Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Hyundai's action justified?
Yes 14 29.17%
No 34 70.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 11:38   #16
BHPian

This such a petty issue to fight over. What about hyundai blatantly copying the design of sonata from the jaguar S or the tuscon copied from the holden captiva. Accepted that most car manufactures copy designs here and there, but the sonata is a good example of litterally lifting entire design.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_tejash View Post
So why don't they also case against Maruti as they are using a numbers in SX4 like they are using in i10 and i20?
Come on people! Surely we can keep this discussion healthier? It is a widely established fact, even a law in some places, that similar sounding, similar looking trademarks amount to infringement. What we are talking about here is similar to the cheap rip-offs like NIEK of NIKE, abidas for adidas etc. It doesn't matter if abidas is actually a better product than adidas - the fact remains that it is capitalizing wrongly on the market's positive perception of a "well known" brand. How would you feel if Hyundai's next car is called Kamery?

The courts will decide whether Hyundai's claim has sufficient merit or not, but can it be called it frivolous? I don't see how.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:52   #18
BHPian

Anyway look at this way - This is going to give Renault Sandero good publicity.

I think Honda also objected using the word "City" by TVS for there bike "Star City".
Old 28th October 2009, 12:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
It is a widely established fact, even a law in some places, that similar sounding, similar looking trademarks amount to infringement.
Exactly. That's what I said in my previous post; MahRenault should have foreseen this scenario. It clearly shows their adamant or ignorant attitude towards the market realities. They should have a name that is unique-sounding as their first step.

I am not a Hyundai fan. But I am 100% sure that Hyundai will win this suite hands down. They have been using their TM since 1998. The Dacia Sandero was launched in 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
I think Honda also objected using the word "City" by TVS for there bike "Star City".
I too think so, but difficult to win there as CITY is a common English word AND the products are of different categories.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th October 2009 at 12:07.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
This such a petty issue to fight over. What about hyundai blatantly copying the design of sonata from the jaguar S or the tuscon copied from the holden captiva. Accepted that most car manufactures copy designs here and there, but the sonata is a good example of litterally lifting entire design.
It is not a question of morality here. Even if we agree that Hyundai copied designs from whoever, it has no bearing on this subject. A company is justifiably feeling that one if its well known trademarks is being infringed upon by a similar product, it has the right to move court.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So it's confirmed Sandero is coming to India. Nice.
Ditto!!! This was first reaction to the thread.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Renault should thank Hyundai for giving free publicity to its car!
Old 28th October 2009, 12:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Don't agree with some points shared by aaggoswami.
1) Internationally Ritz is called Splash - and MSIL could not use the name as the same was already reserved by Some other car company, Ford I guess.

2)
people are buying i20 despite the overpricing, so I guess Hyundai got something right. You ain't comparing the fit & finish of i20 with any Renault-M&M vehicles - or are you?

3)
Please have a look at the 'its hyundai - like sunday' ad.

4) Please check your sources - Hyundai as a construction company was founded in 1947. Honda came up a year later in 1948.
1) Splash is the exact name of Ritz in international market and exact name regestired by Ford in India. Splash name is exactly similar in this case for both Suzuki and ford
In case of Santro and Sandero, its not similar words.

2) I just my opinion that Hyundai is worried because of Sandero.

3) The ad I am talking about appeared in Guajrati daily and it lead to Ford critizing Hyundai. This was reported in ACI too. One has to have a look at the add to believe how it was. Comparison in one thing, but this was beyond that.

4) I am talking about Automotive manufacturing. Honda's first Automotive vehicle came in 1963 and it was a small pickup. Hyundai's automotive business started after 1963.

IMO, this just a ridiculous move by Hyundai. They do not have any rights to protect a name which is not similar to Sandero in the first place. Next, what about Sonata simply copying rear end of Accord. Did honda complain ? Hyundai should first look into itself before hitting at others.

Sorry for harsh words, but hyundai acting like this is weird. Just about when I start to respect Hyundai, this disappointment comes up.

EDIT :

Quote:
Agree with your point. Hyundai is getting a taste of its own medicine. This is just a name ( that too a bit different ).

Quote:

A company is justifiably feeling that one if its well known trademarks is being infringed upon by a similar product, it has the right to move court.
The product is not similar in the first place and next name is also not Similar.
SANTRO
SANDERO.
I think both are different words.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th October 2009 at 12:58.
Old 28th October 2009, 13:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is not the first time Hyundai gone mad.

Here is another instance.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...cent-crdi.html
Old 28th October 2009, 13:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is worried that customers may end up buying the wrong car. I can imagine myself saying, "I actually wanted to buy a Santro - but look, I made a mistake and have ended up with the Sandero! What can I do now"
Old 28th October 2009, 13:50   #26
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Waste of time on the part of Hyundai.

Santro and Sandero - Cars of sufficently different segments and look, with names that are sufficently different.

Wish Jaguar had sued Hyundai for the Sonata Rear and Mercedes for the Sonata Front. (In the previous edition) and Honda for the Sonata Rear in the current Sonata (from earlier Honda Accord).

This is only going to be the joke of town with no sympathies for Hyundai and total indeference to Renault anyways.
Old 28th October 2009, 13:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

The copy cats crying foul on someone! Real funny thing man

It will be even more funny if the court has a laugh about this and ask Hyundai how they designed the Sonata S20
Old 28th October 2009, 14:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Hyundai is worried that customers may end up buying the wrong car. I can imagine myself saying, "I actually wanted to buy a Santro - but look, I made a mistake and have ended up with the Sandero! What can I do now"

How about this scenario

person 1 to person 2 - 'yaar my sandero broke down in the middle of the road'

Person 2 to person 3 - 'i know someone whose santro broke down'

person 3 to person 4 - 'don't buy santo, they have an awful record nowadays for breakdown'

So its a case of mistaken identity hurting the original name.
Old 28th October 2009, 14:27   #29
MCR
BHPian

Good that Sandero is coming to India. It will be a booster for M&M-Renault joint venture. Hope the car is good.

M&M-Renault will enjoy this free publicity. Hyundai cannot complain of name infringement here. Santro and Sandero have nothing in common except the first three letters. What is Hyundai trying to prove here, that an average Indian is un-educated and cannot differentiate? Is Hyudai assuming, What if prople start calling it "Sandro" instead of sandero?
Old 28th October 2009, 14:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Let me present the other side of the case. We all agree that Santro is a stronger brand name than even Hyundai. Ask the common Joe on the street and most of them have heard of Santro as a brand and have an opinion about it. Heck, in some of the small towns people call the i10 the new Santro and getz - big Santro . For many, small car means either Maruti or Santro.

For most of the folk, Sandero sounds very much like Santro. In some parts of the country the pronunciation may be virtually the same.

Since Santro is already well established brand, Hyundai has a right to protect it. In India where most of the purchasing decisions are taken based on somebody's advice or word of mouth, a strong, established brand name is of tremendous value to a company.
So no other car on earth should be even called close to Santro? I dont understand the logic.

And Sandero is actually a costiler bigger car compared to Santro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks