Team-BHP - 26th July, 2005 - Worst we've seen
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   26th July, 2005 - Worst we've seen (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/6774-26th-july-2005-worst-weve-seen.html)

The worst monsoon day in the history of Mumbai. Never ever have we witnessed such a situation. A day that most people preferred their legs to their wheels. Some papers claiming that this is the highest recorded rainfall ever in India. Whatever be it, Mumbai went through a very bad mental and physical pressure. People walking through the flooded streets like dead people. Most vehicles shut down while most are already drowned. Houses were destroyed. Still Mumbai lived up to its name. Many helping each other. Strangers offering a helping hand to anyone and everyone. Even giving tea, water and food at regular intervals. Most have been walking for a maximum of 24-30 hrs in neck-deep waters. Thousands lost. No transportation, no communication, no electricity. Forget people, children stranded in school buses. Animals dead. Lights, sirens of vehicles starting up suddenly. Announcements being made at midnight about the next 6 hrs being more worse than the previous 12 hrs.

Thank God, the situation is now back to normal. We hope we don't see such a crisis ever again.

Below are some photos I found on MSNBC.

zowee!!!

I, for one, will not be making the "Bangalore is pathetic in rains" rant anytime soon. Things could be much much worse.

Hats off to the Mumbai psyche. I'd been in that city half my life and I KNOW that it takes much more than this to deter the Mumbaikar. the way people take things like this in their stride is just amazing.
Wish Bangalore had half that spirit.

guys,

here are a few pics of a indigo of our factory that was stuck in the fury of the rain. the car couldnt withstand the force of water and went in a biiiiiig hole and got stuck under a pipeline that carries drinking water. and within a few seconds - a huge tree came crashing down.

and to top it off - the villagers from the vicinity removed the wheels and stereos and other things of use after the driver and owner abandoned the vehicle. we salvaged it today and sent it to Fortune Motors nerul.

awaiting feedback now from the insurance guys.

Quote:

the villagers from the vicinity removed the wheels and stereos and other things of use after the driver and owner abandoned the vehicle.
Its such a sad thing that even in times of crisis, people will still take advantage of such situations.

Quote:

Its such a sad thing that even in times of crisis, people will still take advantage of such situations
I read on rediff that some small time restaurant near the offices had started charging 85bucks for a sandwich that usually costs 15bucks. :Frustrati

Bad day for Mumbai...first the rain and then the Bombay High fire. Never seen anything like this in India...I thought the rains that lashed Baroda were the worst thing that could happen...but now I see that there is absolutely no limit.

Bombay has not learnt nor any city will learn.

I was stuck in Bombay in the first week of Aug-1988 in a similar situation.
I started from panvel around 9Am and reached the airport around midnight.
There were torrential rains and the whole city got flooded. The water was waist deep and all the vehicles were stranded, the same story 7 years later.
Similar things will happen in the future also and we will see the same thing.
This despite the fact that Bombay has the best drainage systems in the country.

None of our city administrators will ever do anything for us. If it rains like this, it is better to stay put in the house. i was disgusted on seeing the snaps. and it the feelings turned into fury.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
This despite the fact that Bombay has the best drainage systems in the country.

Bombay doent have the best drainage system - it has a 100 year old drainage system that is totally inadequate !!

and besides - why blame anyone or the government for what happened ? dont you think we as citizens were or are equally responsible ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy
dont you think we as citizens were or are equally responsible ?

people like you and me and many other good citizens have been voting. look what is happening.
it may be 100 years old but it is still good.
there are cities which do not have drainages.
the point i am trying to make is that nothing ever will be done and down the line we will see flooding incidents like this whether we vote or no.
want to bet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
people like you and me and many other good citizens have been voting. look what is happening.
it may be 100 years old but it is still good.
there are cities which do not have drainages.
the point i am trying to make is that nothing ever will be done and down the line we will see flooding incidents like this whether we vote or no.
want to bet?

I cant see where we as citizens come into the picture, because development and maintenance of infrastructure is the responsibility of the government. Thats why we pay taxes. Check out how much you paid in taxes (Sales Tax, Additional Sales Tax, Octroi, Education Cess, Road Tax and the biggest of them all CENTRAL EXCISE) when you buy a vehicle. Arent you paying enough to be able to enjoy decent infrastructure when you buy a vehicle (since this is Team BHP - obviously we all pay plenty of other taxes). Similarly when you buy an apartment the amount of sales, service and other taxes you pay is quite substantial and it is normal to expect this kind of money to be used to facilitate life in such places (roads, buildings).

On top of this, we are now having to pay tolls and user fees for any new development such as roads or bye-passes. Its almost as though they're doing us a favour by developing BASIC INFRASTRUCTURE that is necessary to sustain development.

Finally, this country (and its people) has NO maintenance culture whatsoever.
We expect things to sustain themselves, maintain themselves. Any additional cost we may have to pay towards such maintenance is looked at with deep suspicion. For example, just look at the apartment blocks in Mumbai - every building other than the newer ones has such a dirty, run-down facade because nobody wants to maintain them. I'm taking this example not because I dont like Mumbai, but because this is the first sight that greets a majority of visitors to this country when they land at our premier 'international' airport.

Other cities in the world have infrastructure (including drainage) dating back to the beginning of the last century. The difference is that they MAINTAIN that infrastructure while we take it for granted, waking up to reality only on days like these.

To read some experiences on what people have gone through mentally and physically, read this Mid-Day link. If you have had a terrible time on Tuesday, you can post your experience here.

A salute to the Mumbaikar spirit
http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/jul/28mt1.htm

I think I got away really lucky. Even though my workplace is a good 12 kilometers away, I didnt get a single drop of water on me. My office realised the gravity of the situation only by 4 pm, and by then it was too late to even contemplate going home (for the suburbans). Well, instead of getting stuck in one place on the road for hours...we decided that we will work till 8 pm (just like any other regular day) after which the team will split for dinner / movies and then regroup at the homes of people living closer to the office. Including my own house, we had 5 available options for the entire office to spend the night at. I called Rehaan and grouped up with him and a friend for a chinese dinner and drinks. Left for home at 11 pm and was home by about 11:45. Safe, dry and with only my Eagle F1 tyres wet.

Some observations:

1. South Bombay was not at all flooded, heck I did not even see any puddles anywhere. On the other hand - The suburbs were finished with every lane resembling a cluttered bath tub. Some of my friends from the suburbs have spent the last 48 hours in their house without water, phones and electricity. The rest who accepted my invitation are over at my place.

2. I drove back after the traffic had passed in this end of town and saw several hundred cars (from the Swift to an E270) abandoned in the middle of the road. At junctions. On the footpaths. Blocking peoples houses. On dividers.

3. In my 45 minute drive home, I did not notice a single government employee (including policemen). Not one.

4. The Hutch / Orange network was down where I was - rendering my personal cell phone useless. So was BPL and Airtel. It was a wise decision to take my Reliance work phone which didnt seem affected by the weather.

5. A friends dad bought a new car, and she challenged me to identify it (via MMS). I couldnt because not even the roof was visible. In the morning, the water stepped aside to disclose a one month old Optra. Ruined.

6. The drive was full of good samaritans distributing water and food packets to each and every pedestrian. People were more than willing to share their cell phones with total strangers.

7.There are many who took anywhere between 15 - 36 hours to get home from work. Unluckier were those who spent the entire day and night in the seats of their cars or on the footpath. People complained of snake bites, dead rats getting stuck in their clothes and what not.

As luck would have it, my Jeep was in the workshop for a monsoon tuneup. Else it would have helped us reach out to some more people yesterday.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
I cant see where we as citizens come into the picture, because development and maintenance of infrastructure is the responsibility of the government.

Steer, Imagine what if such thing happens in US or in Europe. People would take Government to task for its negligance. It can not happen in India, because people are lethargic, ignorant and selfish at times. Governments form and collapse in India due to emotional issues and not due to development issues. You must be aware of how elections are run. Each and every member of a "zopadpatti" (slums) religously votes to the local dada, while learned intellectuals enjoy public holiday, sitting at home talking about rotten democracy, corrupt beurocracy and incompetent "netaa"s over cup of tea. And, I am just taking elections as an example. Government is nothing but reflection of society. You deserve what you get. ("You" as in "Society", not as in "you steeroid").

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
The Hutch / Orange network was down where I was - rendering my personal cell phone useless. So was BPL and Airtel. It was a wise decision to take my Reliance work phone which didnt seem affected by the weather.

Don't know about South Mumbai, but in the suburbs only Airtel and TATA Indicom were working, but they were just jammed. It used to take sometime for the phones to connect, but they were ON. Whereas, BPL and Orange were crap. They were nowhere!!! It was completely shut off. In such emergency situations, I guess this is quite dangerous. But it may not be the companies fault, it may have been that way because of the situation. Don't know the whole truth.

I dont know which timeline are you talking about, but I was able to contact my brother on his Orange Cellphone at around 10 pm. But yes, it was down till then. He was in Lower Parel that time.