Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2005, 16:40   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
It was actually like a small sea ranging from Somiya Hospital covering the whole ground and the mainroad and Chunabhatti Station. Frankly, I have never seen such a disaster in my life.
You bet dude..large sea..I was one of those who was inside the Somaiya hospital building that day..couldn't leave on time..(am a medical student there).
Even on 27th July,when I left from that building around 12 noon,there was a total crisis situation in the hospital,no electricity,no backup,no food/water supplies..the food storage area was on the ground floor,in a small godown constructed just a few metres away from the hospital,and the entire supplies were ruined,because the hospital food catering dept. didn't get a chance to take out the food supplies..
When I left at 12 noon,had to walk in almost 5 feet waters from the hospital building to the Everard Nagar area,subsequently connecting to the eastern highway.
I'm sure the ones who stay around that area(like Stratos),must be familiar on how bad the stretch from the hospital to the main highway is,with many nalas in between.
sr
Old 29th July 2005, 18:02   #47
BHPian

Can we talk sense?

[quote=v_s_natarajan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
I hate to be a quibbler, but I don't understand what this Mumbaikar spirit is, that everyone's talking about. QUOTE]
oh that is because it is raining in Mumbai.
if it had been Cheenai, it would be a chennaite, bangalorians in case of bangalore, patnian in case of patna

Dude you got no other place or time to give you valuable comments..... people are not comparing any city....they are just expressing themselves...
Old 29th July 2005, 19:31   #48
BHPian

I am originally a mumbaite now settled in Bangalore.. And for once i feel that the devastation left behind by the rainfall in Mumbai was much worse than the december 26 tsunami.. Also isn't it strange that the date is again 26.. This time in july..

I have a flat in Sanpada, Navi-mumbai.. Off, palm beach road.. in moraj residency.. Does anybody staying nearby tell me about the conditions there.. although i have no news about the damage that has been done to the Mumbai-Pune expressway and the palm-beach highway..

Did water enter the houses on the ground floor??
Old 10th August 2005, 01:37   #49
BHPian

Submerged Mumbai

One can only imagine the plight of these vehicles on 26th July 2005......

Bandra Flyover...

W.Exp. Highway...

Bandra Flyover...

Bandra Flyover...

Bandra Flyover...

W.Exp. Highway...

Totalled...

Gone...

Time to Nap...

Old 10th August 2005, 20:33   #50
BHPian

WOW,
Lovely pictures man.I never thought it was this much destruction.The news papers did not give good pictures at all.I"m sorry for all those people who had to face nature's fury.
Old 10th August 2005, 21:43   #51
BHPian

yes, f-R, really good pics,

gives a clear idea of day1 at bandra - too bad, not many of these pictures got published in the news - after all, most news guys only reached ground zero on day2/3 - and now can you imagine what happened at kalina/ kurla where we were - and water at around 8 feet!!!
Old 10th August 2005, 22:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

hey F.R nice pictures man..so far the best i have seen of the 26/7 floods...really wish there was some kind of warning system...hope all our mumbai member's rides are doing good.
Old 29th August 2005, 01:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how authentic these pictures are, but I received an e-mail some days back with them, so thought I'd share them with everyone here.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 29th August 2005 at 01:21.
Old 29th August 2005, 10:51   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
I am originally a mumbaite now settled in Bangalore.. And for once i feel that the devastation left behind by the rainfall in Mumbai was much worse than the december 26 tsunami..
Tsunami killed more than 150,000 people, not a fair comparision.

One terrible thing happened in our apartment complex today in Bangalore. It started raining heavily around 1:30AM today. More than 20 cars that were parked in the basement got completely under water. That's when the sleepy security guards decided to wake up the owners. We are yet to figure out the actual damage. Fortunately both my cars are parked in open parking lot, escaped the fury of the basement flood. The flood pump in the basement didn't work because the local electricity board (BESCOM) promptly cut the power at the first sign of rain.

Back to the topic, the photos posted here are the worst I have seen, no newspaper has this kind of photos. Just thinking about it gives me the creeps.

Most Viewed