Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 18:14   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
how can they start bookings without showing us the car or arranging a TD ?
The same thing happened with Fortuner last year and Polo this year. In case of the Fortuner Toyota did not even reveal the pricing details at the time accepting initial bookings, i predict the same with Corolla diesel again.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:53   #362
Senior - BHPian

So are you then saying if i call VW downtown in bangalore and simply tell them I want a booking they'd oblige? Crazy guys. First they need to show the car in blood and flesh. TD is another thing altogether.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:23   #363

Volkswagen Polo Sedan "Vento" New pics!

VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-vento_600.jpg

Hot on the heels of an aggressive brand campaign and the much hyped Polo launch, Volkswagen has officially confirmed its plan to introduce Polo sedan, but with the Vento nameplate instead. Officially unveiled at the Moscow Motor Show recently, the Vento is expected to hit the Indian market by August-September with a price tag of Rs. 7-9 lakhs.

VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-4665116437_81f7b28018_b.jpg
VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-4665738942_8dd09012b0_b.jpg
VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-4665740904_4aa0872d45_b.jpg
VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-4665116939_679c11d05c_b.jpg

Most of us must have cribbed about the lack of rear legroom in the Polo, but the sedan sibling comes with more space inside, thanks to the 50mm longer wheelbase. Except for a different grille and lights, the Vento is more or less similar to the Polo up to the B-Pillar. Boot space is said to be somewhere near 500 litres with a split seat option on offer.

According to Autocar, the Vento will initially get two engine options – petrol and diesel. Both these engines displace 1.6 litres and both produce 105bhp. However, the diesel has a thumping 25.5kgm of torque to the petrol motor’s 15.8kgm and their driving characteristics will differ like chalk and cheese. The 1.6 common-rail diesel is brand new and comes from the same engine family as the 1.2 turbo-diesel that powers the Polo and the bigger 2-litre diesel under the hood of the Jetta.

The new Vento will be the seventh model in India from Volkswagen’s stable. The company currently offers compact cars Beetle and Polo, premium sedans Phaeton, Passat and Jetta and sports utility vehicle Touareg.

Source: Fit to Post Blog
Attached Thumbnails
VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-4665116249_a84f00b540_b.jpg  

VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-cup-holder.jpg  

Old 8th June 2010, 10:39   #364
BHPian

excellent info deepak But not sure how much of tht will be in the indian version. The pic shows it as left hand drive (?)
Old 8th June 2010, 11:02   #365
BHPian

More legroom in the rear is true. But Vento will continue to suffer poor shoulder room. They can't widen the Polo platform.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:36   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
More legroom in the rear is true. But Vento will continue to suffer poor shoulder room. They can't widen the Polo platform.
Is it shoulder-room or head-room? But, what I have read concur is the legroom for tall passengers.
Not all the times you carry three passengers at the back. Even in my case, it hasn't been more than 5%. So, I do not think rear passenger should be a grouse any more. The pricing vis-a-vis the equipments & the economy will decide the fate of this car. Definitely it would be a good competitor to the Honda City.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:09   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Is it shoulder-room or head-room? ..
Shoulder room will be cramped in Vento.
Head room will be better since Vento will not have the low sweeping roofline of Polo.

In summary, both leg room and head room will be better than Polo.
Shoulder room will remain same.

In Polo, i found third person in rear bench a very tight squeeze.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:55   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
So are you then saying if i call VW downtown in bangalore and simply tell them I want a booking they'd oblige? Crazy guys. First they need to show the car in blood and flesh. TD is another thing altogether.
+1 on that, I guess the next step these companies would be doign is they will start taking booking for a India specific SUV that they are still conceptualizing. Forget about even starting test build. I can bet on seeing VW people will stil go and book for it.

How can a company go and start boooking for a car which they dont show. If I am not wrong according to mercantile law, the contract entered will stay null and void if the object of the contract is null and void. as in this case..
Old 8th June 2010, 20:31   #369
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
+1 on that, I guess the next step these companies would be doign is they will start taking booking for a India specific SUV that they are still conceptualizing. Forget about even starting test build. I can bet on seeing VW people will stil go and book for it.

How can a company go and start boooking for a car which they dont show. If I am not wrong according to mercantile law, the contract entered will stay null and void if the object of the contract is null and void. as in this case..
Why blame the company when people are willing to pay.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:42   #370
BHPian

Hmm, it appears that we Indians are not the only people who like to ruin a perfectly good looking hatch by transforming it into a retarded sedan. Sorry guys but The Vento does look awkward from the rear.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:50   #371
Senior - BHPian

I like the Vento. Turned out great. Polo not being a tall boy has helped its case. Understated elegance at its best.

Now how does a guy (say senior manager) feel paying 10 lakhs for a car that has the same nose as a 5 lakh car driven by the new college recruit.

Last edited by Mpower : 8th June 2010 at 20:58.
Old 9th June 2010, 06:10   #372
BHPian

Great pics. VW have done a great job. It looks neat and clean. If priced correctly ANHC will be running for cover
Old 9th June 2010, 09:03   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Now how does a guy (say senior manager) feel paying 10 lakhs for a car that has the same nose as a 5 lakh car driven by the new college recruit.
Very well put & in minimum words, the general feeling we all had about this car.
What was stopping VW to give a bit more tweak to its 'face'? The hatchback & sedan, if parked next to next, will look exactly the same when you walk by !
Old 9th June 2010, 10:44   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that point.
@MPOWER: thats so well put across, now that is the issue I have been talking about all this while when a hatch is extended to become a sedan. The snob value of the car in general is not gonna change for the boot. Its for the car in general. Doesnt matter how you engineer the product etc.
So anyone having the issue as Mpower will feel a slap on his face if a new recruit in his company owns a similar one like his.

Mind you Jetta doesnt have that problem as we dont have Golf here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Why blame the company when people are willing to pay.
I know, I am just mentioning how the streategy of these companies would be next to milk the customer who go by brand names.

Its like trying to get an admission of a school even before the kid is born.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:42   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Are you an IITian by any chance? I do not know that many college recruits that could buy a 5 lakh car. All were around 27/28 when they could buy a 5 lakh car from their own hard earned money.

Polo at 27 and Vento at 30. Thats not too bad, is it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks