Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 13:49   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Saaar, Spark body is made of pure steel, all other cars are made of iron!!!!
I've made a note of that one --- to try on when I sell my Swift VDI
Old 29th October 2009, 14:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Nothing, they do whatever told or designed. Other example of similar question is you are asking question to actor (who only acts in movies or serials) How CCD (Charged Coupled Devices) works? Although CCD is very much integral part of modern cameras.

Well acting and photography or videography are entirely different domain. Programming for ECU is Automotive IT Domain where he encounters bits and bytes. Where he gets certain type of inputs from sensors and he processes it and produces output in digital form. If his domain name contains Automotive it does not mean you should expect him to know all mechanical details about car OR member of Team-BHP.
I see why tooners are such a joke in India. I mean, surely, if the people who program ECUs don't know anything about engines or gearboxes or torque or BHP of the car into which his code/device goes into, surely people who do it in the aftermarket don't need to know their engine vengine.

Old 29th October 2009, 14:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
Maybe a bit tangential, MODS please delete if inappropriate.

Three or four years back, I was interviewing a candidate to join my team. The candidate was employed by Bosch, where he was working on writing the software for engine control units (ECUs) and he was looking for a change. The interview started as follows:

Me: What do you do at Bosch?
Candidate: I write software for engine control units, blah blah blah.
Me: Ok, what is the difference between power and torque?
Candidate: Uh, Ah, Hem, Haw, I don't know!

Needless to say, he did not get the job.
I would have answered the formula relating power and torque but effectively the knowledge of its significance while driving the car would have been of lower importance for a programmer.

Was he an architect & or a programmer. Won't the torque and power specs be made available in the specification document.If someone gives me a detailed design which outlines a task taking the inputs from accelerator & injects the right amount of fuel, it would be not be difficult to write a code? Sometimes we see electronically limiting the power on few cars, specs are made available and the programmer does the coding.

I work in fiber to home access product, I don know much of the optical properties of the line since I work at a level higher than the physical line. But it does not hurt to know but at the same time to get my work going I don need to currently.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:31   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Me to my mother : "Is the legroom sufficient?"
SE : Immediately takes the codrivers seat to the front most position." Saar, the leg room is good".
Quote:
Me: Is there no remote boot release?
SE : Snatches the key away from me,"Saar, its very simple just insert the key and turn it right to open the boot lid".
Classic man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
The ABS reply is so common! One guy told me that ABS is Anti Braking system! He said "isse brake thodi der se lagti hai".
I can't say I haven't heard a similar variant before.

Quote:
Being a sales man for some car company would be a dream come true if they pay well.
Would be a fun job no doubt. Team-BHPian's would be sales toppers!
Old 29th October 2009, 14:40   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is the bane of IT industry these days. They are like a jockey who doesn't want to know whether he is riding a horse or a mule, let alone stallion or gelding or a mare. The term code coolie was coined specifically for them.
This has something to do with company, service based companies are very keen on getting the work done. For example, we have product companies who manufacture pants, jeans, skirts.. Service companies would be hired for fixing buttons & collars, Is it really required to have complete knowledge of stitching?

Lets say a person wants to learn the art of stitching the whole dress as a part of idle time management. The company would not provide resource on creating that knowledge because it is not the cash cow for the time being & no one know how long the project would run.

I worked in a service based company for 5 years before moving to a product company & I can see a lot of difference.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 29th October 2009 at 14:44.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:29   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
". The Only answer we could think of was that there must be plenty of people who buy that approach!
Could'nt agree more. P.T.Barnum said - There's a sucker born every minute!
Old 29th October 2009, 15:39   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Well still this is irrelevant questioning about power and torque. Automotive IT domain does not mean he should have interest in Automobiles. ECU programming can be done with embedded knowledge and without knowing power, torque, diffrential, ergonomics etc.
Don't agree with this. I work in Banking and Financial Services domain. All of the associates in this domain are expected to know what a share or bond is.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:44   #83
BHPian

Amazing thread, could resist posting my experience here.
Took my Indigo (first gen) for servicing and inquired to their service engineer (A-One Motors, Mathura Road, Delhi)

Me: Is it possible to fit an intercooler in my Indigo, it is not fitted with one and new TDi comes with an intercooler.
Engineer: Why sir ? Is your AC not cooling enough, intercooler is just to increase the cooling of your AC

On a recent visit to Maruti Showroom to buy an Estilo
Me : What all colors/shades are available ?
Salesman: Sir, you may check the brochure and order the one you like, but what whatever color you'll choose, you have to buy it.

I requested him for atleast give me some options (in real & not in brochure) to choose from, so he brought two cars, one in beige and other in blue.
Me: This beige shade is not at all as it seems in brochure it seems more like golden.
SM: Sir, this will be definitely different (will turn brown/beige) when you'll see it in day (after you have purchased it)

Result, I have to settle with the Blue.

Last edited by Turbo Head : 29th October 2009 at 15:45.
Turbo Head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 16:05   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Amazing thread, could resist posting my experience here.
Took my Indigo (first gen) for servicing and inquired to their service engineer (A-One Motors, Mathura Road, Delhi)

Me: Is it possible to fit an intercooler in my Indigo, it is not fitted with one and new TDi comes with an intercooler.
Engineer: Why sir ? Is your AC not cooling enough, intercooler is just to increase the cooling of your AC

ha ha ha, have heard from many SA regarding intercooler, which is fitted for better AC cooling.
Old 29th October 2009, 16:30   #85
dcs
BHPian

Hi all,
I am a relatively new member on this forum and just went through this thread. I agree that a lot of us have faced stupid answers to our questions. I am not trying to advocate the salesman's side, but after working for almost an year at a Suzuki 2wheeler dealership in the capacity of a General manager, let me bring some facts to you.

1. Most of the Sales people are NOT from the Automobile Field. We would not get any IITian or a DCE graduate to work for the Agency.
2. The customers who pour in, have 10,000 different types of questions and I can bet if anyone of us can say that he can answer the dumbest to the most intelligent of the questions asked.
3. Excuse me mates, but we are on this Forum because of a Passion towards Engines, Engineering, Mechanicals. How many of us are here for just their Bread and butter.
4. Most of the Sales Person and not paid that well to have all the information. The kind of information we generally expect the Sales Guy to deliver us sometimes exceeds the knowledge level of few of the top brass at the manufacturing units. I know what I am saying and I have reasons to prove that. Ok, how will you beat this-- When I joined the Suzuki 2Wheeler dealership, an ASM from Suzuki came to visit our Dealership. After sometime, I asked him if Suzuki is coming up with any bigger Bike than a punny 150cc GS150R- He said-arey...we already have two of them, Intruder and a Hayabusa! I was speechless. If someone who, being a B.Tech, MBA and into the same profession for the last 15 years could not comprehend what I was asking, how can I expect my sales guys to answer anything better.

See, the idea here is not to provide a blanket to any one, nor is it for the fact that I perhaps am on the other side of the frnce, its just that lets understand why things happen they way they are. Most of us know how to rebuild an engine, because we have given a lot of time, efforts and a passion in learning things. How many of us, who know a lot about the GC and about the Torque and BHP and ABS and 0-100kmph specs would work for some 5-8 thousand. I for sure would not, even if Engines is what I live for.

Yes, it is good to laugh out the silly answers we get at the dealerships, but lets not try to make their life hell. Most of the info we ask and laugh on, is generally written in the brochures. Dont just try to prove that we know it better.

Otherwise, am with you in laughing on at the funnier side of life.

Ok. to end with, a small incident from my side:

Customer: What is the Valve Size of GS150R!
ME: I am sorry, but we dont have that information with us. May I know the reason why you want that information.
Customer: well, Because GS150R says XTP (Extra Torque Performance) and I want to check with the Valve size if Suzuki is making a right claim.

(to this date, I wish I can get an answer to how can anyone understand the XTP from the valve Size)

P.S: I request the moderators to let me know if I have been a bit too overboeard in defending Poor Sales People.
dcs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 16:47   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
This has something to do with company, service based companies are very keen on getting the work done. For example, we have product companies who manufacture pants, jeans, skirts.. Service companies would be hired for fixing buttons & collars, Is it really required to have complete knowledge of stitching?
They should know about collars and buttons at least. We are taking the case of salesmen who don't know what they selling. This reminds me a of technician who came to connect close circuit video camera. He didn't know difference between RF and RCA connectors, and was trying to create a cable with RCA on one side and RF on the other. I had stopped him before he spoiled a perfect good RCA cable.

The sales guys are expected to know the specifications of the item they are selling and also the pros and cons of the vehicle when compared to the rival products. Nobody expects them to understand automotive technology. However, most of them don't bother to learn that and try to bluff their way through. That is why they are the butt of jokes as in this thread.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 17:28   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
GM dealer sales guy:

Saaar, Spark body is made of pure steel, all other cars are made of iron!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I've made a note of that one --- to try on when I sell my Swift VDI
WOOPS!

I thought this referred to the SPARK PLUG!

Hey... Looks like maybe I should be selling cars! <--- at self!
Old 29th October 2009, 17:40   #88
BHPian

@dcs : Your point is well taken. However you have got to agree that some of the funnies posted are far from being related to engines, torque, hp or the like.

Last edited by NevGin : 29th October 2009 at 17:42.
Old 29th October 2009, 18:26   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Don't agree with this. I work in Banking and Financial Services domain. All of the associates in this domain are expected to know what a share or bond is.
Banking and FS are not only shares and bonds my friend ! I've been in this domain for more than a decade and still can only talk about a blip in this area.

We do not expect programmers know the domain intricacies.though it is preferred. this would never be the yardstick for his recruitment.there would be SME's who are called as Subject matter experts who would be working with the designers and architects to come up with a detailed spec which would have around 60- 70% of the code defined. and the programmers are expected to be proficient in the syntax of the tool that is currently used. This is how the indian pureplays ae able to survive with hoards of trainees.

I second that the question was not irrelevant, but jacob could have lost a good programmer who could have picked up the domain knowledge easily over a period of time. Cheers
Old 29th October 2009, 18:41   #90
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They should know about collars and buttons at least. We are taking the case of salesmen who don't know what they selling.

The sales guys are expected to know the specifications of the item they are selling and also the pros and cons of the vehicle when compared to the rival products. Nobody expects them to understand automotive technology. However, most of them don't bother to learn that and try to bluff their way through. That is why they are the butt of jokes as in this thread.
+1 on that. Its like when you start a new job you would know nothing of it. This doesnot mean that you should not learn. Learing makes oneself better and be prepared for the future. What's wrong in being honest and saying don't know rather than bluffing and making idiotic statements.

Last edited by MCR : 29th October 2009 at 18:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks