Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 17:45   #1
BHPian

Is it the end of big discounts?

Read toady that car companies will soon withdraw big schemes from the market, due to a fact that demand is more than supply.
So if any of the forum members planning to buy a car,hurry before its too late!!
Ciao!

Vanishing inventories pushing car cos to limit discounts*-*WheelsUnplugged Automobile Industry News
Carmakers to end discount season on soaring demand- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
All Promotional Offers to End Soon in India | CarTradeIndia.com

Last edited by Eddy : 26th October 2009 at 17:48. Reason: Removed tags & fonts
Old 26th October 2009, 17:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

The usual discounts are still on if you are a serious buyer and drive a good bargain. In my opinion, these articles are just PR stunts by SIAM to scare people into advancing their purchases.
Old 26th October 2009, 18:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

I was at a maruti dealership about 10 days ago, and I was told that there was a waiting on all models apart from the alto. Even the A-star and the wagon-r had waiting periods running into weeks

The salesperson told me that there something going on at the maruti plant that they were not fully aware of. Don't know how much she told me was true.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:44   #4
BHPian

I don't see comments from other makers like Mahindra ?

Would Mahindra increase scorpio price ?
Old 27th October 2009, 12:29   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

There is always scope for negotiation of dealer discounts - depends entirely on how carefully one does one's homework, how much one is prepared to pay (in the final scheme of things) and how one has nurtured one's relationship and negotiation skills with the dealers.

I definitely believe that one can continue getting reasonable discounts and good final deals with some accessories and things thrown in for good measure.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:24   #6
BHPian

In that case, if you are good at negotiating, you should be able to get some good discounts for a Dzire or an i20?- I doubt!

The point what I wanted to tell is that a car which has a discount at 30K currently might drop down to 15k to 20K.

If I am right, if there is a burden on high inventory on a dealer, then only he will be giving away higher discounts.

Any ways, lets watch this space, may be I am wrong as well as those scribes who have written the articles
Old 27th October 2009, 13:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well, big discounts were always on less selling models & will be there always. Nil or next to Nil discounts thingy was always applicable on fast running.

Though Year-end, Navratris will always be a great time to do car shopping as always.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:22   #8
BHPian

You may be right here, yesterday I visited one of the dealer here in Nagpur to inquire about 4x4 AT and he told be the prices will go upward or atleast to the same extent before the refresh model was launched, you may be aware, at launch the reduced the prince by some 70+ K on VLX ;-(, but please don't hang me for this info, as this is what the salesman at the dealer told me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
I don't see comments from other makers like Mahindra ?

Would Mahindra increase scorpio price ?
Old 27th October 2009, 14:24   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

i agree - neither Hyundai nor Maruti have been known to encourage heavy negotiation. Your point about inventories is well appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
In that case, if you are good at negotiating, you should be able to get some good discounts for a Dzire or an i20?- I doubt!

The point what I wanted to tell is that a car which has a discount at 30K currently might drop down to 15k to 20K.

If I am right, if there is a burden on high inventory on a dealer, then only he will be giving away higher discounts.

Any ways, lets watch this space, may be I am wrong as well as those scribes who have written the articles
Old 27th October 2009, 15:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Discount season is just about to start, wait till dec to feb have plenty of discounts if you can negotiate well as dealers find it hard to sell previous year mfd cars.

Another good time to push for discounts is last week March as dealers want to push the sales figures up before they close their books on 31st.
Old 27th October 2009, 15:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The usual discounts are still on if you are a serious buyer and drive a good bargain. In my opinion, these articles are just PR stunts by SIAM to scare people into advancing their purchases.
Make it +1.

Sounds very similar to "1 million jobs in Animation over next 5 year" in typical Multimedia Training Institute advertisements (or "IT to grow by 100% in next 3 years" predictions by NASSCOM).
Old 27th October 2009, 15:56   #12
BHPian

^^
Add to it the similiarity of residential / housing market and their sales gimmics.

I see the same properties being advertized in the papers, every week, with 'Prices to go up by XXX after XXXX date'.

Never does so !

Most Viewed