Team-BHP - Hyundai drags Mahindra Renault to court (over the "Sandero" name)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai drags Mahindra Renault to court (over the "Sandero" name) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/68221-hyundai-drags-mahindra-renault-court-over-sandero-name-4.html)

Hmm was it the first car they (hy) launched way back when the started out here? Guess the Renault might be a good car after all, since the original copycats are bothered :D. Good advert I would say!

Quote:

Originally Posted by asr245 (Post 1554094)
Not sure why you trying to defend Hyundai here about this. Sandero is Renault's hatch in international market - they just didn't make it up for India. Did Hyundai try the same stuff there? And it's not as if they have a copyright on Sandero in India.

If I were the judge, I would have thrown the case right out.

Because Santro is sold as santro only in India. outside wherever it is sold, santro is named as ATOZ/ ATOS prime. Why on earth should Hyundai sue Dacia or Renault for the name 'sandero' in the market where it sells 'santro' under the name 'ATOZ'???
Also, the 'santro' name in India is more than 10 years old - and internationally the sandero was developed only as recent as 2007.

If Mahindra-Renault want to launch this car after the litigation is settled - there are 2 possible paths.

1. litigation settled in favor of Renault -Launch the car as 'sandero' - thats it.

2. litigation settled in favor of HMIL - launch the car under any other badge - thats it!

Ritz is globally named as Splash. But in India they were unable to use it because Ford India has registered that name as a TM.

According to sources, the name 'Splash' has been registered with the Controller General of Patents Designs and Trademarks Registry since August 16, 2002, with the US carmaker Ford Motor Company.

Suzuki had applied for the trademark registration on December 22, 2005, which was eventually withdrawn.

It was a big setback with MSI saying at the time of launch that it could not bring in the car as Splash as it was already registered with "an automobile company" here.

When contacted, Ford India President and Managing Director Michael Boneham told PTI, "We had registered Splash long time ago... There is nothing specific about Splash at this moment. In the future we may or may not launch a product, named Splash."

Maruti's Splash turns Ritz thanks to Ford

Ah the masters of copying are now suggesting that Mahindra Renault are copying their name ? :-) Ridiculous .
The Sandero is what it is called worldwide and i dont think customers are dumb enough to think of buying a Santro and then going ahead and paying for a Sandero by mistake!
Thanks to Hyundai for confirming the news of Sandero's arrival into India .

mods can we have a poll on this subject please? i guess it would give a fair idea about what the majority thinks..

whats wrong with Hyundai. Its not like they(Mahindra-Ranault) are trying to copy the name from Hyundai, Sandero is already a well knows car model worldwide.
Hyundai will never win this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCR (Post 1554065)
Also Renault is much bigger than Hyundai and I think Hyundai will just stop at that.:D

I think you are misinformed.
Renault is sold in 118 countries. Hyundai is sold in 193 countries with more than 6000 dealerships worldwide. Hyundai is 4th largest manufacturer in the world recently taking 4th position reigns from Ford.

Heard from a friend who works for N-R that the Sandero is not on the cards any more as it is not financially viable. In May '10 they will be launching a 5-seater SUV and two small cars one of which will be 1.2L.

Hyundai is still considered as a cheap brand in US by an average american despite of their success with sonata and new santa fe.

If you were living in US, it would have been just another case for you. We take this so seriously because this kind of litigations are not common in India.
And from some of the posts, I still cannot understand why people cannot accept the success of Hyundai. Is it because it's a Korean company?

The Sandero, by the way is a no frills, cheap car in Europe, made by Renault subsidiary Dacia, in Romania. Their ad in Germany tells that "It's time for another revolution"

Quote:

Originally Posted by raveen_2023 (Post 1554529)
Hyundai is still considered as a cheap brand in US by an average american despite of their success with sonata and new santa fe.

Guess that should change after the Genesis is named 2009 North American car of the year!

I can't say that I disagree with Hyundai's firm stance. The probability of "santro" being pronounced similarly to "sandero" is very high for India, especially in the semi-urban / rural parts. Net net, they are identical sounding, but one cannot deny that the Santro has 12 years of goodwill in our market. This was the car that made Hyundai what it is today, and the Santro is still a good buy for people in that budget.

As suggested, I am adding a poll to this thread.

SAN-t-RO
SAN-de-RO

Hyundai is more than justified in taking this action, and they should win. Mahindra should look at naming their car something different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1557700)
I can't say that I disagree with Hyundai's firm stance. The probability of "santro" being pronounced similarly to "sandero" is very high for India, especially in the semi-urban / rural parts.

Agree with you GTO. I believe it will cause more confusion while advertise it in vernacular where it is possible to have the same spelling?

Hyundai winning or losing, Renault is getting excellent publicity from this-both the SANDERO model and its Indian avtaar.