Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 22:08   #211
BHPian

Experts please take a close look at the edited pictures adding to the first post! I am almost certain that is not a VW! looking at the front, anyone can tell that is a Ford. The Large bottom air intake and the much smaller upper air intake and are Ford's design cues. I seriously feel one should delete the later added pictures and wait for comformation as to what car that really is!
Old 7th May 2010, 23:13   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Experts please take a close look at the edited pictures adding to the first post! I am almost certain that is not a VW! looking at the front, anyone can tell that is a Ford. The Large bottom air intake and the much smaller upper air intake and are Ford's design cues. I seriously feel one should delete the later added pictures and wait for comformation as to what car that really is!
Dude,it has been extensively discussed about the VW Vento disguised as a last gen Ford Focus in the forum.Not surprisingly,many fell for it.Its indeed a Polo sedan under Ford clothing.If you look closely,the Ford bits are clearly bolted on.
Old 8th May 2010, 12:00   #213
BHPian

Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardul.YamahaF View Post
Note from Mod : Please make sure you provide a source link when you use photos that are not your own. Do "report post" with the link so moderators can add it to your post.

Attachment 344477

Attachment 344478

Attachment 344479

Attachment 344480

Attachment 344481

Attachment 344482

The Polo Sedan & Polo

Source for VW vento pics

HindustanTimes ePaper
Old 8th May 2010, 12:49   #214
Muzungu

VW managed to fool a lot of Tbhpians by masking the VENTO with ford focus/fiesta parts!

and i still see some Tbhpians convinced by the 'FORD' and cant see the VW beneath!

Old 8th May 2010, 12:52   #215
BHPian

Befor we talk of Vento let it get launched comparing any start up to best available in market is sure way to get it killed wasn't Linea & SX 4 supposed to wipe out City where are they now ?
Let the car get launched first it is just not features on day 1 but a long term ownership expereince which makes a car sucessful Polo has just been launched we still do not much baout its long term viability.
Old 8th May 2010, 15:11   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of Bhpians here have commented that Vento will easily kill the City, i disagree with them. Honda has been around in the segment for more than a decade now, all the generations of City sold in India have a very good reputation. Despite being hugely overpriced the ANHC continues to be the best seller and appears on the top 10 sellers chart most of the times. All Honda needs to do to counter VW here is to drop the prices a bit or maybe introduce cheaper variants, if required.

The Vento on the other side is a very promising car but its a VW. It will be much more expensive to maintain, the Service centers are only located in Metros and the Petrol won't be as efficient as the Honda(Unless they bring in the TSi, which is unlikely).

The existing Diesel cars in the segment are more likely to be hit worse. The Verna and Fiesta are ageing. Masses are not confident about Fiat's service support the prime reason for Linea's low sales. If the Diesel delivers Verna like performance as reported in ACI, VW can have a huge Pie of the Diesel segment.
Old 8th May 2010, 15:36   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
A lot of Bhpians here have commented that Vento will easily kill the City, i disagree with them. Honda has been around in the segment for more than a decade now, all the generations of City sold in India have a very good reputation. Despite being hugely overpriced the ANHC continues to be the best seller and appears on the top 10 sellers chart most of the times. All Honda needs to do to counter VW here is to drop the prices a bit or maybe introduce cheaper variants, if required.

The Vento on the other side is a very promising car but its a VW. It will be much more expensive to maintain, the Service centers are only located in Metros and the Petrol won't be as efficient as the Honda(Unless they bring in the TSi, which is unlikely).

The existing Diesel cars in the segment are more likely to be hit worse. The Verna and Fiesta are ageing. Masses are not confident about Fiat's service support the prime reason for Linea's low sales. If the Diesel delivers Verna like performance as reported in ACI, VW can have a huge Pie of the Diesel segment.
I second that.

All of Hondas cars have been successful, with the exception of the Jazz. One cant expect that just because VW has come in and have made the sedan version of polo it will kill the city.

The city is a runaways success with the drivers and the back-seaters too. It appeals to the left of the brain and the right of the brain too. It has the right snob value, it has the right features right pricing...its right everywhere.

VW cannot price this car less than 7 lacs, the pricing acc to me would be around 8 lacs odd, going by history, they said the polo will be less than 4.5, but if you see today the ex factory price is 4.75 for its basic petrol comfortline.

I expect the price to be 8 lacs for its basic version, and by the time its OTR it will be 9.

The biggest problem i see for VW will be aftersales and servicing. They have just 35 dealers across India, post the Polo sales, they already will be under stress and that will be the division bell for VW.

I think the Honda City is the king of this market, unless the 'Vento' comes with a killer feature list at the price of the City, the city will still reign supreme.

cheers,
ac
Old 8th May 2010, 15:48   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Even if they come up with good equipment list with goodies like Climate control, Leather seats, Bluetooth etc, Will they be able to offer ABS and Airbags standard across all variants?

I Respect Honda for Offering ABS and Airbags standard across all variants. Such Basic safety equipment should not be sold off like luxury optional fittings offered only in the top variant. I hope VW does the same.
Old 8th May 2010, 16:10   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Even if they come up with good equipment list with goodies like Climate control, Leather seats, Bluetooth etc, Will they be able to offer ABS and Airbags standard across all variants?

I Respect Honda for Offering ABS and Airbags standard across all variants. Such Basic safety equipment should not be sold off like luxury optional fittings offered only in the top variant. I hope VW does the same.

VW has 6 airbags standard on all variants of the Jetta. Skoda has not sold a single car in India without airbags. The only reason the Polo doesn't have airbags standard is to keep the costs down. They could have increased the cost marginally and offered them, but they didn't.
If the Vento is going to compete with the City, one would expect VW equip the car with the same amount of kit as the City. This, we can expect for sure, I'd be more interested in seeing if VW manages to provide the kind of interior space the City has!
Old 9th May 2010, 01:11   #220
BANNED

Am surprised at the naming convention used by the VW guys - 'Vento' apparently is the branding used to sell the Jetta in Germany for sometime. Infact the 3rd gen Jetta was named as the vento in the German market. Jetta is based on the Golf platform while this new upcoming sedan is based on the Polo platform. Why would VW do this ?

Additionally the P-Engine specs looks as powerful (if not better) as the Jetta while the D-Specs is just a notch below the current Jetta's. Wont it hurt their own pocket given the vast price difference. In any event the D-Specs looks totally awesome and with a 9L price bracket will give many of the existing sedans, a run for their money.

Last edited by srikanths1 : 9th May 2010 at 01:17.
Old 9th May 2010, 13:04   #221
BHPian

I agree that it can't be termed as City Killer. Honda has very very strong brand value and though their cars are overpriced but since they fetch high resale, the overall cost of ownership is at par. Think something like-

Cost of ownership for T years = Buy Price + Maintainence price - Resale price

If you got high resale price then cost of ownership will go down and compensate for the high buy price. Also there is a factor of salvage life. And being a good quality car their life are long and hence more compensation for high buying price.

Coming back to 'Vento', I think it is 'good to have' car and will definitely HOT the sedan segment. As always 'Pricing' is the key.
But I am not sure how they maintain the production, as they are currently only producing 900 Polos per month and have a huge backlog to clear.
Old 10th May 2010, 15:41   #222
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosTHEjackal View Post
Just note that the top end will be a Diesel and not a petrol as in City.
Also you are comparing a base version of City to Top version of Vento @ 9 Lakhs.
I believe the price difference will be similar to that of City and Linea.

Not always, You are discounting Verna, SX4 which have comparable sales as that of Linea.

For VW these are early days. I don't think they will repeat the same mistake of lagging behind the demand.
Also I couldn't understand one point. When the waiting period is more for Swift, Dzire, Fortuner which wasn't negative for those cars, how can this be negative for VW.
The fact that a new entrant to India like VW's cars are having waiting period is itself a pointer that people do value VW brand.
I think my post was not interpreted correctly. What i meant is that on pure product quality, the Linea is great, and can pose a competition to the City, if it gets the right and adequate support.
The cars you mentioned had almost zero competition hence had backlog, but not here, this segment has a lot of offerings already.
Only when a customer has no option that to wait, most wait, the rest pick up the nearest best
When is the launch expected? I may just happen to buy it
Old 10th May 2010, 20:19   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Am surprised at the naming convention used by the VW guys - 'Vento' apparently is the branding used to sell the Jetta in Germany for sometime. Infact the 3rd gen Jetta was named as the vento in the German market. Jetta is based on the Golf platform while this new upcoming sedan is based on the Polo platform. Why would VW do this ?
Does it really matter? I mean,how many Vento owners will be aware that their VW used to share its nomenclature with a Mark3 Jetta in Germany! Even if they do,I don't think that's going to stop them from buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Additionally the P-Engine specs looks as powerful (if not better) as the Jetta while the D-Specs is just a notch below the current Jetta's. Wont it hurt their own pocket given the vast price difference. In any event the D-Specs looks totally awesome and with a 9L price bracket will give many of the existing sedans, a run for their money.
I don't the 1.6 petrol Jetta is available any more. Only the new 2.0L TDi CR for now I guess.
Old 11th May 2010, 19:53   #224
Senior - BHPian

Vento with Skoda Badge?

On Airport road, I saw a red Polo in front of me on the other lane. I was just wondering how would the Vento in this colour look.

Then I saw a Skoda which was a little less substantial than usual behind it. The rear lights were similar to Polo and no doubt it was a Vento.

Pulled out the camera and was waiting to come next to it. It took a left turn towards the Royal Orchid direction and couldn't get a snap. Someone can try to look around the area and you might get to see it.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:57   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
On Airport road, I saw a red Polo in front of me on the other lane. I was just wondering how would the Vento in this colour look.

Then I saw a Skoda which was a little less substantial than usual behind it. The rear lights were similar to Polo and no doubt it was a Vento.

Pulled out the camera and was waiting to come next to it. It took a left turn towards the Royal Orchid direction and couldn't get a snap. Someone can try to look around the area and you might get to see it.
So vento is out in bangalore ? Sounds like a dream.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks