Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2005, 17:46   #1
BHPian

Another Suzuki that Maruti should launch :)

Its the Suzuki SX4:

http://web.channel4.com/4car/feature...i-sx4/sx4.html

Bassically its the "crossover" or mini-suv version of the Swift. I think it would sell great..and absoultely clobber the Ford Fusion's appeal to any buyers. I have to say..that lately, im very impressed by Suzuki . Also, here is Suzuki's 5 year plan:

It's unusual for a Japanese carmaker to be so frank and open about its plans, but Suzuki is an unusual company set to reinvent itself with nothing to lose. The board member for overseas marketing, Hirotaka Ono, set out the plan when 4Car was in Japan last week to test the upcoming Swift Sport and SX4, and there were no minders to check he stayed on-message. This what he told us:
In the autumn, new Grand Vitara reaches Europe. We'll also get a SWB version, and diesel power will come from Renault. This is an all-new car with a unitary body/chassis with a welded-on ladder frame beneath, as in Land Rover's Discovery.

First comes 'New B', the 'sport crossover' most likely to be called SX4. A saloon version arrives later at which point the Liana dies, but its high stance shows that, for Europe at least, Suzuki has abandoned standard saloons and mid-size hatches completely.
Swift Sport launched in summer, with a Junior World Rally version to follow in time for the 2007 JWRC.

New 'utility compact' replaces Wagon R+ with a high roof like its predecessor, and will be built in Hungary. There may well not be a Vauxhall/Opel version this time.
Swift convertible finally arrives, at facelift time half-way through the Swift model cycle. It's not designed for USA, although the next Swift range will be. "The US said no to the convertible," Ono said ruefully, "and then the dealers saw the Concept S [the first sight of the convertible] and did want it! By then it was too late. We make mistakes sometimes. We're not a sophisticated company like BMW."

New 'basic world standard' car replaces Alto. Its new 1.0-litre, three-cylinder, all-aluminium engine is able to deliver CO2 emissions of just 105g/km. Could be built in Europe or India, but it is designed for Europe. But the likelihood is India, because "It has a big capacity and we can hire staff easily. Also, by 2008 a newer-technology car will be needed in India and China, and European-type regulations will start to apply."

New SUV joins range above Grand Vitara, but will be a transverse-engined crossover car like SX4 and about the same size as a BMW 3-Series Touring. Top versions will use GM-based but Suzuki-built V6. A hybrid version using Suzuki's own technology will go on sale in the US before Europe.

Suzuki will also begin a full WRC offensive in 2008, either with the SX4 or the new SUV. A 2.0-litre turbo engine and a suitable 4x4 system are already under development. An SUV in WRC? "The WRC is not about top speed," says Ono, "but about driveability and acceleration. We can create a rally car competitive with other makes - the Ignis is [high-set], and it won the JWRC."

An 'off-road minicar' replaces Jimny. It will be more off-road-flavoured, to revive idea of Samurai and SJ models but without their crudeness.
Old 30th July 2005, 11:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

For me this looks better than Swift. Especially the rear look with wide glass panel.
Old 9th August 2005, 02:57   #3
BHPian

i think anything in india with a maruti suzuki tag will sell!!!!just due to the faith in the company and the ease of service in india!!!!
Old 9th August 2005, 10:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

This Suzuki looks very good and wish they plan to bring it here.

Last edited by sridhar24 : 9th August 2005 at 10:50.
Old 9th August 2005, 13:35   #5
BANNED

Bigger than a supermini, smaller than a Focus, the SX4 (which is built on a Swift-derived platform) has a hint of Fiat Idea about its Giugiaro-penned styling. That's more than a coincidence, because Suzuki's plant in Hungary will also make Fiat-badged versions with a different nose treatment, name as yet unconfirmed. The link with Fiat is not an obligation from the former Fiat/GM partnership, even though Suzuki is itself 20 percent GM-owned. Suzuki controls its collaborative deals itself, on a project-by-project basis; another example is the Fiat 1.3 JTD diesel engine in the Swift, an engine which Suzuki will soon build itself under licence in India.

does that look like new look Palio also from front?
Old 13th September 2005, 22:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

I just saw the ad for the new suzuki vitara that is launched in north america.It looks hot and sexy. I find this one to be worth the sticker price of 16lacs.

http://www.06grandvitara.com/
Old 14th September 2005, 01:41   #7
BHPian

Yes the new Vitara is definitely going to be a head turner in India ( not in US though , where its still not in the league).
Although I personally liked the new Vitara, I have heard ppl ( my relatives in India)say that they would much prefer the relatively conservative sytling of the current model ...

When is it coming to India ?
Old 14th September 2005, 10:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

now that is surprising.

they must have said it in contrast to other Suv's I believe.

the new SUv looks good and the two door is even more sexy.
Old 14th September 2005, 10:50   #9
BHPian

i loved the new vitara,i think they should do something for the baleno also..
Old 14th September 2005, 10:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

yeah there is a thread about the new look baleno to be introduced.

Maruti at this pace will launch the new vitara in 3-4 months it seems.
Old 14th September 2005, 10:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania
i think anything in india with a maruti suzuki tag will sell!!!!just due to the faith in the company and the ease of service in india!!!!

the current Grand Vitara proves ur statement totally false

ur statement whould be " i think anything in india with a maruti suzuki tag, PRICED SENSIBLY AND APPROPRIATELY will sell!!!!just due to the faith in the company and the ease of service in india!!!!

People have the notion of MARUTI being a cheaper company. and they wud not spend big bucks for a Maruti car! thou it may give in more features, they wud still call it a maruti, not a honda !

same goes with the new Sonata. the new sonata, i feel is a much better car than the Accord, but generally ppl have this in mind taht "Hyundai" is not a premium brand, and they would rather buy a Honda Accord, while the new Sonata is lot better in its styling, exterior looks, and its performance compared to the Honda Accord
Old 14th September 2005, 10:58   #12
BHPian

about the current Suzuki Crossover vehilcle mentioned in this topic, i read in the Overdrive they might get it to India. Maybe this is the rs.7lk SUV that Maruti Suzuki is planning to launch,

to me, it looks okish, nothing exciting about it. The new grand Vitara does look appealing.
Old 14th September 2005, 11:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

nono u are getting confused. this vitara is to replace the current vitara.

the current vitara is not selling well coz of two reasons.

1. Not many people in INdia have such money. those who have dony usually buy an SUv.
2. there are many better products like the CR-v and endeavour and tucson and forester that are much cheaper. even the safari and scorpio as competition.

I think the new safari at 14lacs may sell well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks