Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 06:56   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
So I went to Kairali Ford in Trivandrum some time back to look at the new Ikon. Immediately I noticed that the new model had a bigger gap between wheel and car body, so big that the strut and coil spring was visible plainly on a white car.

Me: Why is that gap so large? It looks ugly.
SP: That's how it is in Ikon, sir. The gap is there because there is no load.
Me (pointing to previous model Ikon standing empty next to it): What about that one? That looks ok?

SP: Sir that is an older car - suspension is collapsed a bit from age!

Me (goes over to look at the older car and sees that it is a 2007 model with only 25K on odo): So the suspension only lasts 25K on Ikon? Wow!

SP: (looks a bit wild-eyed) No..No, sir. That car was rashly driven (the car looked pristine), anyway, new Ikon has better suspension, let me show you the brochure...

I went over to the new car, and saw that the tyre size was 13" on the new model and 14" on the old one! But nice recovery there by the SP, wouldn't you agree?
The problem with the most Sales guys at Car Dealerships is that they hardly go thru the brochures /tech specs themselves, so just BS their way around. That is why in the M&M dealership as well as workshop, they don't argue with me too much as they know I can screw them with logic .
Old 1st July 2010, 19:25   #332
Senior - BHPian

Used Car Evaluation

I thought of starting this thread to share fellow bhpians experience about used car evaluation. I had a funny experience on June 27, 2010 at Concorde Motors, Hosur road. I had spoken to a Fiat sales person 2 days before for exchanging my Spark to a new Palio-SDX. I took my car to valuation on Sunday. The sales person whom I had met earlier was not there and after waiting for some time another guy came. He had no clue about what I was talking because he thought all the Palio's in stock were cleared so I thought there was no point in talking to him and asked him to lead me to the in house valuation expert. The expert then arrived and asked me to show the car. His first comment was that TATA service centers do not let in any LPG cars inside, then I asked him what about TATA Indica LPG he replied it is a flop which was not the answer I wanted. Then he opened the boot, which also opened up his expertise on cars. In Spark as most of them may be aware the spare wheel is fitted to the rear seat unlike other LPG models but this guy thought that LPG tank was fitted to the back seat. Then his next comment was about the problem of switching over to Petrol when LPG is exhaust, he said that the car will stall in traffic. He was unaware of the auto switch over function in Spark. Then he commented that LPG models are a flop in India, wonder why we see so many Wagon R's around. Lastly he said that Spark has a poor build quality compared to Alto and it was not safe. Finally he asked me how much I expect for this car, I said around 2.9 to 3 lakhs(my car is 9 months old). He then told that he will call me back. I really wonder how these people valuate the cars when they dont understand the features of a car. Are they just going by a brand name and quality has no concerns for them, my fellow bhpians may share their experience and guide people who look to exchange their cars.

Last edited by deehunk : 1st July 2010 at 19:28. Reason: spelling error
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:12   #333
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but this guy thought that LPG tank was fitted to the back seat.
What a nut job! I'm moving your post here, Deehunk. This thread could anyways use some new posts & experiences.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:27   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I thought of starting this thread to share fellow bhpians experience about used car evaluation. I had a funny experience on June 27, 2010 at Concorde Motors, Hosur road. I had spoken to a Fiat sales person 2 days before for exchanging my Spark to a new Palio-SDX. I took my car to valuation on Sunday. The sales person whom I had met earlier was not there and after waiting for some time another guy came. He had no clue about what I was talking because he thought all the Palio's in stock were cleared so I thought there was no point in talking to him and asked him to lead me to the in house valuation expert. The expert then arrived and asked me to show the car. His first comment was that TATA service centers do not let in any LPG cars inside, then I asked him what about TATA Indica LPG he replied it is a flop which was not the answer I wanted. Then he opened the boot, which also opened up his expertise on cars. In Spark as most of them may be aware the spare wheel is fitted to the rear seat unlike other LPG models but this guy thought that LPG tank was fitted to the back seat. Then his next comment was about the problem of switching over to Petrol when LPG is exhaust, he said that the car will stall in traffic. He was unaware of the auto switch over function in Spark. Then he commented that LPG models are a flop in India, wonder why we see so many Wagon R's around. Lastly he said that Spark has a poor build quality compared to Alto and it was not safe. Finally he asked me how much I expect for this car, I said around 2.9 to 3 lakhs(my car is 9 months old). He then told that he will call me back. I really wonder how these people valuate the cars when they dont understand the features of a car. Are they just going by a brand name and quality has no concerns for them, my fellow bhpians may share their experience and guide people who look to exchange their cars.

Most of the times, these tactics are to justify a small price that he would quote after some time. The is a certain physiclogical dominance when he would say all the things that are not good about the car - which will make one feel that his car is not as good as he thought. So, uninformed buyers easily succumb to this and accept the price with a little haggling here and there.
Old 20th July 2010, 07:52   #335
Senior - BHPian

^^ Well, I do not see anything specially wrong that pissed you off. Whatever was said was quite standard, including anti-braking systems (the guy who came to the office to give a test drive of the Jazz said the same to me). Didn't mind that too much.

Also, if this guy could mention Daihatsu, I'd say that he's quite well informed.
Was there anything else?
Old 20th July 2010, 10:58   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevy Spark PDI Check @ Dealer

Car Key has a note attached to it - > 'AC NO COOLING'
Switched on the AC. Yes, 'AC NO COOLING'
Me: What is this?
Sales Person: We have taken the AC Fuse out
Me: Why?
SP: To prevent drivers putting on the AC when taking the car for registration
Me: Don't give me crap
SP: Gas is not filled. Sometimes we fill it only at the dealership.
Me: Enough. I can't hear more!! Please give me another car.

After a small meeting with the Supervisor, they offered another car in the next batch.
Old 20th July 2010, 12:40   #337
Senior - BHPian

I had taken my Storm for the 30k service on Saturday which basically meant just a visual inspection, wash and I wanted wheel balancing /alignment. Generally the ASC people know me and don't ask stupid questions but there was a new SA and this how the initial conversation went:

Me : Rear suspension noise is there so want a pressure wash.
SA: (Without even driving) Your vehicle is only at 29.1K so there cannot be suspension issues.
Me: There were issues, so had the whole rear suspension including shockers replaced under warranty. Even the new suspension in 3k has started making noise.
SA: Ok will check.

He then vanishes somewhere for about 20 minutes and comes out with one supervisor who I know very well and he is also very well versed with my vehicle's history. We go for test drive and he says that he will check the noise after wash. Also tells after the extensive TD that alignment is slightly off but balancing is not required.

Come to the workshop and then the new SA starts
SA: Do you have owner's Manual
Me: Yes
Supervisor: Why do you need the Owner's manual when the engine / chassis no. are on the plate and owner's name is there in vehicle history registered on their system.
SA: Ok. ( And notes down al the details)
SA: So Saar, what all do you want done?
Me: Wheel Alignment and wash. And the mud-flaps are broken so please replace them.
SA: Total will be around 1200.
SA: Saar, with washing we will also do interior shampoo. The interiors will shine. Also if you get anti-rust treatment, the suspension noise will go off.
Me: . No I don't want either. Just do what I want and I need the vehicle fast in the next 2 Hours ( Mahindra has quik service in 3 hours option. And ASC has put a new banner announching open 24X7)
SA: Not possible Saar, too many vehicle, you'll get your car only on Monday afternoon as there are too many other cars
Me: 2days for these two items.

The Supervisor comes to my rescue and prods/ threatens the alignment guy to do my vehicle first. The alignment had his bay empty but said he had terrible load.

Anyways finally I got my vehicle at 2.30 PM ( Had come to the ASC at 10AM)

Morale of the story: You need to know the ASC staff and your vehicle. Else be ready to be taken on a massive joyride by the most of the SA's who themselves also know nothing.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:07   #338
BANNED

Completely agree to MileCruncher. I make it a point to go in and stay with Hariya whenever he goes to the ASC for anything. Unless you know and can prod the staff at the ASC, service delays and stupid mistakes are very much likely to happen.
Old 20th July 2010, 14:58   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
OFF TOPIC: Some People do have problems in spelling these foreign names. My friend says Vani Hussian Shirt for Van Heusen Shirt. And for Smironoff Vodka it is Simran Off (Simran is the tamil actress)
This one's definitely here, but am inspired to share:

Ever hear of Mai-ka-lal Jai-Kishan? He otherwise goes by the name of Michael Jackson.
Old 20th July 2010, 17:30   #340
Senior - BHPian

It seems I havent shared one of my experience.

I was asking for prices of Scorpio VLX AT 4x4.

And this salesman from the dealership after checking calls me back and says, Sir 4x4 is not available, we have 2x2 available, you can buy that.
Old 20th July 2010, 17:52   #341
BHPian

I visited Sai Service at Andheri a few weeks back to inquire for a new Alto. I was shown a BS3 model but the SA insisted that this was the BS4 model. I simply told him to get in touch with his sr. who then showed me the BS4 car and also apologized for the SA's eagerness in pushing the BS3 model.
I then decided to test the SA's knowledge & asked him what the differences were in BS3 & BS4 cars. To my utter dismay the reply was "Sir, the difference is in the safety standards". I asked him in what way & he was stumped. However he came up with a quick answer and told me that the BS4 models had better quality steel. Did that mean that earlier cars were unsafe? Again no answer. I then asked if there was any difference in the engines or catalytic converter? Yes was the prompt reply. It brought a smile on my face. However his next statement made me burst into tears (happiness or sadness is your's to decide). "Sir there is no major change in the engine, but Maruti has removed catalytic converter in the BS4 model, making it better."
At this point my wife had enough (incidentally even she knew the differences) and simply got up & pulled me away. I am still in split even while writing this incident.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2010, 12:18   #342

Car: Chevy Beat
Dealer: AVK Auto

This happened during my waiting period while the bank processed my loan.

Me: I hear that there is a strange sound in the rear of the car which GM is aware of. To take care of this, they are fitting in "Collars" in the rear suspension FREE of cost during first service check-up. Would you have it fitted before-hand so that I dont have to go the service station especially for that?

Executive: That problem was in the BS3 Engine model. We managed to sell-off all those old models by March. From April onwards we have BS4 engines that dont have that problem.

Me: I am talking about the suspension and not the engine.

Executive: Suspensions are part of the engine. They change the suspension structure along with the engine specifications.

Me: Wow
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:54   #343
Senior - BHPian

After reading the first Polo 1.6 review on tbhp today i thought i should call and check the price and availability for the same here. Just for knowledge sake. Also had to check the availability for Pepper Grey 1.2 HL for a cousin. So i called the VW delaer here in Ahmedabad.

The conversation is as below. these are not the exact words, but i have put down all i remember as the conversation took place in Gujarati. there was more humour than what you read here. The showroom people dont care and they think that since Polo is selling, customer interaction can go out of the window.

What i dont get is, weather your product is selling well or selling low, customer is a customer who is there to give you business.

PART I

H : Hello, m calling to enquire on 2 things, can you hand over to the sales person

VW : Certenly sir, can i take down details

H: name, number etc etc all done

H : I want to know if Grey color is available in Polo

SA : we can commit on that once you book

H : I will book only if you commit

SA : Sorry sir, that is not possible

H : what do you mean not poss??

SA : we are selling Polo in good numbers. there is a 2.5-3 months waiting. You have to give 2 color options at booking & whichever is available first, you get that.

H : leave it. I will book Jazz or Punto.

SA : OK sir. But sir, Polo is better

PART II

Harshal: H : Ok. Do you have Polo 1.6 pricing?

SA : No sir, no info on that from company yet

H : but VW dealers already selling in other cities.

SA : Not poss.

H : i can show u pics. ( thanks to tbhp)

SA : Sir, why dont u book vento? Polo 1.6 and Vento in same range and same engine. IN Vento you get Boot space too. Also Polo 1.2 HL is a good option, it is same from inside as 1.6 HL. In 1.6 you will get less average. (Now all of a sudden he has data to compare)

H : if you dont have info on Polo 1.6 how can you compare?

SA : sir, why dont you come to showroom, we can discuss all details here.

H : Why do i need to come to showroom to discuss?

SA : But sir, giving all details on fone is not possible.

H : OK. Bye bye.

SA : OK Sir. Nice talking to you.

All in all there was no "sales" happening here. He was least interested in selling his cars. There was ZERO convincing or urge to sell. On the other hand when i spoke to Fiat delaer here, he was clear, modest & honest about the whole thing. He even offered to send the car home on a sunday so the family can have a look at.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 23rd August 2010 at 14:58.
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:00   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
After reading the first Polo 1.6 review on tbhp today i thought i should call and check the price and availability for the same here.
:
:
:
:

SA : OK Sir. Nice talking to you.
A new company in India, launching new cars - and this type of 'nawabi' behaviour!
I remember 2 hyundai dealer reps calling me back to back and bettering each others quotes for 3-4 days once I requested information from them regarding color and freebies - that too on a car like i10 (which sells like lozenges everyday in Hyundai dealerships)
Old 30th August 2010, 11:32   #345
BHPian

Not just in car dealerships, but noticed on a certain Indian car research website...

Automated Car Recommendations, Recommend me a Car - CarWale.com

Apparently CarWale.com also thinks ABS stands for Anti Braking System (ABS) (under the heading "I want these special features") ...

Most Viewed