would you be stuck behind him and never does he over speed.
Thats very nice to know. So he has a valid DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Atleast the guy is trying to get a license. What if he simply gets behind the wheels and starts driving around.
Scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
They say in India, you need to have good brakes and good luck. Horn is an added privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
I'm sure other factors like the ability to hear ambulances, and other emergency vehicles can also be factors rather than horns alone.
Well thought. However as others mention here, he would be able to see the lights.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:50   #13
BHPian

Being deaf does not mean he should be deprived of a DL. I am completely against this prejudice. Like the way a diffrently challenged person has to make necessary adjustments to his vehicle in the same way , simple signage on a deaf persons vehicle like "Person driving this car is hearing impaired" can warn other cars his disability and they can be wary of him.

For example I have seen phone booths clearly stating that "This booth is run by a Visually handicap person. Please co-operate" . Same can be taken in this context too !

--Vikrant
Old 15th October 2009, 09:52   #14
BANNED

There is a colleague of wife (PSU bank). He got job on basis of his handicap - DEAF. (and he cannot speak too).

Had a two wheeler license, owns and drives one.
Old 15th October 2009, 10:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think the point about the ambulance sirens is the really valid one. Normally, one hears the siren long before seeing the ambulance in the RVM. It is unfortunate for him but the RTO does have a very good point here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks