Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 18:04   #166
BHPian

Like I always predicted, we are not getting a 1.6 hatch. I remember talking about this with several other BHPans who disagreed.

We will not be getting a diesel version. India will only be getting a 1.6 petrol version. I don't even think VW knows about a 1.6 diesel as discussed here. Maybe a 1.4 diesel is something worth waiting - in 2011.
Old 26th April 2010, 18:35   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

The engine specifications sound good! At least some relief after seeing several sub-100BHP launches in recent time, particularly in the sub-10 Lakhs category. Certainly an exciting and welcome launch if everything said in the report is true. But like many others have said here, I also think July 2010 is overly optimistic, and 2010-end may be more realistic.

About the boot job and the proportions, I think they have done a pretty decent job, but not a perfect job. The car looks good and extremely proportional in the 2nd picture (side view), but in the 1st picture and especially in the 3rd picture, the boot looks a bit disproportional.

I also feel the appreciation (or otherwise) of a boot job is often a psychological thing. Because we get used to the hatchback shape, we start noticing the boot separately (sort of like an oddity) when we see the hatch with a boot, and it just does not look right. For example, if we had never seen Polo (or if it did not exist in the current shape), then this exact sedan may have looked 100% proportional. But just because we have seen Polo, when we look at these pictures, our brain processes the front portion (upto B pillar) of the image as "it is a Polo", and then processes the remaining portion as "something extra". Therefore, I feel when manufacturers launch a sedan first and then a hatch, this effect is taken care of and we do not find it such a bad thing (in fact we may love this, e.g. lot of us are craving for a SX4 hatch).
Old 26th April 2010, 18:51   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
When I visited the VW showroom few weeks ago, the brochure stated the specs of 1.5 litre engine as well. Those were the same but the dimensions were same as that of the hatchback (I have the brochure in my home). I contemplate it would be the hatch that would be launched in Jul-10.

Further, the salesman had informed that their training for the Sedan hasn't been conducted, & expect the sedan by the year-end only.

Hence, do not expect the sedan by mid-year, unless there is surprise in store from VW, coupled with never ending delivery waits.

Sorry Guys...
Sorry again the engine is not 1.5 but 1.6 (& that too petrol)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
Like I always predicted, we are not getting a 1.6 hatch. I remember talking about this with several other BHPans who disagreed.

We will not be getting a diesel version. India will only be getting a 1.6 petrol version. I don't even think VW knows about a 1.6 diesel as discussed here. Maybe a 1.4 diesel is something worth waiting - in 2011.
The 1.6 diesel is infact in the pipeline (I am contradicting you, but this is my opinion). 1.4 diesel may no be a sound business strategy as a different drivetrain will only make their life difficult at the plant.

But, possibilities are endless... you could be right. At the end of the day, if we get something better than existing offerings in market, it is for our best.
Old 26th April 2010, 19:22   #169
BHPian

The Autocar article also states the Vento will come with different head lights and grille.
The car shown in the picture has a three slat grille. I could not find any differences with the head lights.
Can somebody throw some more light (pun intended) on that.
Old 26th April 2010, 22:59   #170
BHPian

i couldnt be happier. The fact that it is coming with a 1.6 diesel is a great bonus. any inclination on what the pricing will be?
Old 26th April 2010, 23:39   #171
BHPian

They could have named as MENTO(s) instead and make them available as 'mint' white Sorry couldn't resist the pun.
Old 27th April 2010, 00:32   #172
BHPian

I don't like the design at all, especially the rear which is a big disappointment. Looks like another Swift and Desire story where the hatch looks fabulous and the sedan, disgusting. Only saving grace though is the specs of engines, which for a change don't look underpowered. If Polo hatch comes with these 2 engines, its farewell to all competition. Autocarindia did state that Polo hatch will receive the 1.6 petrol engine after the launch of this sedan though, so hopes for another modern hot hatch like Palio 1.6 is intact.
Old 27th April 2010, 00:36   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
The Autocar article also states the Vento will come with different head lights and grille.
The car shown in the picture has a three slat grille. I could not find any differences with the head lights.
Can somebody throw some more light (pun intended) on that.
Different grille is no big deal. A change in the chrome trimmings or a complete mesh job and voila! You have a 'new' grille! Like on the Vista/Manza and the Swift/Dezire. Headlights too.Expect a change only in lens design and lamp layout .Maybe the Vento will come with round lenses,though the original smoked job on the international Polo would have looked fab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
About the boot job and the proportions, I think they have done a pretty decent job, but not a perfect job. The car looks good and extremely proportional in the 2nd picture (side view), but in the 1st picture and especially in the 3rd picture, the boot looks a bit disproportional.

I also feel the appreciation (or otherwise) of a boot job is often a psychological thing. Because we get used to the hatchback shape, we start noticing the boot separately (sort of like an oddity) when we see the hatch with a boot, and it just does not look right. For example, if we had never seen Polo (or if it did not exist in the current shape), then this exact sedan may have looked 100% proportional. But just because we have seen Polo, when we look at these pictures, our brain processes the front portion (upto B pillar) of the image as "it is a Polo", and then processes the remaining portion as "something extra". Therefore, I feel when manufacturers launch a sedan first and then a hatch, this effect is taken care of and we do not find it such a bad thing (in fact we may love this, e.g. lot of us are craving for a SX4 hatch).
So true! But these computer generated pics.Don't expect the real deal to be an eyesore though! The Polo's clean,proportionate and handsome design will show on the Vento too.It'll look good and cohesive.
Old 27th April 2010, 01:29   #174
BHPian

Whats up with hatches being converted to sedans? Looks like VW is following the footsteps of Maruti and Tata. This appears to mean that the Vento will be a dull car to drive, not for the enthusiast. They really need to provide more engine options in the Polo first.
Old 27th April 2010, 07:21   #175
BHPian

looks good, way better than Dzire! When a hatch is made to a sedan, its not an easy job cos the requirements of both the segment of buyers are not same. The best looking sedan born out of a hatch is definitely Linea, Great job by Fiat.

The 1.6 petrol would have a share of buyers, thanks to the brand and sturdy and handsome looks/feel. But I guess the best seller would be 1.6 diesel as its got a lot of potential buyers with limited good vehicles to catering to their needs. The trick is to price VENTO right, right from the start.

The July 2010 date is way too early.
Old 27th April 2010, 08:25   #176
Senior - BHPian

If VW can price it well, they can expect better luck than they had with the anemic Polo hatch. Whatever they think, VW just doesnt have the brand value in India. Charging a premium will be there doom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Whats up with hatches being converted to sedans?
well, duh!... because it sells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
This appears to mean that the Vento will be a dull car to drive, not for the enthusiast. They really need to provide more engine options in the Polo first.
Perhaps if you cared to read the article before commenting you would have realized that the Sedan is coming with different 1.6L engines for both petrol and diesel. And a 1.6 Diesel with 105 bhp and 25.5 Kgm torque would not exactly be a dull car to drive.
Old 27th April 2010, 08:45   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
I second that. They should have waited for a while before planning to launch in July. Although it might be a winner, the waiting period would definitely act as a deterrent.
My neighbour had booked a Polo and he was told delivery may be available by end of July. No guarantees.

So finally he had enough and went ahead and bought an i20 instead. The car is available in 4 days if he wants it.

I think VW needs to do their homework on the expected demand and ramp up their production capacity. Otherwise there will be more of such cases.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:19   #178
BHPian

Lack of TSI and DSG is a dealbreaker.

What's the point of VW launching its latest cars here if all the latest technology has been stripped out?
Old 27th April 2010, 09:27   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
They could have named as MENTO(s) instead and make them available as 'mint' white Sorry couldn't resist the pun.
They already have a mint with a hole

This one looks like it is worth waiting, if it is going to be launched in July.

With the 1.6 litre diesel, it could actually blow the "wind" to the car behind it...

Last edited by deepakhon : 27th April 2010 at 09:29.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:50   #180
Senior - BHPian

The specs look good. What would be really crucial is the interior space. City sells because of the space combined with other factors. You don't want to have Fiesta space.

I am really skeptical about the looks. Even the Jetta, save for the front chrome grill and rear has a dull side view. Of course the driver will no doubt like the interiors. Hope there will be multiple trim levels to suit everyone.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks