Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2010, 01:00   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The conservative safe styling with clean proportionate lines does not look very exciting but this design will age very well.

Remember the Skoda Octavia and Hyundai Accent, these cars never looked exciting but while other cars in the segments like Ikon and Optra look dated now(even with facelifts), these ones still continue with unchanged original design, not many people complain about the same.

I feel VW should have slightly different front end for the Vento, unlike the DZire which shares the same styling with the Swift hatch.
Sorry. Accent did have Viva - a facelift. It did start turning boring.

While Polo-the hatch looks great, Vento looks plain. However, the novelty factor could do the trick if priced right. Also the waiting period for polo could do the trick on Vento sales as well, just like DZire had from swift.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:58   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Common Xingy. What is so great about ANHC? I will come on knees with proper competition. Though I am not completely impressed by the looks of this car, No way you can compare it to a Logan. Also this car badly needs some other color to show off rather than that dull looking milky white or beige or what ever you call it
Hi Poloman sorry if that hurt your Polo sentiments. I frankly agree Polo is a gem of a car.
But there are difference between a car which was built as a sedan and those which is a hatch and you add a boot to it to make it a cheap sedan.
That is the reason I hate the Vento, mind you these are guys who dont want to spend money on researching and getting good cars instead they take the shortcut of adding a boot to the best selling hatch.
The car might be good, but it cant compare with those planned to be a sedan right from day one.
Old 6th June 2010, 12:11   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
That is the reason I hate the Vento, mind you these are guys who dont want to spend money on researching and getting good cars instead they take the shortcut of adding a boot to the best selling hatch.
The car might be good, but it cant compare with those planned to be a sedan right from day one.
+1 to that. Polo is a great hatch, but vento is nowhere near the sedans in the category it intends to compete. With an outdated design style reminding the Old Suzuki Baleno/the new Indigo eCS, it cannot claim to be an elegant one. If they need a cue for making sedans from hatches, they could do well to look at the job Fiat did (Punto-Linea). If is elegance in the design that they intended, Linea outshines it comprehensively. If it is contemporary styling, ANHC wins hands down. Coming to the engine, the Vento is using an old VW engine and VW has not bothered to do even fine tuning to it.
The only positive I see in Vento is the AT option for the Petrol Engine...
Old 6th June 2010, 12:40   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is good and the only car that it can eat up is the current Fiesta, it surely doesnt even seem close the league of the ANHC.
Quote:
But there are difference between a car which was built as a sedan and those which is a hatch and you add a boot to it to make it a cheap sedan.
Have you driven the Vento, to make such a hasty judgement...oh wait...have you even seen it in flesh? Let us at least wait till a first drive report?
Old 6th June 2010, 14:48   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FYI the NHC was actually a previous Gen Jazz with a boot. Just look at the materials that were shared between these 2 models. I think Pricing will decide Vento's fate as the engines sound good on paper.
Old 6th June 2010, 17:42   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Swift was designed as a Hatchback and later the boot was added in India by Maruti to make it Dzire.

Unlike the Dzire, when the Polo platform was being designed, they already had plans to make several body types from the platform. Most popular cars like Corolla, Accent, Verna, Civic, Accord etc are sold with different body types in various countries including United States where two-door hatchback layout is popular.

Vento is a proper hatchback, its not a cheap after thought. Small sedans like Vento are made specially made for countries like ours, where the buyers associate the boot as status symbol or additional boot space is required for large families travelling together.

A lot of us associate poor back seat space in European hatchbacks like Punto and Polo as design fault, but the truth is they were not designed for our country's requirements.

Similarly a lot of were surprised to see less rear seat space in Punto than the Palio, lets not forget Palio was designed for Brazil and other third world countries, Punto was made for Europe.
Old 6th June 2010, 18:51   #352
Senior - BHPian

Guys, before you people pounce on me for my comment, I wish you had gone thro the disclaimer I wrote in the last line, I have written its just my first opinion I might be wrong. No dont take this personally.
Quote:
But hey its just my personal opinion, I might be wrong even..
Anyway here are the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Have you driven the Vento, to make such a hasty judgement...oh wait...have you even seen it in flesh? Let us at least wait till a first drive report?
Well if people were to comment or reply only when it is launched. Guess we should ask the mods to close this thread. No point is anyone saying a point until its launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
FYI the NHC was actually a previous Gen Jazz with a boot. Just look at the materials that were shared between these 2 models. I think Pricing will decide Vento's fate as the engines sound good on paper.
I dont remember mentioning about the NHC in my post. Anyway thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Swift was designed as a Hatchback and later the boot was added in India by Maruti to make it Dzire.

Unlike the Dzire, when the Polo platform was being designed, they already had plans to make several body types from the platform. Most popular cars like Corolla, Accent, Verna, Civic, Accord etc are sold with different body types in various countries including United States where two-door hatchback layout is popular.

Vento is a proper hatchback, its not a cheap after thought. Small sedans like Vento are made specially made for countries like ours, where the buyers associate the boot as status symbol or additional boot space is required for large families travelling together.

A lot of us associate poor back seat space in European hatchbacks like Punto and Polo as design fault, but the truth is they were not designed for our country's requirements.

Similarly a lot of were surprised to see less rear seat space in Punto than the Palio, lets not forget Palio was designed for Brazil and other third world countries, Punto was made for Europe.
Sorry but dint get your point are you telling that Vento like model are good or bad.

Again please dont take me wrongly. I am an ardent lover of Polo. But what I hate is people attaching a boot be it Fiesta sedan or Dzire or Vento or Indigo CS, just to create a model for third world countries, than building a product right from scratch.

Last edited by xingamazon : 6th June 2010 at 18:54.
Old 6th June 2010, 20:41   #353
BHPian

Guys...i happend to visit VW showroom at PALACE GROUNDS(bangalore)..to check on booking for Vento.The sales guy will be calling me tomm on this.
As of now they have planned to start booking only by end of July.
Old 6th June 2010, 21:24   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
Sorry. Accent did have Viva - a facelift. It did start turning boring.
Viva was not a facelift, it was one more variant with different body type.
Old 6th June 2010, 21:59   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again please dont take me wrongly. I am an ardent lover of Polo. But what I hate is people attaching a boot be it Fiesta sedan or Dzire or Vento or Indigo CS, just to create a model for third world countries, than building a product right from scratch.
Well,if this Vento idea seems a bit half-baked to you,let me tell you that,like the Golf/Jetta,the current Polo's lines were originally designed keeping in mind that it'll have a boot-ed sibling for markets like Russia and India later on,unlike the Swift/Dzire which merely was a in house add-on job by Maruti,subject to market demand.

And,as for building a India specific product right from scratch,why bother investing extra when one already has a capable platform in its international portfolio to work upon?If the final product can stand up to the competition(again,mostly consisting of boot-ed international superminis),I don't think there should be a problem regarding its roots.Its not 'just creating a model for third world countries'.The market demands such models,read compact sedans,and manufacturers obligingly serve.Case in point-Etios,Logan,Aveo,Indigo Manza,Fiesta,DZire and now the Vento.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:21   #356
BHPian

Do we have any specs available as of now? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
Guys...i happend to visit VW showroom at PALACE GROUNDS(bangalore)..to check on booking for Vento.The sales guy will be calling me tomm on this.
As of now they have planned to start booking only by end of July.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:46   #357
BHPian

Vento looks great. Clean and elegant. If they can price the deisel in ANHC territory, would be good buy.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:49   #358
Senior - BHPian

how can they start bookings without showing us the car or arranging a TD ?
Old 7th June 2010, 17:24   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
how can they start bookings without showing us the car or arranging a TD ?
Hasn't that generally been the case? In any case you can cancel your booking later and forgo a part of the booking amount. It's also an opportunity to speculate and make money as did those who booked the Fortuner.

I actually find it surprising that car makers can hold the booking amount and take indefinite time to deliver the car. How is the customer compensated for lost interest? I guess in a boom boom market anything goes.

Cheers,
Old 7th June 2010, 17:39   #360
BHPian

The Vento has me very interested. I hope they price it right and don't leave out many basic features like they have in the Polo. Audio controls on steering, bluetooth for phone, USB and climate control AC would be nice to have.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks