Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:24   #61
BHPian

Tata's Xover to be on show at Auto Expo

Tata Motors Ltd (TML) will showcase the much-awaited crossover vehicle Xover at the Indian Auto Expo in New Delhi this January. The vehicle, expected to be priced Rs 6-8 lakh, will hit the markets in the first half of the 2010 and plug a vital gap in its portfolio.

Positioned to take on Toyota Innova, Mahindra Xylo and Chevrolet Tavera, the Xover with its three row of seats will attempt to blend the benefits of a family-friendly luxury tourer with the refined driving dynamics and visual cues of an activity-oriented sports utility vehicle.

This seven-seater vehicle will sport a new generation engine, navigation system, ABS and air bags among other enhancements.

Created with extensive design inputs from London-based Tata Motors European Technical Centre (TMETC), the concept vehicle was first showcased at the 75th Geneva Motor Show in 2005.

A decision to go ahead with the production was taken a couple of years later and the vehicle design fine-tuned. Vendors for supply of components were then tied up and prototypes readied for testing earlier this year. According to sources, extensive testing of the prototypes is currently underway in western India.

"Xover’s production variant will be ready for display at the Auto Expo in New Delhi," said Nitin Seth, head of car product group, passenger car business unit at TML.

While the vehicle will closely resemble the concept that was displayed at Geneva, the radical headlamp cluster of the concept could go for a more conventional set.

Seth, however, ruled out a production version of Prima, the concept luxury sedan designed by Pininfarina and showcased by TML at the 79th Geneva Motor Show earlier this year.

Source: Times Business, Bangalore
Date: 03 Nov 2009
Attached Thumbnails
AUTO EXPO 2010 - What to Expect ?-tataxoverf3q.jpg  

AUTO EXPO 2010 - What to Expect ?-tataxoverfside.jpg  

AUTO EXPO 2010 - What to Expect ?-tataxover1.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2009, 12:42   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Autocarcr, nice compilation effort,

The yeti seems out of place for India as it is a 5 seater, it would take on the CRV at about half the price, but a 5 seater SUV / MUV?

The Fanta Se from hyundai, also seems destined to face the Tucson fate. To do well the need to go very aggressively priced below say 14L with a max of 15L that seems unlikely considering the past unless it is a CKD rather than a CBU. Fortuner is doing well due to resale value expectations, reliability presumptions & Brand premium for Toyota which Hyundai does not get.

Santa Fe was displayed in the last auto expo, the expected pricing is close to 30 lakhs. 14-15 lakhs for Santa fe is not possible, may be a Tuscon at this price point is possible, the Tuscon was selling at around 16 lakhs btw there is a new Tuscon out in Korea which is inspired by the I series looks good.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:13   #63
BHPian

If 30lakhs is what Hyundai is aiming at, then I guess Veracruz is what they should launch in India. It looks much better than the Santa Fe and can seat 7. Internationally it competes price-wise against CRV, Rav4 and Nissan X-terra ( a true rugged SUV unlike X-trail).

AUTO EXPO 2010 - What to Expect ?-pic11130.jpeg

Last edited by harishnair : 3rd November 2009 at 13:14.
Old 5th November 2009, 19:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

At 30 Lacs a Hyundai SUV will have trouble selling.

Look at all the negative remarks Honda is getting at pricing their CRV at such a stupid price.

Hyundai should have a SUV at the Expo and price should be less than 20 Lacs.
Old 7th November 2009, 14:35   #65

I am looking forward to see Maruthi displaying India assembled version of Grand Vitara. Strong wish is for diesel engine, probably 1.9 multijet? And price range between 11 to 14 lacs. This could be possible by sourcing majority of the components from indian vendors.

If this comes before skoda yeti is released, then grand vitara might be able to take market share from skoda yeti and even compete with it.
Old 8th November 2009, 09:54   #66
BHPian

@Expo 2010

cars
Skoda Yeti
Porsche Panamera
Hyundai Santa Fe

Bikes
Bajaj - New pulsar
Harley Davidson - any india focused - Sportster 883
Old 9th November 2009, 14:53   #67
BANNED

Wow..... I not going to miss it out this time for sure.
Lucky this time as my exams will finish before December end !
Delhi Fiatians, we Bangy Fiatians are coming... Go DELHI
Old 17th November 2009, 12:54   #68
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Any Ideas what the Auto Car PERFORMANCE SHOW in MUMBAI is all about, people are seeing the hoarding and confusing it to be a the Delhi Car show being held in Mumbai. Got the mailer from Autocar but still could not figure out what it was all about.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

well i guess we already are having its thread with details of companies participating and also to showcase JCB diesel.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:17   #70
BHPian

Volvo’s not coming to Expo but has two vehicles and mega plans for India

Swedish car manufacturer Volvo Cars which has rechristened its firm’s name to Volvo Auto India Private Limited will not be participating at the Delhi Auto Expo in January 2010 but has plans for India next year.
The Swedish firm plans to launch the 2010-spec S80 luxury sedan in India priced at around 40-lakh rupees and is likely to hit Indian shores by January 2010. The company is also drawing up plans to unleash the XC60 compact SUV in the first half of 2010 and the S60 saloon which should boost sales of the brand in India.
Volvo Auto India sold 900 cars last year and is confident that it will beat the 10 per cent increase it had earlier projected for the current year.
Volvo is also keen on setting up an assembly unit in India, if its annual figures touch 2,000 units. After opening outlets in Delhi, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Hyderabad, Cochin, Chennai and Pune currently in India, the company is now looking to expand its base to Goa, Kolkata, Bangalore and Ahmedabad and Coimbatore.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Sudan NFS - Thanks for sharing this piece of information.

I am not surprised if Volvo is not coming to the Auto Expo. They have had a not so good response to their vehicle stable here. All very safe and modern vehicles BUT in terms of looks I guess the Indian customer still prefers a Beemer, Audi or a Merc.
Old 27th November 2009, 17:02   #72
BHPian

Oops I forgot to mention the source:http://***************.com/2009/11/volvo-india-xc60-s60

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 27th November 2009 at 17:05.
Old 27th November 2009, 17:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hyundai should have a SUV at the Expo and price should be less than 20 Lacs.
I doubt it . They still have the Tucson for sale at 19-odd lakhs. Absolutely
no value for money.Hyundai may have brought out a Genesis but they are not a Toyota or Mercedes yet that you have to pay so much of a premium for a brand.
The Fortuner itself is far better and sensibly priced (not absolutely, but in comparison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
"Xover’s production variant will be ready for display at the Auto Expo in New Delhi," said Nitin Seth, head of car product group, passenger car business unit at TML.
I for one will certainly be waiting for a look at this one,but not prob in the flesh.Took my wife and 6-month old kid to the last Auto expo and flew there from Bangalore.Was certainly loco then but not so much now.

Last edited by rpmx1000 : 27th November 2009 at 17:55. Reason: additional comments
Old 28th November 2009, 17:59   #74
BHPian

Toyota website is mentioning about Autoexpo 2010. Still only rumours on Yaris. Any scoops on Toyota's lineup for 2010?
Old 29th November 2009, 01:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

Will Maruti be showcasing the new Swift?. I hope so.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed