Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:07   #1
BANNED

Handling changes in driving licence

Request to mods, not sure if this is the right subsection, please move it if not.

Back to the point, I moved to Bangalore from Pune a year back and almost done with the re-registration of my wheels. But my photo in license is almost faded (smart card license from pune RTO). Its not a problem here but its trouble when i drive in US (I dont use IDP since indian license is valid in NY state where i drive). But in order to get my license renewed i need to goto pune and probably submit some local address proof there which is going to be painful.

My question is, is it possible to use this MH issued license and get a renewed license in Bangalore RTO so that i can get a new license with bangalore address.
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:37   #2
BANNED

License should be easily transferable across the country. Address proof should logically be required. I think legally you must transfer within a year.

Once you find you pl. PM me as my daughter will soon need it from UP to W Bengal.
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:35   #3
BANNED

Is it illegal to have licence from two states if you keep shifting cities.
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

I transferred my license earlier but it was within the same state. hat to get an NOC from the RTO that issued it.

Reason was, needed an IDP and was easier to get it done in current city.
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:28   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Yes it is illegal to use license from 2 states (though you can have for diff types of vehicles, my 2 wheeler license is from Chennai and 4 wheeler from Pune) - more than that i dont want to go through the pain of getting a brand new license. Btw our license is valid all over India. Its just that in my case, i need to renew it and am struck with a residence change.
Old 23rd October 2009, 23:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
more than that i dont want to go through the pain of getting a brand new license. Btw our license is valid all over India. Its just that in my case, i need to renew it and am struck with a residence change.
You can get the license renewed in Bangalore without any need for taking the driving test or any process of new license. If the RTO officer is strict then he may subject you to oral test, asking you some mandatory hand signals and also some road signs and its meaning.
Here is the process.
1. Got to the RTO to which your residence address proof fall under.
2. Fill in the DL renewal form. You will find them in 2 languages. One only Kannada and another application form in Kannada and English.
3. Pay the appropriate fees. I think Rs.50 as renewal fee and Rs.250 for the plastic card. ( Not sure about the plastic card fee. Probably Rs.215 or Rs.250)
4. Along with the existing driving license (If the license is expired, you need to pay a small amount as penalty i think. Not sure. Check with RTO), submit the filled in application form. You will probably need to attach address proof.
5. Also you need to appear for a photograph in person in the RTO.
This will get you the license renewed.

As your case in an inter-state one, the RTO officer might take about 45 days to 60 days to give you the license. This duration is required to verify your previous address in you existing DL.

You can overcome all these 45 - 60 days delay if you follow the donation route. You donate some money and this duration will be cut short to 1 to 3 days.
Old 24th October 2009, 13:27   #7
BANNED

Thanks much for the information carlos. I will check it out at the RTO and post any relevant information once i get it done
Old 29th March 2010, 16:12   #8
BHPian

Hello,

Can someone point me to details of getting the address changed in the DL.
Old address is in Bangalore (BTM) and the new Address is in Bangalore too.

Its just that I was staying in a rented place and now moved into my new Home.

Can someone please help me
Old 29th March 2010, 20:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey Srikanth, could you please let us know how did the DL transfer go as even I need to do the same from Delhi to Hyderabad
Old 30th March 2010, 08:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Carlos is right; Here's the details on my license
I've my 4 & 2 wheeler driving license from Kerala with Chennai's address proof; I'd the experience of 8 & H (lucky he didn't ask 11) & a written exam. I use the driving license (DL) in Chennai for over 10 years now.
Old 30th March 2010, 09:01   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Yes it is illegal to use license from 2 states (though you can have for diff types of vehicles, my 2 wheeler license is from Chennai and 4 wheeler from Pune) - more than that i dont want to go through the pain of getting a brand new license. Btw our license is valid all over India. Its just that in my case, i need to renew it and am struck with a residence change.
All classes of vehicles have to be on the same licence. You cannot have separate ones.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guys , I lost my license booklet issued from M.P few years ago filed and FIR and then got a new License from Karnataka. Is there any step required to cancel previous one ? Is there anything wrong here.
Old 30th March 2010, 19:38   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Guys , I lost my license booklet issued from M.P few years ago filed and FIR and then got a new License from Karnataka. Is there any step required to cancel previous one ? Is there anything wrong here.
How much is "a few years"? Chances are, if anything had to go wrong, it would have by now.

To others : If you lose your licence, register an FIR and mail that across (along with a covering letter) to your issuing RTO. This will safeguard against any impostors.
Old 30th March 2010, 20:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How much is "a few years"? Chances are, if anything had to go wrong, it would have by now.

To others : If you lose your license, register an FIR and mail that across (along with a covering letter) to your issuing RTO. This will safeguard against any impostors.
What if a person has lost his license and not registered a FIR? But there is a photocopy available. Then what is the procedure? I mean when i say lost i mean the person did not realize it was lost until one day he/she started looking for it. Could you fill me in on this please? Can they get a new one issued?

Last edited by rjalihal : 30th March 2010 at 20:14. Reason: spelling errors
Old 31st March 2010, 09:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

To others : If you lose your licence, register an FIR and mail that across (along with a covering letter) to your issuing RTO. This will safeguard against any impostors.
Few years was more then 6 years now. After filing the FIR I went to local RTO in Bangalore but they turned me down that I need to go to RTO which issued the license it was simply not possible for me to take leave and go there so I asked if I can apply for new one and they told me yes.

So the question is under these circumstances do I need to take some action or simply forget about it.

I had simply no idea at that time that something more then FIR needs to be done before I read this thread.

Rating this thread a 5* as it provides a vital information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks