Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Small correction
Volkswagen - 'FOCKS'-wa-guhn
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
VW- Folks-wagen
I don't know much about cars and would probably say something quite as stupid as you guys are laughing about BUT--

Actually khan75 is spot on. It is neither pronounced as volks nor focks.

It is folks (similar to folks, but one must also pronounce the L clearly) and vaagen (with a V sound instead of a W)

folks-vaagen.

And anyone else is not right or wrong, even though this is a common adjective+noun (People's car in German) it has become a proper noun now -- so go for it any way you like.
Old 10th February 2010, 02:09   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And anyone else is not right or wrong, even though this is a common adjective+noun (People's car in German) it has become a proper noun now -- so go for it any way you like.
+1 Completely agree with you there.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:02   #228
Team-BHP Support

LOL.

However, the fact is that not all car salesmen are car enthusiasts -- the same way as all washing machine salesmen are not washing enthusiasts.

Its just another job. And quite frankly, i think if you were actually a car enthusiast and hard to work day after day in a honda showroom....you'd go a little bonkers dealing with the average buyers!

cya
R
Old 10th February 2010, 10:58   #229
BHPian

Me and my friend had a shock when we went to a used car dealer for test driving an Optra. The guy was telling:

"saar Optra is very comfortable car.. better than Benz.. Chevrolet saar.. American car."

What to reply to him? Me and my friend just looked at each other's face.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:29   #230
BHPian

During my last visit to Modi Hyundai at Thane,service advisor told me on noise coming from alternator belt

Sir, your alternator belt is worn out, that is why this noise is coming. I advise you to apply grease on inner side of the belt and pullley. this will reduce friction between belt and the pulley and stop the noise.
Old 10th February 2010, 18:49   #231
BHPian

I have to say that THIS is an awesome thread. Had a good time reading through it.
Reading all these idiotic statements by the sales people, i couldnt control myself laughing and my wife came checking on me what i was upto. Even she had a good time going through the thread.
I hope the sales people just stick to the facts and for anything else they do check the brochures or manuals, rather than blabbering something to impress the customers. As for serious customers i would say only one thing, just listen to the car. The car can talk volumes about itself if you decide to spend some quality time with it.
Old 10th February 2010, 19:05   #232
BHPian

Had been to Friendly motors Mysore on Saturday. Its a Maruti Suzuki dealership. Went there to enquire about Ritz.

Me: Want to check out the Ritz. What are the on road prices. Are there any offers.
Salesman: Which variant are you looking for?
Me: Zxi. Always Zxi.
Salesman: Sir, why do you want to pay so much more for Zxi. You can buy Vxi. Its only 5 lacs on road. Why do you want to go for Zxi.
Me: ABS, Airbags, Reverse wiper and defogger, bigger tyres, Alloys etc etc...
Salesman: Sir, you won't need those safety devices. What speed do you drive?
Me: Shocked !!!! About 80-100.
Salesman: You won't need those for such speeds sir. Its needed only for 200+ speeds sir.

By this time, another salesman had joined him and were arguing with me about the benefits of Zxi and safety features vis.viz Vxi and price!

Finally, i told them that no way will i buy a Vxi. And even if i buy a Zxi, i will not buy it from them!!

May be there had to meet their quota of Vxi for the month!
Old 10th February 2010, 21:20   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Had been to Friendly motors Mysore on Saturday. Its a Maruti Suzuki dealership. Went there to enquire about Ritz.

Me: Want to check out the Ritz. What are the on road prices. Are there any offers.
Salesman: Which variant are you looking for?
Me: Zxi. Always Zxi.
Salesman: Sir, why do you want to pay so much more for Zxi. You can buy Vxi. Its only 5 lacs on road. Why do you want to go for Zxi.
Me: ABS, Airbags, Reverse wiper and defogger, bigger tyres, Alloys etc etc...
Salesman: Sir, you won't need those safety devices. What speed do you drive?
Me: Shocked !!!! About 80-100.
Salesman: You won't need those for such speeds sir. Its needed only for 200+ speeds sir.

By this time, another salesman had joined him and were arguing with me about the benefits of Zxi and safety features vis.viz Vxi and price!

Finally, i told them that no way will i buy a Vxi. And even if i buy a Zxi, i will not buy it from them!!

May be there had to meet their quota of Vxi for the month!

Some one in teambhp posted that the salesman tried to DOWNSELL him a swift LDI from a dzire VDI !!
Old 11th February 2010, 06:57   #234
BHPian

Hey something really off topic but worth mentioning:

I was looking to buy a camcorder and after checking out Sony (the obvious choice for Indian buyers) I went to Panasonic and checked theirs.

I liked the Panasonic more but it did not have 5.1 surround sound recording which the Sony had. After mentioning this to the SE he replied: 'Sir, 5.1 is not good for the picture quality!"
I was like, OMG but somehow managed to keep a serious face. Then I also mentioned 'You don't have HD cams right?"

His reply: Sir, we don't have any use of HD in India till 2014!

There is one more experience of Panasonic regarding their LCDs but I guess this much off topic is enough for now
Old 8th March 2010, 12:34   #235
BHPian

In German language 'V' is pronounced as "Fo" and "W" is pronounced as "we" hence they actually Call it as "Fo We".

I am quite used to it since i work on VW projects in Automotive domain and been to the Design centers in Germany.
But it was quite tricky for me in the begining but once you learn German it comes naturally.
Old 9th March 2010, 22:34   #236
BHPian

The best I had been given by a rep in 2007 while buying the Pajero and I still remember his statement and roll on the floor....

Me: Do you recommend I go for a 4x2 or a 4x4?
Rep: Sir go for the 4x4 because the engine is attached to all wheels!!!
Old 10th March 2010, 01:48   #237
BHPian

Well at the Tata motors showroom in Chennai: "the Manza is better than the linea because it has a fiat engine"
acidkill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2010, 10:21   #238
Senior - BHPian

At auto show in mumbai, the ford figo was on display. Me & my friend sat in it & asked the salesman a few queries-

Friend: why is the bonnet release lever on the left hand side near the passenger's feet?

SM: its a safety device sir.

Friend: how?

SM: If your car breaks down in a express highway & you open the driver door to access the bonnet release, a speeding car can hit you on the driver's side. so, the passenger side is safer!!!!!!

Me: Even before buying the car, he is talking about break downs!

Friend: Why doesnt the top end variant come with power windows at the rear?

SM: again a safety feature sir. if the power windows stops functioning, you can roll down your rear windows manually!

Me: are all fords built for only breakdowns or defects?
Old 10th March 2010, 10:25   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
At auto show in mumbai, the ford figo was on display. Me & my friend sat in it & asked the salesman a few queries-

Friend: why is the bonnet release lever on the left hand side near the passenger's feet?

SM: its a safety device sir.

Friend: how?

SM: If your car breaks down in a express highway & you open the driver door to access the bonnet release, a speeding car can hit you on the driver's side. so, the passenger side is safer!!!!!!

Me: Even before buying the car, he is talking about break downs!

Friend: Why doesnt the top end variant come with power windows at the rear?

SM: again a safety feature sir. if the power windows stops functioning, you can roll down your rear windows manually!

Me: are all fords built for only breakdowns or defects?
Ford, you just lost a customer.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:34   #240
BHPian

I was scouting for the beat. the new Trident show room in Bangalore for chevy had opened recently then. The sales rep gave thespec of the Spark with the 3 year service package for the Beat. I was like ' Are you sure..? the other showroom is not mentioning any freebies for the Beat..!' he was like 'I am Positive!' I then confirmed the non existance of the same with his manager..!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks