Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 13:46   #691
Senior - BHPian

Even the new Polos have the 'Volkswagen' badge at the rear. Just saw one yesterday.
Old 18th July 2010, 14:38   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
OT: Gaurav, I must have missed this, I didn't know you'd got yourself a Polo, so, Congratulations. Time to dig out your ownership thread!

Now, back to the topic, thanks for your first impressions -

Electric fold as well or just electric adjustment? And, how would you rate the rear legroom in comparison to the Cedia?

(As you may have guessed, I'm looking at the Vento 1.6 very closely for obvious reasons)
Thanks Suman, ya the polo is for my brother.

Now, I just manged to sit in the Vento for a minute or a two, so couldnt check if its electric fold or electric adjust, I just saw the buttons on the handle. I believe its electric adjust, not sure though.

Regarding the leg room, its a bit better than the Fiesta and may be its same as that of ANHC (may be a bit less, sat in ANHC long back, so dont remember). The rear seat is comfortable with good under thing support and have the same European head rests (better rear visibility than polo) and rear AC vents is an excellent option. Cedia's leg room is far better and cant be compared (even if you pull the seat right back, a tall person can sit very comfortably).

The thing with vento is that the dash is high and the front screen is a smaller than SX4 and ANHC, also the side windows are smaller than the competition and hence it doen't fell as roomier and airy. Although, the dash and the interior quality is very good, much better than the SX4, fiesta and may be ANHC (again sat in one of the first few ANHCs, when the interior quality is not upgraded).

I personally dont like the looks of ANHC, the arrow shape design??..this one surprisingly looks much better, considering its based on hatch (maybe the straight lines helped against the curvy swift and indica vista).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Missed your post...This sounds like the Vento will have some of those small details, missing on the Polo, that might clinch it for me!

I didn't want a bigger car, but hey...
yes the vento has everything that is missing in the polo. go for it!

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th July 2010 at 14:49.
Old 18th July 2010, 14:41   #693
Senior - BHPian

Vento does looks pretty decent and is quite moderate with its design lines. No doubt the add-on job of a boot is done very well. Was quite keenly following on this model but i do deel let down with this launch.
My main pain areas are
1) Front looks no different from a 5 lakh car (read as Polo). A Rs 10 Lakh Car buyer would have an ego as well
2) Interiors are the same as that of Polo except for added features.
3) Dealers unable to identify potential Customers and accord treatment.
4) Transmission Tunnel makes it leg sore for the third person sitting in between.

Plus points that will be me give it a deep thought
1) Well engineered 1.6 Liter CRDI Diesel Engine Car
2) Wheel base being extended makes it more comfortable at the rear

Neutral Points or more news awaited
1) Ride Quality
2) Final Prices

VW have done a decent job but it still has a lot of things where it needs to pull up its socks. VW is trying to rush through things and capitalise of the Diwali Binge that we Indians usually indulge in.

Honda to me still ranks slightly better except for the over priced feature and yes no Diesel Option which has kept me out of its showrooms. Honda City looks a better package atleast in Petrol when compared to Vento Petrol. At best Vento might wean away a small percentage of Honda Buyers only for the diesel option
Any whispers on Toyota Etios/Mitsubishi Lancer.
Old 18th July 2010, 20:22   #694
Senior - BHPian

found some pics from Indian autos blog and ACI.
Attached Thumbnails
VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-volkswagenventoindialaunch10.jpg  

VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-volkswagenventoindialaunch11.jpg  

VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-volkswagenventoindialaunch13.jpg  

Old 18th July 2010, 20:23   #695
oss
BHPian

From this picture, the rear leg room looks just as much as in Fiesta. Let us wait to see in person.
Old 18th July 2010, 23:34   #696
BHPian

Maybe VW can spring a surprise and price it lower than the Polo, similar to other markets? one is allowed to dream on the forum I hope!

Seriously, if VW manage to price the Vento such that the top end diesel comes for Rs 10 L on road in Bangalore, they have a customer in me. And I dont think this is impossible either - I think a HL 1.2 Polo is Rs 680k ex-showroom, so it isn't an impossibility to expect the 1.6 HL Vento to be priced at Rs800,000 ex-showroom
Old 18th July 2010, 23:56   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
My main pain areas are
1) Front looks no different from a 5 lakh car (read as Polo). A Rs 10 Lakh Car buyer would have an ego as well
+1. Totally agree with you, a buyer with a budget with million rupees will be put off with the above mentioned points.

Quote:
Any whispers on Toyota Etios/Mitsubishi Lancer.
Err i dont think Etios will be competing with the City, Vento , Verna etc. It looks like it will be placed close to or above Dzire, Manza range.
FYI Etios 2011 launch.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:56   #698
Senior - BHPian

Looks like leg room at rear is no where close to ANHC, hope its not lesser than fiesta.

If they launch AT around the price of 10-10.5 Lac on road it will be killer pricing. ANHC AT is almost priced at 12 Lac on road. It will be good to see some competition especially for AT lovers.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:13   #699
BHPian

i m really happy to finally see something which could be a "TRUE" competitor to the ANHC. That way honda can now be serious about their pricing rather than being on my way or the highway pricing
Old 19th July 2010, 11:26   #700
BHPian

Im a little perturbed by this trend of replacing black or even beige dashboards and interior plastics with ones that are almost "off white". What a maintenance headache, especially for those that deal with the dirt and grime of highway driving.

This could pretty much be the factor behind which i choose to buy the base model over the top end model
Old 19th July 2010, 11:52   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vento does looks pretty decent and is quite moderate with its design lines. No doubt the add-on job of a boot is done very well. Was quite keenly following on this model but i do deel let down with this launch.
My main pain areas are
3) Dealers unable to identify potential Customers and accord treatment.
4) Transmission Tunnel makes it leg sore for the third person sitting in between.

Plus points that will be me give it a deep thought
1) Well engineered 1.6 Liter CRDI Diesel Engine Car
2) Wheel base being extended makes it more comfortable at the rear

Neutral Points or more news awaited
1) Ride Quality
2) Final Prices

VW have done a decent job but it still has a lot of things where it needs to pull up its socks. VW is trying to rush through things and capitalise of the Diwali Binge that we Indians usually indulge in.
Honda to me still ranks slightly better except for the over priced feature and yes no Diesel Option which has kept me out of its showrooms. Honda City looks a better package atleast in Petrol when compared to Vento Petrol. At best Vento might wean away a small percentage of Honda Buyers only for the diesel option Any whispers on Toyota Etios/Mitsubishi Lancer.
An excellent sum up, going by the looks and smaller glass area looks a bit cramped, but it is sure to have the superb German engineering and quality which wil offset someof the pain points. Now it is the price and the ability to handle deliveries which will decide how far the car is successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
found some pics from Indian autos blog and ACI.
Nice find
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Maybe VW can spring a surprise and price it lower than the Polo, similar to other markets? one is allowed to dream on the forum I hope! Seriously, if VW manage to price the Vento such that the top end diesel comes for Rs 10 L on road in Bangalore, they have a customer in me. And I dont think this is impossible either - I think a HL 1.2 Polo is Rs 680k ex-showroom, so it isn't an impossibility to expect the 1.6 HL Vento to be priced at Rs800,000 ex-showroom
At this price it is sure to give serious competition to many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
i m really happy to finally see something which could be a "TRUE" competitor to the ANHC. That way honda can now be serious about their pricing rather than being on my way or the highway pricing
Honda has been far too long monopolising this segment with unrealistic prices, it is high time for some one to come and spoil their party.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:48   #702
Senior - BHPian

What better does the Polo offer apart from better interiors and slightly better build than the Fiesta.
Old 19th July 2010, 14:01   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, that's not beige. Beige has a creamy, browny look. One of the most nondescript colours ever: how car manufacturers got the idea that it is posh beats me. Just goes to show the idiocy of marketing departments!
If you paint the interior of a 100 litre refrigerator in black or grey and ask people to estimate the volume, most of them will report a figure around 95 litres. Now paint it in beige and the guesstimate would be around 115 litres.

I've read this on WWW a couple of years back; dont ask me for the source
Old 19th July 2010, 14:39   #704
Senior - BHPian

Lighter colours do give a airy feel to the interior. Helps since smaller cars are made more today. Vento's seat colours are too light for my liking. Dont know how a cover would look on it.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:05   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sure colour use influences our impression of space.

I'm a slob... I need a car that doesn't show he dirt! <Blush>
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks