Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 18:41   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
In German language 'V' is pronounced as "Fo" and "W" is pronounced as "we" hence they actually Call it as "Fo We".
A small correction there. The letter 'V' is not "Fo" in German, but "Fau", with a stressed "F" sound. So, "VW" is "Fau We" (where e = a in English(like Fau Way)). But in Volkswagen, the pronunciation is "Folks Wagen" as somebody already mentioned. In German, you read what you actually write, unlike French.

But then again, it's not easy for people from one region to correctly pronounce the names from some other region. Just listen to the passenger calls of Indian names in FRA Airport

Last edited by A350XWB : 11th March 2010 at 18:51.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:38   #257
BHPian

At the Royal Enfield showroom in Rajajinagar (Blr) yesterday:

Me: Is it true that the Classic 500 has some issues because of the absence of an oxygen sensor?
Enthusiastic salesman: Oh no no.
Me: But I've heard that it runs too rich and messes up the compression.
ES: Not really....
Me: Hmmmm........
ES (pointing at the new UCE Electra): But this bike has an oxygen sensor.
Me:
Old 12th March 2010, 14:59   #258
BHPian

Royal Enfield..

I happened to go to the Royal enfiel showroom at Besant nagar, Chennai few months back.

Think the sales guy does not have much knowledge of other bikes..

He called my Yezdi an Old model Bullet....

He even tried convincing 2 stroke Bullets existed...

Am enjoying this therad....
Old 12th March 2010, 15:39   #259
Senior - BHPian

Two Incidents

Hi Everybody,

I narrating two buying experiences that I've had:

The first was in the year 2006, when I was comparing Honda City ZX and Hyundai Getz. I had a wonderful test drive of the Honda, the salesperson was on time, explained the features and gave me some genuine advice.
The Hyundai Getz test drive was on the following day and I'd scheduled it at 1745hrs.

I got a call at 1730: "Sir, where are you? I've been waiting for you for half an hour!" - as if I'm the one who told him to do so.

I walked to the car. The car was dented, clearly indicating what a customer meant to them.

Sales person (SP): Sir, you can take the test drive.

Me: Could we please go to a quiet road, as I'm not used to driving in such busy street (I'd just come to India and was not used to the Indian conditions).

SP: There is no quiet place, sir, just drive.

Me: How would you rate the Getz with other cars in the same price range, in terms of durability, quality etc?

SP: it depends on how you drive, sir.

Me: Honda City offers better fuel economy, though the engine capacity is quite similar (from what I've been told by both SPs).
SP: Sir that they will all say sir.

At the end of the test drive: Sir, if you book the car today, I shall give you 20K discount, free music system, mats etc. (how does he expect me to book the car (on lease) at 1900hrs?).
I requested for the quote on top end model of the Getz and the SP replied," Sir you please take the GLS, we dont have the GLX in stock, sir"

I clearly went for a Honda City!

I made an enquiry with Dakshin Honda, last week for a Honda Civic, whether or not its BSIV compliant, if not, what's on their road map. The sales person replied, "Sir, why are you looking for a Honda Civic, why don't you look at the City, Sir?"

During the Xylo test-drive: how would you compare the xylo and Innova?

SP: Innova production is going to be stopped, sir! - wonder where he go the information from... which even Toyota seems not aware of!

Fortunately for me, this time Toyota seems to have made the good impression!
Old 12th March 2010, 18:56   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The first was in the year 2006, when I was comparing Honda City ZX and Hyundai Getz. I had a wonderful test drive of the Honda, the salesperson was on time, explained the features and gave me some genuine advice.
The Hyundai Getz test drive was on the following day and I'd scheduled it at 1745hrs.

I got a call at 1730: "Sir, where are you? I've been waiting for you for half an hour!" - as if I'm the one who told him to do so.
you should have said- thanks buddy, you made my day!

Quote:
During the Xylo test-drive: how would you compare the xylo and Innova?

SP: Innova production is going to be stopped, sir! - wonder where he go the information from... which even Toyota seems not aware of!

Fortunately for me, this time Toyota seems to have made the good impression!
that was his wish which accidentally slipped out of his mind!
Old 12th March 2010, 19:15   #261
Senior - BHPian

Another interesting fact with the sales people is that they keep saying, "Yes Sir," to everything you say.

When one expresses interest on the top-end model, they would speak highly of it but when you change your interest to the lower-end model, they would speak highly of that model while disgracing the top-end model.

Sentences like, "Sir the only differences are simple cosmetic changes" - as if ABS, Climate control, HIDs etc are "simple cosmetic" changes.
Old 13th March 2010, 19:00   #262
BHPian

I20 sales person

I went in to take a test drive of I20 petrol. First I checked out the car which was for display. I asked if they have fully loaded (ASTA) for display, he said no. I asked him the quotation for Asta petrol and he gave the same. After checking the display car, I said I want to take a TD, so he brought some form, filled it up for a gate pass and took me to the car. I fired the engine, the engine at idle sounded loud for a petrol, and asked him, hey are you sure it is petrol? he says no sir it is diesel !!!!! but it is Asta the one which you wanted to see !!!!!

ya I wanted to see Asta, but wanted to drive a petrol and not a diesel. And shockingly he says "sir it is the same, you wont feel a difference" !!!!!!
Old 17th March 2010, 01:06   #263
BHPian

Wonder what our "smart" salesman would do if they had to sell he Porsche in India.

Not that they would, but for the sole purpose of having a laugh(not mocking), lets assume they would.

As it is they wouldnt be able to get the name right, but imagine the confusion if they had to explain the 911 range.

And imagine one of not so smart salesman trying to sell a Lancer Evo X, with its active central Differential or the Nissan GTR.
Old 17th March 2010, 01:10   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder what our "smart" salesman would do if they had to sell he Porsche in India.
Lets make it a multi-brand dealer, and lets assume that, as always, salesmen have certain given targets to meet...

"Sir! This Indica will also get you to your office. Why waste your money, Sir? Also available in White, Sir!"

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th March 2010 at 01:11.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:52   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"Sir! This Indica will also get you to your office. Why waste your money, Sir? Also available in White, Sir!"
ROTFL This is what is happening to FIAT due to its JV with TATA.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:33   #266
BHPian

Here goes my 5 cents..

Place: Second service for my Scorpio at TVS service centre, cochin

background:We had problems with the remote locking and the back door ( 5th door ) from day one. If i unlock using remote and open only the rear door, after sometime the vehicle gets automatically locked!! Also if the that door is open and i try to remote-lock it, it won't beep indicating that a door is open.. I guessed that there is an issue with that door's sensor for remote locking but forgot to mention it during first service.

ok, so i told the service guy that I have this problem during my second service, but this guy says, "Sir, that's how it is in Scorpio".

I didn't believe him, so he took me to another vehicle that was there for service and demonstrated it.. its the same as in mine.. i still didn't believe, so he showed it in one more scorpio

By now, i was about to give up all my hope, when this guy confidently took me to a third scorpio to show this.. and alas, this one does not have the problem.. Now he was shocked to learn something from me with a wide grin

Finally the engineer/mechanic came and diagnosed the problem to be the sensor of that door

Last edited by bblost : 17th March 2010 at 14:56. Reason: Smileys are restricted to 2 per post. Thanks.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:04   #267
BHPian

love this thread

I remember one instance when Maruti was about to launch the Swift
I went to a Maruti dealer to enquire about it
the salesperson there was ready to swear on his reputation and what not, that Maruti will never launch a diesel car
also there is no chance of getting engines from fiat
his reasoning was Maruti makes better engines and fiat only produces taxis for mumbai

as they say "The rest is history"

hope he is reading this
Old 17th March 2010, 15:23   #268
BANNED

Had a Corolla TD yesterday. First the chap claimed that BS-IV has not been notified. Called up his manager - still the same reply. I asked him then why is MS withdrawing M800 in 13 cities. Knew this was true, but gave no explanation.

They are Toyota dealers in Agra, Kanpur and Lucknow. The first two are slated for BS-IV on all fools day!
Old 17th March 2010, 16:05   #269
BHPian

Skoda service people added some green coolant stuff in the skoda octavia instead of G12 red coolant. When I enquired about it, the service incharge told me that when the engine heats up the coolant will turn red automatically I had to change the entire coolant after that. That is differnent story.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:10   #270
Senior - BHPian

Once a Hyundai salesman told me the Verna had 235kgm of torque.
Thats almost 2330nm (1080nm more than the Veyron)!!! Hahah

And one Honda salesman thought "VTEC" stood for V-Engine Technology. LOL

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 17th March 2010 at 16:11.

Most Viewed