Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:54   #136
BHPian

I think the next episode of Car & Bike this week they are going to show the review of the new SX4.
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:30   #137
BHPian

Shreeps, any reason you don't have Fiesta on your list of probables?
Old 4th November 2009, 10:00   #138
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Hmm - a mixed bag of comments from the members I see.
Looking to buy a sedan and have shortlisted

SX4
Linea
Manza

Would have liked to consider the City but I just don't think paying 2 lakhs extra over the sx4 is worth the H badge.

Waiting to see if any of the mods take a test drive/review and give their comments.
My recomendation to you:

1) For rear seat and boot space - Manza 1, Linea 2.
2) For snob value, and corporate esteem - Linea 1.
3) Only for Auto and nothing else - 1) SX4 - but then pls pay the 2l extra and go for the city itself.
4) Drivers car (Manual) - Fiesta - not on your list. - SXI is the model I recommend.
5) For ticking all the features on the list - Linea.
6) Best value for money - 1) Manza - 2) Linea
Old 4th November 2009, 18:24   #139
BHPian

@ shreeps go for sx4. It's clearly best of the lot. Think of nightmare treatment at tata showrooms for Manza and Linea.
Old 4th November 2009, 23:02   #140
BHPian

SX4 Sep 2009 FE on CNG

I just clocked 175 KM on 8.5KG of CNG, out of which it ran 6 KM on petrol.
As I run my car for 2 KM every day before switching to CNG.
And it was city driving between Delhi Noida Gurgoan.

I am still not going beyond 80KM/Hr

This is a pretty good FE of around 20KM per KG of CNG.

I am loving it...
Old 5th November 2009, 09:11   #141
BHPian

I had called the new SX4 ZXi MT for a TD on Sunday last. The time slotted was later in the afternoon but then the dealer called to say that he would like to come earlier as there were many requests for a TD on Sunday. So the vehicle came around 1 PM. I had specifically requested the White colour which was what I was interested in (although I have asked him to let me know as soon as he gets the new blue shade for a final decision). And its a beautiful car.

Please understand that I am not a nuts and bolts man, and was looking more for the "feel" of the vehicle. The theoretical aspects are known anyway. Let me also add that one of my neighbours has the 2007 SX4 ZXi and he was too keen to come for the TD. Besides, I had one more friend, and two personnel from the dealer, so it was 5 people in all.

Lets just start by saying that it was a pleasure to drive. The engine started perfectly, and I took off. Normally, when you climb behind the steering of a new car, you have to adjust to the realease of the clutch etc. It didn't happen. It was as if I was driving it since forever. Obviously the TD was carried out within city limits and so there were obvious constraints regarding top speed check etc. Lets see one by one, and I am placing the impressions in the context of some of the criticism that has come forth in many posts for the previous version:

1. The sound of the engine was not any bother at all. In fact I asked my neighbour to compare the sound and he said its better/lower in the new one. I have driven the ANHC as well, and certainly, SX4 is not as quiet as the ANHC, but I personally like the steady drone of a powerful engine.

2. The pickup was great, in as much as can be tested under city conditions. I revved up the engine to around 3.5K rpm, and crossed the 100 kmph mark. The car held steady, there were no vibrations in the steering. Actually it was fun to drive.

3. The steering as I have read in many previous posts has been considered heavy at low speeds in the old SX4. I did not find that in the new SX4. The steering responded very well, and was also light. My wife too took a short spin after my return home and she exclaimed, even I can drive this, its not heavy at all (not a very welcome proposition!!).

4. The gear shift was smooth but a little on the tough side. Guess it would turn softer with use.

5. I did not feel handicapped with the A-frame related blind spot on the right side, at least not in the TD.

6. The rear view while driving forward was absolutely ok since the rear seat head rests are now much smaller and better contoured, but yes while reversing, one would have to get used to the restricted view since the tail is lifted up, or get parking sensors installed.

7. The back of the rear seat centre has improved considerably, but the hump remains. Of the three people sitting at the back, my friend occupied the middle, and when I asked how he felt, he remarked, toungue-in-cheek, that it was fine, but if he sat long enough he would be cured of spinal problems if he had any.

8. The interiors were decent enough for a 7.5 lac car, and the owner of the previous model commented that they had improved the look and the feel of the plastics.

9. The automatic climate control worked well, and made the car comfortable.

10. The sound system too was fair enough, no great shakes, but good.

A last word, from the owner of the previous version who accompanied me on the TD. He said, "bas le lo aap, its a wonderful car".

I am inclined to agree.
Old 5th November 2009, 09:45   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvvictor View Post
@ shreeps go for sx4. It's clearly best of the lot. Think of nightmare treatment at tata showrooms for Manza and Linea.
When I went to Concorde for Linea, the pre-sales experience itself was a major turn off. Maruti experience was very pleasant and that influenced me a lot to go for SX4.
Old 6th November 2009, 14:57   #143
BHPian

New Maruti SX4 - First Hand Impression

I was just checking the new SX4 ZXi in Mandovi today. Overall the car looks pretty bulky but proportionate. The TD vehicle was yet not available. Apart from the regular features here are some of my observations, for those who are looking at buying this Macho Machine:

Pros:

1. New M-series VVT Engine which is BS IV compliant.
2. ARAI mileage claimed - 15.5 kmpl
3. Honey comb grill looks much better
4. Contrary to various opinions here on the rear visibility from inner rear view mirror, I found it is quite adequate. (Many people here have mentioned it is almist nil which is not true - I am 5'6")
5. The A-Pillar has a bigger triangular openings which actually helps the right turn and it is not so true that A-Pillar blocks the visibility. (Only static observation as of now. Will post the actual once I take a TD next week).
6. Ingress and Egress is quite good; steering will not hit your thigh.
7. Blower sound in the highest position is much lesser compared to Verna and Fiesta. (Could not test the AC as they did not allow to crank the engine)
8. With my comfortable driver seat postion there was adequate leg space in the rear.
9. There are additional sub-fendors (i am not sure what they call it) below the fendors (something similar to what they have put in Corola Altis Sport) which overally wrap the vehicle all along.
10. Front seats are quite wide

What could have been better:

1. It does not have a cup holder in the rear armset
2. There is a bottle holder in each door but can accommodate till 750 ml bottle.
3. There is no Bluetooth Connectivity, though steering mounted audio control is there.
4. There is no MID (Distance to Empty, average mileage etc.)
5. There is no Glove Box Lamp
6. Stock Music Player sound is average
7. The Auto Climate System should show the temperature digitally.

Overally, I feel, a good package at 8.88 L OTR Bangalore with BS IV engine.
More after TD soon. Keep watching this space.
Old 7th November 2009, 11:51   #144
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice first impressions. While the vvt engine, no doubt, will be an improvement, the real value-add that the new SX4 brings to the segment is the automatic transmission. The only other petrol AT sedan is the ANHC that is priced higher. The SX4 AT makes a compelling case for itself to those looking at convenient city driving.
Old 7th November 2009, 11:56   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice first impressions. While the vvt engine, no doubt, will be an improvement, the real value-add that the new SX4 brings to the segment is the automatic transmission. The only other petrol AT sedan is the ANHC that is priced higher. The SX4 AT makes a compelling case for itself to those looking at convenient city driving.
While the AT is an added bonus to the new VVT engine, I am looking forward to compare the 4 speed slush box of the SX4 to the 5 speed one of the ANHC. I'm hoping Maruti has got it right this time.

EDIT :

ZXi AT - 9,25,906 lakhs OTR Mumbai
ZXi (leather) AT - 9,62,600 OTR Mumbai

I like the pricing.

Last edited by Dippy : 7th November 2009 at 12:18.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:02   #146
BHPian

hey guys i dunno about auto boxes. can some explain does 4 gear auto box is less fuel efficient than 5 or what!!? i mean how does one go by differentiating them? even corolla has 4 gear autobox.but its said to be more fuel efficent! the 4 gear stuff. plz explain!!
Old 8th November 2009, 00:21   #147
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^^^

The 4 speed AT has only the 4th gear as a overdrive gear, while the 5 speed AT has 4 th and 5th gear as overdrive (AFAIK). This means high speed cruising in a 5 speed AT should cost less engine power and thus less fuel. Also, the gear ratios may also be remapped to get fast acceleration. Guess I have only touched the tip - knowledgeable people might be able to give better insight.
Old 8th November 2009, 08:23   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
I was just checking the new SX4 ZXi in Mandovi today. Overall the car looks pretty bulky but proportionate. The TD vehicle was yet not available. Apart from the regular features here are some of my observations, for those who are looking at buying this Macho Machine:

Pros:

1. New M-series VVT Engine which is BS IV compliant.
2. ARAI mileage claimed - 15.5 kmpl
3. Honey comb grill looks much better
4. Contrary to various opinions here on the rear visibility from inner rear view mirror, I found it is quite adequate. (Many people here have mentioned it is almist nil which is not true - I am 5'6")
5. The A-Pillar has a bigger triangular openings which actually helps the right turn and it is not so true that A-Pillar blocks the visibility. (Only static observation as of now. Will post the actual once I take a TD next week).
6. Ingress and Egress is quite good; steering will not hit your thigh.
7. Blower sound in the highest position is much lesser compared to Verna and Fiesta. (Could not test the AC as they did not allow to crank the engine)
8. With my comfortable driver seat postion there was adequate leg space in the rear.
9. There are additional sub-fendors (i am not sure what they call it) below the fendors (something similar to what they have put in Corola Altis Sport) which overally wrap the vehicle all along.
10. Front seats are quite wide

What could have been better:

1. It does not have a cup holder in the rear armset
2. There is a bottle holder in each door but can accommodate till 750 ml bottle.
3. There is no Bluetooth Connectivity, though steering mounted audio control is there.
4. There is no MID (Distance to Empty, average mileage etc.)
5. There is no Glove Box Lamp
6. Stock Music Player sound is average
7. The Auto Climate System should show the temperature digitally.

Overally, I feel, a good package at 8.88 L OTR Bangalore with BS IV engine.
More after TD soon. Keep watching this space.
I think its high time we get those electronic stuff as default in any car with is 7 lac up when we have hatches/sedans at 5lac giving it for free. Hope they dont have to reincarnate this car to add these to help sales. Men will feel better in cars with more stuff at a better price IMHO.

s

sza
Old 8th November 2009, 08:35   #149
BHPian

The Dealer in the city has not yet got the Oyster Blue SX4. Has anyone seen it? Any pictures?
Old 8th November 2009, 17:10   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
^^^^^^^

The 4 speed AT has only the 4th gear as a overdrive gear, while the 5 speed AT has 4 th and 5th gear as overdrive (AFAIK). This means high speed cruising in a 5 speed AT should cost less engine power and thus less fuel. Also, the gear ratios may also be remapped to get fast acceleration. Guess I have only touched the tip - knowledgeable people might be able to give better insight.
thanks for the info. i agree, logically 5 speed have 2 overdrive gears. so its more suitable for highway cruising. may be they play around with gear ratios. i don't know technical stuff is heavy

BTW: i wonder how the french eclair color would look on the SX4. its looks similar to the bakers chocolate on the Ritz! never seen one for real. if you guys have any pics it would be wonderful. boy oh boy maruti never sounded this yummy!! baker chocolate, french eclair, i wonder if they have dazzling dairy milk next!! just a silly thought

Last edited by Caramelo : 8th November 2009 at 17:12.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks