Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 14:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
The Accord needs a 2.5ltr engine with 170bhp@4000 and 400nm@2000 to really make it a performance diesel.

With the present engine specs, even the Cruze will outperform it. They should have this 2.2 ltr engine in the Civic.

Shan2nu
Phew ! That would surely make the CIVIC fly for sure.

And 1.4 Diesel(Yaris sourced) for an Altis would be efficient and decently powerful. But WHY NOT MATE THE FORTUNERS 3-Litre D-4D on the present ALTIS. It would give thunderous performance for sure, What say guys ? (Not sure wether that large a engine would fit into an Altis)
Old 20th October 2009, 16:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
But WHY NOT MATE THE FORTUNERS 3-Litre D-4D on the present ALTIS. It would give thunderous performance for sure, What say guys ? (Not sure wether that large a engine would fit into an Altis)
That could be an overkill... but wonder why didnt TKMIL plonk the Innova 2.5D into the Corolla?
Old 20th October 2009, 17:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Now why would anyone with half a brain would like to pay 25+ lac for an accord with same specs as Cruze which is priced half!
Not me atleast and maybe only the die hard honda fan.

Also i felt in my td of cruze yesterday that its a better handler then the current accord.
Old 20th October 2009, 21:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Now why would anyone with half a brain would like to pay 25+ lac for an accord with same specs as Cruze which is priced half!
Not me atleast and maybe only the die hard honda fan.

Also i felt in my td of cruze yesterday that its a better handler then the current accord.
Correct. Honda may have just arrived a bit too late in this party. Today, with many excellent options, Accord will find going tough if priced anywhere in the region of 25L.

The benchmark has already been set by Superb 2.0 PD in this segment and above!
Old 21st October 2009, 09:56   #20
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Correct pricing would be a max permium of 2L over the current petrol.

Will they do that - NO if we look at their recent history.

So will it sell - Not much, the Honda has great brand value in India, but with this kind of power? 148 bhp, they can would only devalue the brand.

Actually this a bit too late, and a bit too little.

Somehow we can expect this to be at about 25L on road with power less than a 10L cheaper higher featured Cruz (so what are we buying honda brand and more rear leg room?) Naaa.
Old 21st October 2009, 19:32   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Relax guys, lets wait for the actual specs (if and when the car is launched) before making sweeping statements on its power output.
Old 21st October 2009, 21:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

I highly doubt that Honda will be launching the Accord with the diesel engine anytime soon as it is already
outselling all of its competitors.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
I highly doubt that Honda will be launching the Accord with the diesel engine anytime soon as it is already
No its not. The Superb has been beating the Accord for quite some time now.
Old 22nd October 2009, 00:45   #24
BHPian

True, Superb has raised the bar quite dramatically. Not just it has taken care of latest generation Accord, it has smoked other cars in it's segment including Toyota's all new Camry. As good as it is, Teana was never on. In fact, Superb has taken everyone by surprise. I wonder what Hyundai has in store for us people in the form of it's luxury car, GENESIS!
Old 22nd October 2009, 02:20   #25
BHPian

OT: If only SKODA didnot carry the risks it does now (car going bad without warning) and had better dealers.

Any details on the launch ?
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:26   #26
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
But WHY NOT MATE THE FORTUNERS 3-Litre D-4D on the present ALTIS. It would give thunderous performance for sure, What say guys ? (Not sure wether that large a engine would fit into an Altis)
May not fit the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
That could be an overkill... but wonder why didnt TKMIL plonk the Innova 2.5D into the Corolla?
May not fit the engine bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Nope Superb sold more than the Accord in the previous two months to the last one when they just about sold the same.
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
True, Superb has raised the bar quite dramatically. Not just it has taken care of latest generation Accord, it has smoked other cars in it's segment including Toyota's all new Camry. As good as it is, Teana was never on. In fact, Superb has taken everyone by surprise. I wonder what Hyundai has in store for us people in the form of it's luxury car, GENESIS!
I dont think the Genesis is coming to India anytime soon. I'm more interested in when the new version of the Sonata is launching here...

To see what the car looks like, just google "Hyundai Sonata 2010"
Old 31st March 2011, 11:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel Power for Honda Accord

David Hodgetts, Managing Director of Honda UK spilled the beans on the compact diesel engine to a British publication Fleet News. The new Civic will hit the shores of Britain in January 2012 and within a year into its life, a new compact diesel engine option will be made available.It is likely that this small diesel will be transplanted into the next gen Jazz which will bow in late 2013. However the currently running Jazz will not benefit from this development. Honda is developing a broad range of engines for Accord, Civic and Jazz, the report adds.
For overseas markets, Honda is mulling the 150bhp i-DTEC engine right from day one, but this engine might take the Civic’ price beyond acceptable levels in India.
Source – Am-Online.com
Old 31st March 2011, 11:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
David Hodgetts, Managing Director of Honda UK spilled the beans on the compact diesel engine to a British publication Fleet News. The new Civic will hit the shores of Britain in January 2012 and within a year into its life, a new compact diesel engine option will be made available.It is likely that this small diesel will be transplanted into the next gen Jazz which will bow in late 2013. However the currently running Jazz will not benefit from this development. Honda is developing a broad range of engines for Accord, Civic and Jazz, the report adds.
For overseas markets, Honda is mulling the 150bhp i-DTEC engine right from day one, but this engine might take the Civic’ price beyond acceptable levels in India.
Source – Am-Online.com
As much as I like the Honda CIVIC, I just can't gobble Honda 'trash talk'. European manufacturers, who are know for their higher developmental costs (especially VW), are trying their level best to come up with cost effective cars as well. If the new Jetta can be launched at same price bad as the outgoing model, why can't a Honda diesel do the same. I am completely gutted after reading this.

I personally believe that Honda has been ducking the competition for a while now. Its time company gives:

1. Direct injection turbo petrol engines.
2.. Smaller diesels at competitive prices.
3. Get back to futuristic designs and leave the predictable and boring stuff to Toyota.

When they get this done over the next 2-3 years, they should diversify its portfolio, but that's a ,long term plan. Also, leave 'obsession' with Hybrid tech. Its not as 'big' as the Japs think it is. Anyway, Toyota is been better than Honda over the years at it.

Time for Honda to get real and make me proud by getting back the desire to 'proud to own a Honda' felling back.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 31st March 2011 at 11:41.
Old 31st March 2011, 14:31   #30
BHPian

Honda has been badly missing a diesel engine. Its high time they introduce diesel cars in India or they are going to keep losing their market share.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks