Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 14:07   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
My personal pick is that the POLO 1.6 will NOT have an auto. It will spiral the price too high for anybody to afford it. Look at it this way, the POLO 1.6 will be costlier than POLO1.2 Highline. if the auto were to be launched, it will be even costlier. What price are Indians ready to pay for a hatchback? (no matter how good it is). 8 lakhs ex. No way! Most people will buy VENTO base sedan at that price (or try stretching for ANHC).
I agree, it will end up more expensive then a sedan (like i20, which is 9+ in Bangalore). And since the enthusiasts would opt for 1.6, the auto may not go well with it.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:21   #407
Senior - BHPian

There are two ways of re-using a platform. One is what TATA and Maruti would do in just adding the boot and even leaving most of other panels as is.
Then there are others like VW (not in India) and Honda (Jazz and City) who really use the platform and change the panels and interiors, re-tune the suspension etc.
Need to see if VW does the first one similar to what Indian companies have done.

Globally VW and Audi have shared a lot of components underneath the skin. So what really differentiates and what people see as value add is not easy to know.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:03   #408
BHPian

Youtube video of Vento's unvieling in Russia

!
Old 18th June 2010, 11:34   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
There are two ways of re-using a platform. One is what TATA and Maruti would do in just adding the boot and even leaving most of other panels as is.
I guess that was rude to say Tata's added the boot just like that.
AFAIK, Tatas also conceptualized using the Indica platform to make sedans right from day 1. Just because they are Indian I dont think we should stereotype them as "Boot adders".

BTW, I am yet to read some solid proof that VW was planning things like Vento and Jetta right from conceptualization. Its only the VW fans who are claiming so.
If anyone has link claiming this please post it.

Again, not that I am against these cars. Just that I would like to see some evidence before such statements are made in this site.

Last edited by xingamazon : 18th June 2010 at 11:37.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:40   #410
Senior - BHPian

@xingamazon, There is nothing rude. We are just discussing things here. Why isn't it rude to Maruti?
I am just mentioning the effort put by different manufacturers in turning a hatch into an sedan. Although, its not right to say a hatch being reused since a platform is being used to spawn different configurations. Some people spend more effort and investment. Others dont.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:36   #411
Senior - BHPian

Guys, can we call Vento as a Polo with a boot ???
Old 18th June 2010, 12:55   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I am sure it will have extended wheelbase and possibly deeper base for the rear seats.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:00   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
or probably, "the mint with a boot"

Then you should call most entry level sedans in India as Boot-jobs, say

Ikon~Fiesta = European Fiesta with a boot
City = Fit with a boot (& of course some engineering)
Verna~Accent = US accet with a boot
& so on.

Lets not deride the product or the concept as it is a wonderful attempt to create utility (at least to the customers) involving engineering so some extent.

BTW, what do you ride Swift with a boot or your desire (Dezire). No offences meant.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:47   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We can do it otherwise, we can call the Polo with boot as Vento. The Vento is not just a Polo with a boot unlike the Swift with a boot.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:20   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
We can do it otherwise, we can call the Polo with boot as Vento. The Vento is not just a Polo with a boot unlike the Swift with a boot.

I'd agree. From what I gather (through articles and the russian videos!), the distance between the bases of the B and C pillars for the Vento seem to be slightly longer than those for the Polo- perhaps a little more comfort for rear passengers?

Also, the rear design of the Vento- the so called "Polo with a boot" seems to be more united with the rest of the car as opposed to say- a Dzire (no offense meant to Dzire owners). Perhaps a fitter comparison would be the Chevvy SRV, which is essentially an Optra without the boot. But then again, there would be few who would not consider the SRV as a separate car.

Irrespective, I think VW's done pretty well so far in tapping the high-end hatchback market. With the Vento, I believe the pricing would be made to compete with the likes of the City, the Linea and the Fiesta. "Polo with a boot", or no "Polo with a boot", the Vento is one car to seriously look forward to.

Now, where's that Polo with that 1.6 TDI everyone's waiting for?
Old 18th June 2010, 17:13   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
It looks really nice! I'm no great fan of saloons over hatchbacks, as such, but this car looks lovely.

Quote:
The Jetta is a Golf with a boot --- but the 2011 Jetta, it seems, has been given its own, new platform, and is not a Golf with a boot!

If only India (and yes, that means T-BHPian ) could get over its prejudice against hatchbacks, this kind of conversation would be entirely different!
Old 18th June 2010, 19:18   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
or probably, "the mint with a boot"
...that leaves you with a hole in your pocket.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:55   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

Looks very good. It is definitely not a patch job.

BTW, I love the 2011 Jetta which was launched in times square. Could change VW's fortune in the USA. Hope we have it soon here
Old 18th June 2010, 22:12   #419
BHPian

I disagree, the front end of the Polo looks gorgeous, so sharing the same front is not a bad idea.

What does worry me though, is that if this is basically a sedan version of the Polo, will the interiors be equally cramped, especially for tall people?
Old 18th June 2010, 22:47   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

The polo is a small car. I'd expect that, if you find the hatchback cramped in the back, you'd find a saloon based on it to be at least as cramped.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed