Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 11:15   #196
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
We know about numerous dealerships where the pronunciation is really below par to say the least..it is rather impossible to correct everyone. So we as tbhpians can atleast make sure none of us make any appalling pronunciation mistakes..
Audi - OU-Dee
Chevrolet - shehv-ruh-LAY
Nissan - NEE-sahn
Peugeot - poo-ZHO
Porsche - POR-shuh
Renault - reh-no
Volkswagen - VOLKS-wa-guhn

OT: the automobile industry is quite an easy one when it comes to pronunciations..just imagine the condition of the guys working in fashion..

i bet very few of us would be able to correctly pronounce haute couture, bvlgari, ermenegildo zegna, yves saint laurent, hermes, tag heuer etc
And so are the continetal food industry...Imagine all those fench wines and dishes with impossible spellings
Old 13th November 2009, 12:40   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumujumdar View Post
Me:(with a straight face) Oh, I know what this is. It is showing the temperature at the contact point between the floor and the tyres. Mercedes has this as a standard safety feature, gives a warning when the tyres overheat due to speeding.
SR nods, eyeing me suspiciously. End of discussion.
too good!

Man, I love this thread
Old 13th November 2009, 14:02   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We know about numerous dealerships where the pronunciation is really below par to say the least..it is rather impossible to correct everyone. So we as tbhpians can atleast make sure none of us make any appalling pronunciation mistakes..
Audi - OU-Dee
Nissan - NEE-sahn
Peugeot - poo-ZHO
Porsche - POR-shuh
Renault - reh-no

OT: the automobile industry is quite an easy one when it comes to pronunciations..just imagine the condition of the guys working in fashion..

i bet very few of us would be able to correctly pronounce haute couture, bvlgari, ermenegildo zegna, yves saint laurent, hermes, tag heuer etc
Small correction
Volkswagen - 'FOCKS'-wa-guhn
Old 13th November 2009, 14:20   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Audi - OU-Dee
Nissan - NEE-sahn
Peugeot - poo-ZHO
Porsche - POR-shuh
Renault - reh-no
You're incorrect in assuming that everyone in this world, or even on TBHP speaks with the same accent, twang and what not. There are subtle differences even amongst someone from the East Coast (NEngland, NY) and a southerner (GA, TX etc.). What might sound perfectly acceptable in one region might be an absolute faux pas in another. Another variation of the pronunciation is:
Chevrolet - Shev-roh-lay
Nissan- Niss-sun (niss like miss)
Peugeot- Puh-joe
Renault- Ruh-no
VW- Folks-wagen
Old 13th November 2009, 14:25   #200
BHPian

any one notice that most sales/service guys at our very own maruti dealerships call the Swift as "Shift"???? initially i wondered if it was a new model secretly launched by Maruti!!!
Old 13th November 2009, 14:29   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjames View Post
any one notice that most sales/service guys at our very own maruti dealerships call the Swift as "Shift"???? initially i wondered if it was a new model secretly launched by Maruti!!!
ha ha ha indeed yes some of them does call swift as shift but havent came across any yet but surely possible of hearing this.
Old 13th November 2009, 14:56   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
You're incorrect in assuming that everyone in this world, or even on TBHP speaks with the same accent, twang and what not. There are subtle differences even amongst someone from the East Coast (NEngland, NY) and a southerner (GA, TX etc.). What might sound perfectly acceptable in one region might be an absolute faux pas in another. Another variation of the pronunciation is:
Chevrolet - Shev-roh-lay
Peugeot- Puh-joe
Renault- Ruh-no
VW- Folks-wagen
Wouldn't comment on correct pronunciations but here are few I found way off:

Scorpio : Iscaarpio / Ishcarpio
Manza : Maan Ja
Swift : Shwift / Shift
Alto : ulto
Accent : A-cent

BTW, Loved it when Ranbir Kapoor says Ferrari (FAWWWARI) in APKGK
Old 13th November 2009, 17:05   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Chevrolet - Shev-roh-lay
Peugeot- Puh-joe
Renault- Ruh-no
VW- Folks-wagen
Perhaps many people pronounce it as Shevarlet
Old 13th November 2009, 17:22   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Perhaps many people pronounce it as Shevarlet
i know people who call

chevrolet as che-vro-let
Peugeot as pee-got
Xylo as jai-lo

fiesta as fis-ta
Old 13th November 2009, 17:50   #205
BHPian

@ a TATA dealer in Chennai.

Wanted to TD a Vista TDi and also a quote. We get talking and he pushed for quadrajet, typical "'shift' engine sir" talking. I said no, this is for a relative from a village and was on a very tight budget. Then gives me a quote. Then, here goes...

ME: "I want to the TD car"
SM: "Its TDi sar."
ME : "Yes, TD for a TDi"
SM: "What sir"
ME: "I want a TD"
SM: "Yes sir, TDi engine sir, I have given you quote"
ME: "Test Drive"
SM: "ok,ok, Trail!"
At last he dint give me a TD on a TDi, gave a Saphire and said,
"Same dynamics sir, diesel will be have more noise and vibration thats all"

I dont blame him, i enquired about his qualification, he said 'BBA'. Most of SM/SW are not from a technical background. True, they can learn about the car, its their job one may argue, but look at TATA they have so many products and so much variants in them, the SM/SW wont be able to learn unless they are car enthusiast.
Old 13th November 2009, 21:35   #206
Senior - BHPian

Seriously?!

If they can't learn five sheets of statistics, I wonder how they get their BBA done.
Old 13th November 2009, 22:29   #207
BANNED

Extremely OT, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
but look at TATA they have so many products and so much variants in them, the SM/SW wont be able to learn unless they are car enthusiast.

Indica vista - 2 engines, 3 variants each = 6
Indica(b) = (petrol discontinued) 1 engine, 3 variants = 3
Indigo CS
Indigo
Indigo XL

6 cars, 3 variants with 2 engines each = 36 variants.

(not sure of number of variants for the last 3).

Now, compare this with MSIL.

M800 - 2 variants.

3 variants each of

-Alto
-Zen Estillo
-A Star
-WagonR
-Ritz
-Swift - (2 engines)
-Swift Dzire (2 engines)
-SX4
-Omni
-Versa

7 cars, 3 versions of each = 21; add AT and LPG version of Wagon R. Add diesel versions of Swift and Dzire.

Add SX4, Omni and Versa to the picture.

Actually, MSIL and Tata are neck to neck in this respect.

And I have left out the bigger SUVs (sumo, Safari, Gypsy Grand Vitara etc) and Fiat @ Tata dealership, which is handled by separate individuals.

I believe that life is much simpler for Tata sales people - it is simply a case of mix and match for most components (engine, tyre sizes etc). Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 15th November 2009, 14:19   #208
BHPian

Guys, I was surfing channels today and found 'Overdrive' being broadcast on CNBC awazz, they were doing a comparo between the Swift and the Vista disels, the guy coolly explains the safety features - Both cars have ABS-'Anti Braking System' !!! Its disgusting to know even Overdrive does mistakes like this

Last edited by pusako : 15th November 2009 at 14:21.
Old 15th November 2009, 14:50   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako View Post
Guys, I was surfing channels today and found 'Overdrive' being broadcast on CNBC awazz, they were doing a comparo between the Swift and the Vista disels, the guy coolly explains the safety features - Both cars have ABS-'Anti Braking System' !!! Its disgusting to know even Overdrive does mistakes like this
its worse than you think. the vista doesn't have ABS
And You have better luck of seeing the yeti than an ABS Swift!

maybe thats why he said Anti Braking system :P
Old 16th November 2009, 19:48   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Extremely OT, but...
Indica vista - 2 engines, 3 variants each = 6
Indica(b) = (petrol discontinued) 1 engine, 3 variants = 3
Indigo CS
Indigo
Indigo XL

6 cars, 3 variants with 2 engines each = 36 variants.

(not sure of number of variants for the last 3).

I believe that life is much simpler for Tata sales people - it is simply a case of mix and match for most components (engine, tyre sizes etc). Correct me if I am wrong.
Indica Vista has three engine options: TDi (Diesel), Quadrajet (Diesel) and Safire (Petrol). TDi has 2 variants while QJet and Safire have three each, a total of 8. Add to it Limited edition on Qjet and Safire. Total 10.

Indica Xeta (Petrol) has not been discontinued and is very much on sale even today with 4 variants + 2 LPG variant. A total of 6.

Indica Diesel, though reduced in number of variants, still has 4 variants.

Indigo CS has three engine options: TDi (3 variants), MPFi (3 Variants), DiCOR (2 Variants). Total 8

Indigo stands discontinued as of today.

Indigo Marina comes in 3 Engines: TDi (2 variants), DiCOR(2 Variants), MPFi (3 Variants). Total 7.

Indigo xL also comes in 3 Engines: DiCOR (2 variants), Petrol (2 Variants), TDi (One Variant). Total 5.

Indigo Manza comes with 2 engine options with 4 variants each. Total 8.

Nano comes in single engine with 3 variants

That makes a total of 51 variants give or take 2-3 variants. So we are looking at about 50+ variants of cars in Tata with only three major classifications, Indica, Indigo, Nano. and this is just Cars. Also I have totally discounted the fact that Indica Diesel and Nano variants come in both BSII and BSIII specifications which would add another 10 variants if not more.

So, I do not think TATA salesman have it easy.

But, that is not the point. If a person has got a Job, he should very well do it and do it well. Secondly, I am sure the aim of this thread was to take light hearted view of employment in automobile industry much on the lines of 'geeky' Software engineers and 'corrupt' government officers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks