Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Hyundai or Ford? Which has a better future in india and which is a better choice?
Hyundai 44 63.77%
Ford 25 36.23%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2005, 07:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler
IMO Ford is a more desirable brand and their cars are better looking and have solid build quality and great engines.

But as far as sales are concerned, Hyundai defenitely has an edge.
Bingo ! bullseye NOw that was what I was trying to explain.
Old 30th July 2005, 10:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
. But build quality, performance,ride and handling is really better.
Quote:
Hyundai has benefitted from economies from scale against ford. Hyundai has had a bashing in recent threads as hyundai cars are not able to last for more than 3-4 years.This is not said by me but the owners of Hyundai.
We keep hearing this stuff about 'build quality'. I own an Accent that's over 3 years old and has done > 50,000 kms of hard driving (the car is pretty much idle for the better part of the year, and it does some serious and hard driving whenever I am around so you can imagine the intensity of those 50,000 kms) but you wont find a rattle or squeak on it. I am a paranoid car owner who tends to stop the car and inspect it if there is even the hint of squeak, so that says a lot about the build quality of this car.

You will find that a majority of Accents are similarly problem free. One cant say the same for the Santro, but then thats in a different segment where all cars are rattle-prone after the punishment they take.

To end this, let me give you three examples. On my last trip to Bangalore a week ago, we took the atrocious Mysore (and Eyesore)-Bangalore route at night. The car was fully laden with parents and and aunt in the back seat and a ton of luggage in the boot. We hit at least 4 unmarked speedbreakers at high speeds, two of them at over 100 kmph. This is besides a number of instances where a perfectly smooth road turned into a moon-like surface with no warning, resulting in panic braking and some excursions over the said moon-surfaces. I also heard my shocks bottom out on quite a few occassions in the pouring rain - couldnt stop and inspect. This was definitely Jeep territory and I took the car to a water service station with some amount of foreboding. Inspected the underpinnings when the chap took the car up to clean the chassis and I could find quite a few scars, but no damage to the suspension. Took the car to Trident Hyundai the next day and they confirmed no damage done.

Compare this with two other instances:

My 2003 Mondy goes over ONE speedbreaker at 80kmph in Dubai when I'm a bit lost on the roads after a particularly heavy Thursday night (Saturday night for you guys) session. Rear suspension bushes had to be replaced and the springs keep squeaking thereafter every time they were under any sort of stress.

My 2002 Civic goes into ONE pothole in South Africa in its entire life with me and the front LHS tie-rod and bushes have to be REPLACED! That was in pouring rain, but very much in the city and we were doing about 70 kmph.

In contrast, the only suspension component I have replaced on the Accent was the wheel bearing on my front RHS which had been replaced after an accident where a scooterist ran a red light and smacked bang on to my front wheel (directly onto the wheel at a 90 degree angle) at a traffic signal.

I suppose I've wandered about a bit in this post, but I do get annoyed when people make irresponsible comments so casually.
Old 30th July 2005, 11:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
i had similar experiences with TVs when i had the palio
Does TVS sends guys to your office? We have 2 Palio's & 2 Honda City maintained with TVS & not even a single time they had did this. Your'e really lucky to get service at your doorstep. May be I will give a try next time
Old 30th July 2005, 14:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Its a very tough call here. Ford and Hyundai both are entrenched firmly here - Hyundai has more models and better presence in the different segments.

the cars from both the manufacturers are good.........and A.S.S is not a problem for both. having owned an ikon and a santro i can say that the A.S.S of ford is as good as hyundai.

the problem with ford here is the price at which the cars are offered are on the higher side and besides the ikon is still the bread and butter model after 5 years of operation.

i think ford should get in new models asap here .....and have a rethink about pricing of the cars too.....

hyundai doesnt have to do much though recently they have started loosing ground.......

i havent voted - its too close to call !
Old 30th July 2005, 23:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid..I bought a Baleno but would agree with you that Accent is the most rattle free car I have seen ever...period...all my friends who have accents....have not got any rattle in the car at all !!! even after 5 years of hard driving....and the car is pretty smooth too inside though the engine can take a rough tone / knock if not in the right rpm
Old 30th July 2005, 23:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
We keep hearing this stuff about 'build quality'. I own an Accent that's over 3 years old and has done > 50,000 kms of hard driving (the car is pretty much idle for the better part of the year, and it does some serious and hard driving whenever I am around so you can imagine the intensity of those 50,000 kms) but you wont find a rattle or squeak on it. I am a paranoid car owner who tends to stop the car and inspect it if there is even the hint of squeak, so that says a lot about the build quality of this car.

You will find that a majority of Accents are similarly problem free. One cant say the same for the Santro, but then thats in a different segment where all cars are rattle-prone after the punishment they take.

To end this, let me give you three examples. On my last trip to Bangalore a week ago, we took the atrocious Mysore (and Eyesore)-Bangalore route at night. The car was fully laden with parents and and aunt in the back seat and a ton of luggage in the boot. We hit at least 4 unmarked speedbreakers at high speeds, two of them at over 100 kmph. This is besides a number of instances where a perfectly smooth road turned into a moon-like surface with no warning, resulting in panic braking and some excursions over the said moon-surfaces. I also heard my shocks bottom out on quite a few occassions in the pouring rain - couldnt stop and inspect. This was definitely Jeep territory and I took the car to a water service station with some amount of foreboding. Inspected the underpinnings when the chap took the car up to clean the chassis and I could find quite a few scars, but no damage to the suspension. Took the car to Trident Hyundai the next day and they confirmed no damage done.

Compare this with two other instances:

My 2003 Mondy goes over ONE speedbreaker at 80kmph in Dubai when I'm a bit lost on the roads after a particularly heavy Thursday night (Saturday night for you guys) session. Rear suspension bushes had to be replaced and the springs keep squeaking thereafter every time they were under any sort of stress.

My 2002 Civic goes into ONE pothole in South Africa in its entire life with me and the front LHS tie-rod and bushes have to be REPLACED! That was in pouring rain, but very much in the city and we were doing about 70 kmph.

In contrast, the only suspension component I have replaced on the Accent was the wheel bearing on my front RHS which had been replaced after an accident where a scooterist ran a red light and smacked bang on to my front wheel (directly onto the wheel at a 90 degree angle) at a traffic signal.

I suppose I've wandered about a bit in this post, but I do get annoyed when people make irresponsible comments so casually.

taking one single point and then bashing is not good. read the previous post where I have said there are hyundai fans too who have bee satisfied with it and buy a hyundai again. you are one of those.
Old 31st July 2005, 00:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai bashing and Fiat worship are pretty high on the list of many of our contributors, and I suspect many of the overtly vocal ones havent owned either brand.
Let's keep Fiat out of this thread, Thanks! I am very much tempted to comment on this, but that would be a digression. If anyone is so pissed off with Fiat, let's open another thread of "xxx vs. Fiat cars" and I am ready to contribute on that.
Old 31st July 2005, 00:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai bashing and Fiat worship are pretty high on the list of many of our contributors, and I suspect many of the overtly vocal ones havent owned either brand.
Guess someone touched a raw nerve there...
I beleive in statistics and hyundai is one of the two profit making and on the way up, car makers from the top five in the world. Ford and GM are on the way down. Daimler chrysler is as it is.
In Indian context, they are the first to offer relatively newer/latest technological cars. If not for hyundai, maruti would have been as lethargic as HM. Ford on the other hand seems to be in a state of coma, unless they launch the slated new world car in india.
Old 31st July 2005, 01:28   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai definitely has a better future in India. They have a car for most segments, more dealerships and from what I have heard, better after sales service. Hyundais are also cheap, reliable and relatively more fuel efficient. Also, the Accent's CRDi engine beats the hell out of the Ikon's old 1.8L diesel. All these factors put together result in higher popularity and better sales. I would certainly recommend a Hyundai over a Ford.
As far as my personal choice is concerned, my heart always rules over my head. It will have to be Ford. I like the Ikon and love the Endeavour, Mondeo and Fusion. I'd love to own one of these cars.
Old 31st July 2005, 02:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

On a personal level I really dont like Hyundai cars but when one looks at it practically, Hyundai is way ahead of Ford in all aspects. They have a wide model range which Ford lacks and their A.S.S is as good as Marutis or maybe even better. Hyundai are cars which appeal to the average family man or someone who buys a car as a good means of transportation and isnt really concerened about performance. And that Hyundai does that very well. But if it was my personal choice I would choose a Ford because they appeal to me more as a car enthusiast. Even if Ford has a small model portfolio all of them appeal to the driver in you. I absolutely lust after a Mondeo or an Endeavour.

In this case my vote is a null

Dippy
Old 31st July 2005, 05:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

I hate Hyundai.But i also have to agree to the fact that these guys have really positioned themselves well in the market and time and again launched a interesting model aiming at the indian automotive psyche.They have one of the most practical cars and technologies on road presently.
All said and done,how many companies have you seen giving maruti a run for thier money????
After Maruti,its Hyundai for practical and affordable cars with great A.S.S backup.

Ford on the other hand is a great company,but they are definately going the HM way by launching too many revamped editions of the Ikon.
Mondeo is a great car,but thats it.How many people in India buy a car ignoring the maintanence and f.e factors???? Very few.
Endeavour and Fusion have been outright disasters.

Let me put it like this : Endeavour + Fusion + Mondeo = Santro.

So its Hyundai all the way for me.

X
Old 31st July 2005, 06:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Let's keep Fiat out of this thread, Thanks! I am very much tempted to comment on this, but that would be a digression. If anyone is so pissed off with Fiat, let's open another thread of "xxx vs. Fiat cars" and I am ready to contribute on that.
RX

Thank you, but no thank you. As mentioned elsewhere, those posts are spreading on this site like an outbreak of the pox and its becoming rather difficult and painful to search this forum for other relevent posts.

I'm not sure if you've noticed it, but there is a very visible polarisation happening on this forum with a set of people who refuse to acknowledge the existence of other products rapidly painting themselves into a corner. This is not a healthy sign and the least that a person with a slightly less rabid view could do is to stop adding fuel to the fire by suggesting more such posts.

The very fact that the mere mention of the word Fiat is the only reason you posted on this thread is a symptom of this blinkered approach.

PS: Dont bother replying to this post - if you want to, start another thread quoting this reply.

Last edited by Steeroid : 31st July 2005 at 06:34.
Old 31st July 2005, 14:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ikon may just lag behind 1-2 kmpl at maxin fuel efficiency. But build quality, performance,ride and handling is really better. Santro has given hyundai a superb lead over others. Ikon and accent are on their last stages in India. sonata and mondeo are big failures. Terracan and endeavour are not even seen. elantra and getz have also gathered just meagre sales..
Ikon is a good car...but slightly poor on reliability....more than one friend have had severe reliability issues with both the 1.8D and 1.6 ZXI models....

Quote:
Hyundai has benefitted from economies from scale against ford. Hyundai has had a bashing in recent threads as hyundai cars are not able to last for more than 3-4 years.
Do you know that Santro holds the maximum value after 5 years in its segment....would it be so if it fell apart after three...one of my friends has a 5 year 50k old santro and the only thing he has replaced is a rusty silencer...
Old 31st July 2005, 16:53   #44
BHPian

Ford is no great in India but they make better cars than the Koreans... In India only CRDI engine is good and that is not made by them... And they do not have to much respect in western countries also..
Old 31st July 2005, 16:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

And here comes this news -

A certain MR. Shahrukh Khan has renewed his contract with Hyundai for another 2 years for a speculated sum of 5 Crore Rupees.

Seems like Hyundai is safe on the advertising front !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks