Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 10:37   #46
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti would have done some kind of a survey and concluded that Auto's variant would not sell more than 5% in India for their car range. What they are possibly missing out is the chance to take their vehicles to a higher value range, and a premium for their brand in the future.

One can't just be seen a reliable, cheap and serviceable, the Snob / Brand value too is required, especially as India goes up the value chain.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:40   #47
BHPian

People are mainly scared of the intial higher costs and the running cost due to low FE in cars with AT.
Any idea about FE differences between i10 AT and MT or a Santro AT and MT?
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:54   #48
BHPian

There are a lot of people, men and women included who are opting for the AT these days and the numbers are only increasing. Yes, there is a certain amount of choice in the 10+ L segment but in the small car segment, there is only the i10AT which is kind of disappointing. I would have expected Maruti to come out with an AT box in their Ritz, A Star and Swift which would have definitely resulted in a swing of customers from Hyundai to Suzuki.

Perosnally I have a NHC CVT and an i10 AT. Convenience overules mileage in this case and I am sure 90% of buyers of an AT will share the same reason.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
People are mainly scared of the intial higher costs and the running cost due to low FE in cars with AT.
Any idea about FE differences between i10 AT and MT or a Santro AT and MT?

For i10, I guess it is around 2 kmpl. I personally get FE of around 11.5 from a 2 month old car, and have read about people getting 12-13 kmpl on an A/T i10.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:46   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
For i10, I guess it is around 2 kmpl. I personally get FE of around 11.5 from a 2 month old car, and have read about people getting 12-13 kmpl on an A/T i10.
12-13 kmpl for i10 AT is pretty decent. Probably this word should spread so that the gyan builds on FE of AT cars. One of my friends avoided going for a Santro AT as many others were quoting 5-7 kmpl for the same.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgeorge View Post
There are a lot of people, men and women included who are opting for the AT these days and the numbers are only increasing. Yes, there is a certain amount of choice in the 10+ L segment but in the small car segment, there is only the i10AT which is kind of disappointing. I would have expected Maruti to come out with an AT box in their Ritz, A Star and Swift which would have definitely resulted in a swing of customers from Hyundai to Suzuki.

Perosnally I have a NHC CVT and an i10 AT. Convenience overules mileage in this case and I am sure 90% of buyers of an AT will share the same reason.
I second your opinions. I too have a Honda City CVT ( I don't know if it is the new honda city), since there came a model after my city ( the one which says Vtec), but before the current new honda city.

The pleasure and convenience of driving an auto transmission is something that can be fathomed only after owning one.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:25   #52
BHPian

Hi Ritesh, I have the City, the previous model to the latest ANHC. I get around 10 to 11 km/litre. My i10 also returns the same. I am not complaining and I do not own a petrol pump . The convenience of driving through KR Puram traffic in Bangalore every morning and evening is reason enough to consider an automatic.
Old 24th October 2009, 07:58   #53
BHPian

Well said Sid. If only we could break all the myths on A/Ts...

Ananth
Hyundai Santro A/T

Quote:
Don't really agree to some points of yours.
All opinions strictly personal - and I am no automobile guru!
Old 26th October 2009, 20:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

guess the following is from Maruti Suzuki in response to this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-brochure.html

The first practical 4speed A/T car from MSIL stable - the face lifted SX4 @ around 8 lakhs ex showroom delhi!

Last edited by blackasta : 26th October 2009 at 20:31.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:36   #55
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The first practical 4speed A/T car from MSIL stable - the face lifted SX4 @ around 8 lakhs ex showroom delhi!
That is too little too late. They should get the 4 speed Auto in the ritz/ swift segment to give their current flagshift car older 4 speed technology will rub off the brand the wrong way.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:47   #56
BHPian

I did a compare of the automatic versions of the SX4, the i20 and the City and it does look as if the SX4 is targeting the City. Apart from the power, where the SX4 falls woefully short, the rest of the specs are comparably if not better in the SX4. Not sure though how many people would give up the Honda tag for a Maruti tag.
Old 30th October 2009, 07:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:

Is the hatchback version of the SX4 also made in India? Caught sight of one in the US on a recent trip. Fit and finish looked great!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti's that are made in India, but NOT sold in India!!-dsc00105.jpg  

Old 30th October 2009, 09:58   #58
BANNED

Almost all Auto Transmissions sold in India attracting massive taxation. Also, we are hyper sensitive to kitna deti hai. I have seen people who must be having their own oil well to afford ther mount, still raising this quation. So the market for ATs is very limited. However, I hear demand is growing nowadays given the urban mess.

Also, since Maruti is a global hub for Suzuki so naturally you will have models which are made in India, but not sold here. Probably the volumes will nto justify setting up a service support network.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks