Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 23:26   #511

Re: Comedy of Errors at Indian Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by carheadbanger View Post

Me: "How long should i have to wait to get the delivery of Swift Vdi, if i book it now."
Sales guy: "Unlimited days."
Me:
Chandigarh has the same story. Rather then fooling costumers to deliver it within 3-5 months now they have resorted to and i quote " Saar it is a great car the best there ever has been so you will have to wait until the one arrives for you". 'The one' really am i waiting for a car or a soul mate .
As my friend told him is it a car or taj mahal.
gauravkcec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 00:23   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Me: "How long should i have to wait to get the delivery of Swift Vdi, if i book it now."
Sales guy: "Unlimited days."

Love that one! I wonder if they'd be prepared to wait unlimited days for their payment
Old 30th September 2012, 23:10   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened at Hyundai showroom where we had gone to book a Santro GL Plus.I was somehow not keen on a GLS so opted for GL Plus.Now the SM asked me,why not GLS? I told him I was not interested in anything extra being offered in it.Then he replies, sir that has full wheel covers, audio system,internal mirrors(IRVM) and moreover has a spoiler to control your speed and also to look good!
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:06   #514
Team-BHP Support

So I'd taken the Quanto for a short spin and a good overview yesterday and the dealership experience was fairly nice. Here (Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs) is a short write-up on my experience with the car, for those whom it may concern.

I was approached by three different sales-representatives at 3 different times. Even though I'd initially declined a test-drive that was offered to me, I went out to check out the TD car and that's when I changed my mind.

The sales-representatives were very nice and courteous the whole time when i was checking out the display car. But there were moments that made me want to bite my tongue pretty hard.

SR: Sales Rep, Me: Yours truly.

SR: "Sir the boot is very versatile, not only can you store a lot of luggage, you can seat 2 people by pulling down these seats" And he attempts to yank the seat down.

I jumped into the seat and demanded the door be closed. My upper body and shoulders caved in as the door was shut and I immediately reached for the lever to open it - a thoughtful touch! I climbed out and..

Me: "It isn't suitable for adults though. It's just too cramped."

SR: "Yes Sir it's mostly meant for children and smaller-built people."

Me: "Of course, but only if you hate them! "

SR: *Grins with difficulty* It can be used for luggage also.

Me: "Yes. Also, I'd like to know if it's safe to be sitting in these seats? A rear-end collision would prove to be worse than one may anticipate if there are people sitting there. Can Mahindra guarantee the 6th and 7th passengers' safety?"

SR: *sweating under the collar and begins to look around the boot-lid for an answer* "Sir, Stephanie will give protection!"

Me: "Who is Stephanie?" And then my warped mind began thinking of other tangible things that could be associated with 'Stephanie' and 'Protection' *grins*

SR: *frantically gesturing at the spare-wheel* "Sir, the Stephanie will prevent passengers from getting hurt!"
suhaas307 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:39   #515
BHPian

^^ Two words come to mind..!! Brilliant & Bullshit..!!

And I do not blame you for imagining "other tangible things" about 'Stephanie' and 'Protection'..!!

This bring me to a more serious (& OT) question. Can the stepny in an SUV really offer more protection in case of a rear-end collision??
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:43   #516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post

This bring me to a more serious (& OT) question. Can the stepny in an SUV really offer more protection in case of a rear-end collision??
Honestly? I think it might do even more harm than good. I even mentioned this to the SR, but he stuck to his guns. Didn't push further to make my point and left it at that.

I could be wrong about this though.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 17:35   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can the stepny in an SUV really offer more protection in case of a rear-end collision??
I guess... certainly not. It's just a great lump to get pushed into you. What an idiot salesman with his Stephanie!
Old 6th October 2012, 11:37   #518
BHPian

I test drove the Brio and asked the salesman at what speed can I expect the iVTEC to kick in. His reply?

Honda company has already included iVTEC in the engine saar!

Me (rephrasing the question): No no. At what speed would the technology be used?

SM: Saar.. it is already in the engine saar. It is always there! Right from the moment you start the engine saar!

Me: Headdesk!
msnarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 14:46   #519
BHPian

I think the SE is right.
"i-VTEC" is Honda's technology which has some other features apart from valve actuation, which starts working the moment the engine is running. I guess even the molybdenum coating on the pistons (or cylinders?) is also categorized under the i-VTEC technology.
Unlike a turbo which "kicks in" at an rpm range, i-VTEC works at any rpm depending on engine load conditions.

Edit: Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 10th October 2012 at 14:50.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 14:57   #520
BANNED

I think most people consider the iVTEC being related to the engine speed at which the aggressive cam kicks in. This as pointed out by Skyline depends on various parameters, incl. throttle position, engine rpm and so on. On my Civic it kicks in at around 3000rpm with not too aggressive driving. I really cannot be sure since in 5th on the AT this will correspond to 151 kph, a speed you cannot safely do on our roads! I generally find that if I do not stamp on the throttle it does not kick in below 3000. Of course my son with more aggressive driving gets it going at lower speeds. Of course the consumption increases, and there is a throaty snarl.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 15:09   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
I test drove the Brio and asked the salesman at what speed can I expect the iVTEC to kick in. His reply?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I think the SE is right.
"i-VTEC" is Honda's technology which has some other features apart from valve actuation, which starts working the moment the engine is running.
Edit: Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think most people consider the iVTEC being related to the engine speed at which the aggressive cam kicks in. This as pointed out by Skyline depends on various parameters, incl. throttle position, engine rpm and so on. On my Civic it kicks in at around 3000rpm with not too aggressive driving.
You can find answer to most of the questions related to iVTEC in the following thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2415950
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 16:16   #522
BHPian

Experience in Audi Jaipur

The guy was telling me about the A4 Business Class.

Me - tires?
Guy - sir, these are almost equal to the other models
Me - almost equal? dude! what is almost?

Guy looked at the tires for a while and then on the other cars

sir, this is almost similar. you can see that.

Me - never mind.. okay what about the equipment level.
Guy - sir, almost similar.
Me - are you kidding me.. if this is same then why a different model which is 3L cheaper on road?
Guy - no sir, almost similar. This is just a marketing tactic you see.

Me -
maheepgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 23:29   #523
BHPian

Hilarious statements by mechanics

Hello everyone.
Would like to share a couple of funny incidents here.
A friend of mine - Nikhil, took his WagonR to a service station for preventive maintainance. He told the mechanic working on his car to check for the source of noise from his silencer. After checking the car, the mechanic comes up to Nikhil and tells him that the silencer has rusted and the firing order of the car has changed.
Whoa!! And the engine is still running? He must have told some other customer that one of the tyre is spinning in the oppsite direction.
All my friend could do was to laugh his heart out. The mechanic stood staring with a blank face. After calming down a bit Nikhil asked him what exactly is the problem? He replied that he will check again and started to leave. Nikhil asked him again if he was going to pull down the engine of the car.

The funniest part is that Nikhil, along with me work in the automobile industry on the technical side. We had a good laugh and got into a discussion about what all would it take to change the firing order.

In another incident, one of our seniors - Mr. Akash who happens to be the 'Technical Trainer' stopped his Estilo at a petrol pump on the highway. A guy with a grease pump approached him and said he would gease the shock absorbers of the car for just 80 bucks. The suspension would be smooth after that. [Great! Where did you grease your brains from to come up with something like that?] Mr. Akash was shocked at this and asked him where exactly would he fill the grease as he was not aware of any such provision. The grease guy sensed trouble and admitted that he was doing it for earning some money as he had nothing else to do. He later actually did it on another car and pressed the car down a few times to show the owner how smooth the suspension was after the greasing was done. He would attach the tube somewhere below the car and pump it 4-5 times.

How many of us have come accross such out of the world statements by mechanics?
Tejas Ingle is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 22:09   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I guess... certainly not. It's just a great lump to get pushed into you. What an idiot salesman with his Stephanie!
I feel we should concentrate on the Mahindra, the company's idiocy in designing such a contraption with no forethought instead of SR. The SR was just selling what the company wanted him to sell (an MUV under 4M with seven seats). Full Marks to the SR for at least coming up with an answer which will convince most (except us) saying "Stephanie" will save you.
Old 4th March 2013, 22:25   #525
Senior - BHPian

A sales executive of a Ford dealership contacted me couple of days earlier based on a web inquiry made by me and today having come to know of the launch of the Figo celebration edition I called him to know more details. He was not even knowing about it and told me that some new launch will happen this month and when i told him that the LE had already been launched hung up the phone saying that he would revert back soon. Revert he did and said that the details will be known only later. P asked him that they should be dynamic enough to know things about their product.
His immediate response was that they do not have a Dynamic model.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks