Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 20:29   #76
BANNED

Re: Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
Also they say that they can install the VLX immobilizer to my LX model for 18,000 Rupees.
Will it help? and is there anything more that I can install to deter the thieves?
Do let me know.
An immobiliser will certainly help in delaying the thief, to a much greater extent than any other deterrent. Also, apart from the gear lock, if you live in a theft prone area, you could get one of those steering locks like Anjan has recommended.

Another good but expensive option is to get a SIM card based security system fitted which sends out smses when the vehicle is broken into and once stolen, of its location at all times.

Also, since the passenger door lock is always the target, remove it completely and lock and unlock your car using the remote control only. This is being successfully done by many Scorpio owners of the forum.

One more idea is to continue using the old passenger door lock and a new driver door lock. This too will fool the thief for a few more minutes.
Old 5th February 2012, 22:51   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Today at 4 am , cops show up at home, some one had tried to break into my scorpio lx, he pried open the passenger side door lock out , gained access to the vehicle
The newer LXs don't have a passenger side door lock, and also come with immobiliser as standard now. Looks like these came about after the spate of Scorpios being stolen across the country.

Between, is your vehicle parked on the street or in an enclosed parking?
Old 7th February 2012, 23:05   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The newer LXs don't have a passenger side door lock, and also come with immobiliser as standard now. Looks like these came about after the spate of Scorpios being stolen across the country.

Between, is your vehicle parked on the street or in an enclosed parking?
Got the vehicle back today ,with the lock set changed and with the gear lock fitted , the vehicle was being parked on the street , now ive arranged for it to be parked in a friends colony, and for good measure I am taking the scorpio back to goa, and leaving it at home. Mumbai seems to want to take my scorpio away from me!!!!. Thank you for the lovely advice.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:56   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the vehicle back today ,with the lock set changed and with the gear lock fitted , the vehicle was being parked on the street , now ive arranged for it to be parked in a friends colony, and for good measure I am taking the scorpio back to goa, and leaving it at home. Mumbai seems to want to take my scorpio away from me!!!!. Thank you for the lovely advice.
In addition to the Gear locks and steering locks, I would really push you to get your an immobilizer fit on to your scorpio. Once fit, go in for a GPS based tracker with immobilzer function. This will ensure your scorpio isnt stolen and also give you the facility to make the vehicle immobile through GPS. Try Mahindra Telematics for a head start.
Old 18th July 2016, 17:46   #80
BHPian

Folks,

My Scorpio was almost stolen in the wee hours of July 16.

I usually park it on the roadside in front of an empty site. I had booked Tirupati darshan on Jul 17, so decided to give my Scorpio a wash. When i went to the vehicle, i saw that the wipers were running, i was confused went near and saw that the door was unlocked and the alarm sounded as i opened it.
Then switched off the alarm and checked around the vehicle.
To my horror the window glass behind the driver was completely shattered. I opened the driver's door and saw that the key barrel had been completely tampered and broken.
My heart broke, i stopped the wiper and inserted the key and turned. It turned a full 180 degree without resistance, so knew that the key lock was completely broken.

On making some inquiries with neighbors found that two of them had heard the alarm at about 4 am and one of them saw a person running chased by street dogs. It seems the alarm went off in 5 mins. So, they thought that i had switched it off and did not bother informing me.

Now, mine is Oct 2012 LX 4WD with a immobilizer. On top of this i have gear lock installed and GPS tracking. I got these two installed as the Scorpio used to parked in the roadside.
The mistake i did was, i parked it in front of vacant site, that is where the thief broke the glass.

Fortunately, the immobilizer did its job and the thwarted the thief.

Pics below:

Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)-img_20160716_081541685.jpg

Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)-img_20160716_081549752.jpg

Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)-img_20160716_081600692.jpg

Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)-img_20160716_081620251.jpg

Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)-img_20160716_081627972.jpg

Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)-img_20160716_081652103.jpg

Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)-img_20160716_093144991.jpg

Now, as a precaution i am parking it infront of my house and under bright street light.
The vehicle is always central locked, steering locked (built-in), gear locked and GPS tracked.
Thinking of parking within a neighbouring compound along with other vehicles until i find a new apartment with proper security.
gypsyFreak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 17:57   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Folks,

My Scorpio was almost stolen in the wee hours of July 16.
Good to know that the thieves were unsuccessful

Where did this happen? In Bangalore or Mysore?
Also for the benefit of other bhpians please do share as to which area it happened so that people in that locality can be careful
i_see is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 18:15   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
Good to know that the thieves were unsuccessful

Where did this happen? In Bangalore or Mysore?
Also for the benefit of other bhpians please do share as to which area it happened so that people in that locality can be careful
This happened in HSR Layout, Sector 6, Bangalore.
Old 19th July 2016, 10:10   #83
BHPian

Quote:
This happened in HSR Layout, Sector 6, Bangalore.
I though I recognized the area. I stay in Teachers Colony. HSR Layout area is becoming a hot bed of crime with multiple criminal cases coming to the fore over the past few months.

I have been thinking about how best to avoid the car being stolen. Would removing the tyre pressures from all four tyres when parked help? Would it deter would be thieves since it would be harder to drive away without being noticed? One could always use an electronic air pump to inflate the tyres when needed. Of course this would make sense only if the car is not a daily driver.
Old 19th July 2016, 14:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear the incidence, must be quite shocking; but the good thing at least the vehicle couldn't be stolen at the end. Did you get any tentative damage related to repair cost of the lock console and wiring part?
Old 19th July 2016, 18:32   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
I though I recognized the area. I stay in Teachers Colony. HSR Layout area is becoming a hot bed of crime with multiple criminal cases coming to the fore over the past few months.

I have been thinking about how best to avoid the car being stolen....
I guess it would help to some extent. It would be better to have a multiple deterrants (immobilizer, steering lock, gear lock, wheel lock, GPS etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Sorry to hear the incidence, must be quite shocking; but the good thing at least the vehicle couldn't be stolen at the end. Did you get any tentative damage related to repair cost of the lock console and wiring part?
It cost me 8K for replacing the entire key barrel and window glass at MASS. I had Roadside assistance, so it took care of towing expenses...
Old 24th August 2016, 19:26   #86

Quote:
Folks,

Now, mine is Oct 2012 LX 4WD with a immobilizer. On top of this i have gear lock installed and GPS tracking. I got these two installed as the Scorpio used to parked in the roadside.
The mistake i did was, i parked it in front of vacant site, that is where the thief broke the glass.

The vehicle is always central locked, steering locked (built-in), gear locked and GPS tracked.
lucky you the car is safe.
after reading about similar incidents, I am inclined towards buying a GPS tracking device.
could you please tell us about your particular device? I am sure other readers would also be looking for such information.
which company?
how much it costs?
from where is it available?
are there recurring charges? i have seen mapmyindia's rover series. I wont mind the upfront cost of up to 10,000, but those annual charges of sim renewal costing about 2000-3000 which i find excessive. can't we get our own sim on these devices and pay up accordingly to our usage.

thank you for your inputs.
Old 24th August 2016, 19:55   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control2freak View Post
lucky you the car is safe.
after reading about similar incidents, I am inclined towards buying a GPS tracking device.
could you please tell us about your particular device? I am sure other readers would also be looking for such information.
which company?
how much it costs?
from where is it available?
are there recurring charges? i have seen mapmyindia's rover series. I wont mind the upfront cost of up to 10,000, but those annual charges of sim renewal costing about 2000-3000 which i find excessive. can't we get our own sim on these devices and pay up accordingly to our usage.

thank you for your inputs.
I have installed it from Autocop. More details here.

It cost me 5,000 after i gave my old remote and got new remote + tracking.
First 15 months its free and then its another 1500 for next 15 months.
I am not sure about using our own sim here.
I even tried putting my old android smartphone hardwired with some tracking software app. But somehow, it did not materialize..
You might want to give this a try...
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 20:47   #88

Quote:
I have installed it from Autocop. More details here.

It cost me 5,000 after i gave my old remote and got new remote + tracking.
First 15 months its free and then its another 1500 for next 15 months.
I am not sure about using our own sim here.
I even tried putting my old android smartphone hardwired with some tracking software app. But somehow, it did not materialize..
You might want to give this a try...
these GPS devices are good, but the recurring charges are not justifed in my opinion. They don't have their servers to maintain(using google maps), they are just charging for SMS renewals. that too around 2000 (map my India, phoenix security etc).
that cost isn't justified.
the autocop one is still a bit OK.

also, have you found/ encountered any issues? have you tried "stress testing", i mean creating a test scenario of a theft to check if the device performs well? The device itself should be hidden nicely, else the purpose is defeated.

thank you again.
Old 24th August 2016, 23:39   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now, as a precaution i am parking it infront of my house and under bright street light.
Thinking of parking within a neighbouring compound along with other vehicles until i find a new apartment with proper security.
Apart from the theft deterrent devices, please also buy one manual steering lock. The kind that was popular in the 1990's and is available through the e-commerce sites. It locks the brake pedal and the steering with hooks at the two ends.

Quite a shocking incident that unnerves the owner. But luckily the SUV could not be stolen by the thieves.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th August 2016 at 18:27. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 25th August 2016, 01:41   #90
BHPian

I would recommend a clutch lever lock for high risk parking areas. Even if the thief manages to crack the immobilizer and remove the gear lock, I doubt he's going to have the patience to brother with one of these, leave alone taking it apart.

I got one about 6 months back and use it every time I park anywhere outside of my residential parking.

Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)-1.jpg

Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)-2.jpg

http://www.amazon.in/clutch-device-V...97W44DZAJM96AN

Not available on Amazon as of now but the link helps in checking compatibility, as details are not mentioned on Snapdeal.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/onam...bSearch:vg-160
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed