Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2010, 11:06   #781
BHPian

the vento looks absolute stunner in white !! it sure has my heart. if the ICE is same as polo, means it has 4 speakers right ? A spoiler would have looked great on it too.
Does anyone know does the top end has all 4 disc brakes or just the front 2 ?
Old 25th July 2010, 12:09   #782
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
OSS and others,

I'm banking on the petrol version, been waiting for this car after parking the City aside.

Any particulars about what exactly is not pleasing in the petrol version? Is it the outright performance, torque, refinement, nvh levels??

This will be a very useful input since a diesel one won't break-even for me (40 km per day average).
Quote:
mxx, I'm seriously considering it and waiting since 4-5 months instead of going ahead with City. I'd definitely test drive it, but my idea is that I'll go ahead and book it as soon as bookings are open (so that I'm ahead in the queue) if reviews are strongly positive.

My requirements are solid build quality, premium feel, ride & handling (all these seem to be fine with vento) and along with these, better-than-average performance. I probably don't mind spending a lakh more just in case diesel ends up considerably being better than the petrol one, but would prefer petrol in favor of refinement & low average running.
Quote:
Thanks Guna. Isn't this better than the Honda city figure of 146 Nm at 4800 rpm (translating to almost 15 kgm at 4800)?
It's the outright performance where the Petrol Vento will score less. On all the other parameters listed by you (viz. build quality, premium feel, ride & handling NVH) it is expected to be very good.

Due to poor low end torque, you might feel wanting for power in heavy traffic or will have to keep changing the gears often in traffic situation. City is able to get away with lower bottom end torque by being very light weight. Germans will engineer a heavier car compared to the Japs.
Old 25th July 2010, 12:20   #783
Team-BHP Support

Since the number of pages are so many on thread, could not find much.
Question: Is the Vento petrol the same old Jetta 1.6 petrol? Or have they put in something new?
Old 25th July 2010, 14:27   #784
BHPian

thanks Srikant for the pics..Vento surely is stunner..ANHC finally has some serious competition..hope VW strengthens dealership network and clears polo's waitlist before launching Vento..
Old 25th July 2010, 15:19   #785
A.R
BHPian

Ahh, What a clean car!!! Love the lines of this car. I hope there isn't a long waiting period like the Polo if this has to outsell its competitors.
Old 25th July 2010, 16:44   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ahh, What a clean car!!!
Very appropriate description of VW design. Straightforward, no fuss, but good looking. It works for me!
Old 25th July 2010, 19:45   #787
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Due to poor low end torque, you might feel wanting for power in heavy traffic or will have to keep changing the gears often in traffic situation. City is able to get away with lower bottom end torque by being very light weight. Germans will engineer a heavier car compared to the Japs.
Is this really poor low end torque? 153NM at 3800 RPM seems class leading for non turbo petrol engines of that size.

My take on this vehicle is not only will it accelerate rapidly from standstill, but it will cruise like a rock on the expressway given that it is a VW. Excellent all round
Old 26th July 2010, 06:40   #788
BHPian

Going by the polo, if they cant do anything about the waiting period of 5 months I don't see them being a serious competitor in any segment. Its just too long a time frame. Surely they are loosing customers. Why cant the ramp up production before launch. In case of the Vento if they don't clear their Polo wait list its going to impact the vento buyer and many may just sideline the vehicle discouraged by the 5 months wait.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:12   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goacom View Post
give me a break!
So out of 100's of parameters, you choose one number (117hp) and that too without providing complete information. Even if power was your only concern, you should look at the power band, ie. the power vs RPM. Sure you can get even get 117hp even in a 5 lakh car ... may be at 8000 RPM.
Further more, if you are looking at performance, you need to look at torque, the torque bands and the power/weight ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Whats highlighted in bold is exactly what should be done and NOT passing judgment before a car is launched, theres no point.

If its only the power that matters then buddy for the price of your spark you could have got a used vtec or even as rs?
Yes I am aware of the cars I can buy at the budget of my Spark so thanks for the tip. And yes I am also aware of the facts stated about HP and RPM and torque. Thanks again. Unfortunately everyone is treating my statement in isolation. I clearly meant the 117BHP apart from the whole package.

No matter what is being said about not passing judgment, I have been driving cars long enough to know what the actual car will be like by just reading specs. No matter what review and test drive you read, let me pass this judgment as of today even without driving the Vento, that the Vento will not be faster car to 100 than the City and I rest my case with this statement. And lets not confuse this with handling and road behavior which may surely be better than the City.

BTW, The newest pictures of the rear space look really promising. Looks like I really was jumping the gun as far interior space is concerned.

Last edited by SPARKled : 26th July 2010 at 14:21.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:00   #790
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mods, since the price of Vento is not yet announced, vehicle not available for TD, Officially bookings not open, can we call it as "launched" as the thread title says ?

I dont think it is launched yet, only the car shown and specs shared.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I too along with others am curious to see the developments on this car as a competition to ANHC.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:25   #791
BHPian

^^ the car is not open for booking. But the official launch ceremony has been conducte by VW. So i guess that what the title "Launched" means
Old 26th July 2010, 16:57   #792
BHPian

The dealer in Bangalore told me it is a "soft launch" So I guess we will have to wait for the ___ whatever launch.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:48   #793
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popolo View Post
Is this really poor low end torque? 153NM at 3800 RPM seems class leading for non turbo petrol engines of that size.

My take on this vehicle is not only will it accelerate rapidly from standstill, but it will cruise like a rock on the expressway given that it is a VW. Excellent all round
The torque figure in itself is not bad, but in a heavier car it will struggle a bit to accelerate quickly and will require lot of help from the gear box.

And that's what ACI also felt in their first drive.

Last edited by oss : 26th July 2010 at 19:51.
Old 27th July 2010, 06:18   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Srikant, do you see any reason why only some dealers are taking bookings? I checked with VW dealer in Hyd (Orion Motors) this evening at the HIAS, he said they have no clue when bookings will actually commence.

Thanks
The dealers here are taking priority bookings so that, these priority people can get their car from the first lot of deliveries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
You should check with the dealer if they will refund the booking amount if you dont like the car after test drive. Maybe srikanth can shed some light on this.
As far as the ride & handling is concerned whatever is said in this forum are speculations. Ofcourse there are ACI comments, but these are not based on full test drives.
Yes the dealership is providing 100% refund on the booking amount if they dont want the car after seeing and feeling it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
It's the outright performance where the Petrol Vento will score less. On all the other parameters listed by you (viz. build quality, premium feel, ride & handling NVH) it is expected to be very good.

Its heavily built car and sturdy to the max as the Germans are known for. And a great engine to support the heavy car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
thanks Srikant for the pics..Vento surely is stunner..ANHC finally has some serious competition..hope VW strengthens dealership network and clears polo's waitlist before launching Vento..
They are already working on it and heard that the dealership will be getting more cars from next month (Info from reliable sources).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very appropriate description of VW design. Straightforward, no fuss, but good looking. It works for me!
Yes its a simple but great car !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popolo View Post

That surely does. I have felt it. Its real sturdy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd63 View Post
The dealer in Bangalore told me it is a "soft launch" So I guess we will have to wait for the ___ whatever launch.
Actually the car has been launched in Delhi and not in Bangalore yet. We can expect the car in Bangalore dealership by August end our Sept first week. Will keep you all updated with news i get.
Old 27th July 2010, 08:03   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post

Originally Posted by Popolo

That surely does. I have felt it. Its real sturdy !!
Srikant, do you mean that you didn't feel the lack of torque at low RPMs? I guess you didn't test drive it?

It's really nice that VW is giving 100% refund. They have nothing to lose anyway, assuming most customers won't back off and they have a waiting list to whom they can pass on the canceled car.

Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks