Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Is Hyundai's action justified?
Yes 14 29.17%
No 34 70.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 15:24   #31
BHPian

According to the nov. issue of ACI the santro is selling 7749 units per month which is now the bottom end of the top 10 charts (8th to be precise)
While the i10 has a tally of 12733 units
IMO it seems like Hyundai is trying to gain mileage for its Santro brand, probably hoping for a spurt in sales in a landmark judgement or something
Now forgive me if am wrong, but hyundai has used words like "Renault is trying to cash in on its popular brand santro" and that "They are trying to gain mileage out of it"; so theyre kind of suggesting that the Sandero which is aiming for a higher perceived brand image than a Santro is trying to gain popularity by a name similar sounding to an outdated, bottom end hatch??
The statment itself suggests that Hyundai is not worried about the santro brand image getting hurt by it as one of us BHPian' had put forward earlier, but they are worried about the popularity the Sandero brand might enjoy due to the proximity of the phonetics to the Santro brand, which seems utterly ridiculous IMO.
I guess they should not waste precious time and money on silly law suits and concentrate on giving customers world class products like the current ''i" series, which are fabulous to say the least, such antics would just help decrease the brand value of their own premium products like the Sonata and the Tucson in the urban consumers view.
Old 28th October 2009, 16:01   #32
BANNED

Copying others' designs,
Comparing their cars with other manufacturer's cars which are segments apart,
Pricing their cars too high,
And this law suit against Renault when Hyundai themselves copy others' name and name extensions...

Everything makes me think again and again that Hyundai is a 'cheap' player, or a child with a superiority complex.
Old 28th October 2009, 16:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai. When I think of Hyundai ... plagiarism is the first thing that comes to my mind.. it will be a great shock to the world if they come up with a car that hasnt been plagiarised.. all their cars are.. their latest model i20 is a copy of European Corsa, Accent was a copy of lancer, sonata of Jaguar, Tuscon of Cayenne, new sonata of accord, Old gets of Optra, Terracan a copy of 90's Pajero. You know its in their DNA.

So its like Ram Ram japna, paraye ka design apna. A new cheapster milestone achieved Hyundai!

Keep it up.
Old 28th October 2009, 16:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

The debate here is not whether Hyundai is a design copycat. They may very well be, but that is irrelevant for the discussion. Santro and Sandero do sound similar especially when pronounced with an Indianised accent and I do believe that Hyundai has a genuine case here. Santro IS a major brand in India and the company that owns it will definitely feel the need to protect it.

Last edited by Gilead : 28th October 2009 at 16:31.
Old 28th October 2009, 17:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

...Going by Hyundai's standards, I think Honda should drag them to court too, as Hyundai name itself is derived from Honda ( Hyundai motor company was established in 1967 and Honda is in automotive business since 1963 ).
Yeah, and 'Toyota' should sue 'Tata'! This lawsuit should have been torn and trashed out of the courts before we could start discussing it. This just goes on to show the competition is really 'cut-throat'.

For example, we all know Maruti had to change the Splash's name to 'Ritz' as 'Splash' was already registered by another carmaker in India. Now can anyone throw some light exactly *who* did it? I for one still don't know!
Old 28th October 2009, 17:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

i always thought its 'sand-e-ro' and not 'saand-ro'. even if it is.. people here pronounce santro as 'saen-tro'.
Old 28th October 2009, 17:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
So no other car on earth should be even called close to Santro?
No. Not if both are in the same market.

Quote:
I dont understand the logic.
Please read up about trademarks and rules and regulations regarding them. There have been numerous incidents both in India and abroad where companies have been sued for using similar trademarks and in some cases for even totally unrelated products. Just check who all has McDonald's sued for trademark infringement See Sheldon & Mak, Inc. for a sample.

Quote:
And Sandero is actually a costiler bigger car compared to Santro.
Doesn't matter. See post #28 for just one example why.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

The names - Hyundai, Santro, their logo (slanted H) are trade marks, but Sandero, alltogether a different name, cannot be their trade mark!

Hyundai's suit is going to fall flat in the court!
Old 28th October 2009, 19:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

Hyundai's suit is going to fall flat in the court!
We'll let the judge rule on that one, finney.

Personally, I don't see why Hyundai can't go to court. They are a car company, not some morally bound individual. They've every right to copy designs (and are certainly not the only ones who do it) as long as their "copying" isn't termed illegal by a legal order. They also have every right to protect their brands by going to court. And there is definitely a genuine chance that they have a point.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 28th October 2009 at 19:33.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:38   #40
BHPian

I fully agree with Hyundai, Sandero sounds just like Santro so it should not be allowed.

May I submit too that Hyundai itself should not be allowed, since it's name sounds like Honda and also the logo looks like a slanted version of Honda's?

Even more curious is Mahindra Renault's reaction:

Quote:
In a press release, Mahindra Renault CEO Nalin Mehta said, “We have filed a reply requesting the honourable court for removal of Mahindra Renault’s name as the defendant. Mahindra Renault does not have any ownership of the Sandero brand. Mahindra Renault has never used or promoted the brand. The Sandero brand belongs to Renault and we have no locus standi on the brand. Our appeal with request stated above is filed with the court and awaits hearing.”
So is that some kind of legal tactic, or is he saying that Mahindra Renault has no idea of using the Sandero in the future, or is he washing his hands of all responsibility for any a Renault brand?

Last edited by chncar : 28th October 2009 at 19:43.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:09   #41
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I fully agree with Hyundai, Sandero sounds just like Santro so it should not be allowed.

May I submit too that Hyundai itself should not be allowed, since it's name sounds like Honda and also the logo looks like a slanted version of Honda's?

In a press release, Mahindra Renault CEO Nalin Mehta said, “We have filed a reply requesting the honourable court for removal of Mahindra Renault’s name as the defendant. Mahindra Renault does not have any ownership of the Sandero brand. Mahindra Renault has never used or promoted the brand. The Sandero brand belongs to Renault and we have no locus standi on the brand. Our appeal with request stated above is filed with the court and awaits hearing.”

So is that some kind of legal tactic, or is he saying that Mahindra Renault has no idea of using the Sandero in the future, or is he washing his hands of all responsibility for any a Renault brand?
This is a Good move from Mahindra-Renault I believe. If the court can consider Mahindra-Renault request, then Hyundai will be kicking itself for creating free Publicity for the car Sandero. Also Renault is much bigger than Hyundai and I think Hyundai will just stop at that.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Also Renault is much bigger than Hyundai and I think Hyundai will just stop at that.
Nope. Hyundai is the 4th largest automaker in the world:
1. Toyota
2. GM
3. VW group
4. Hyundai/Kia
5. Ford

"To climb six positions in just eight years isn't a simple accomplishment as it required stepping over such global automakers as Fiat, Chrysler, PSA/Peugeot, Nissan, and Honda. "

Hyundai-Kia overtakes Ford to become world's 4th largest automaker — Autoblog

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th October 2009 at 20:19.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:18   #43
BANNED

We often see sports wear from "adbas", which are "made as japan", and furniture / locks from "Gordej". It is understandable that people paying around 50 to 500 get carried away by such imitations.

If people paying six figure amounts get fooled by similar sounding names, they deserve a car like the Logan.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

Buddy, Honda is a family name - like 'Mahindra'. You cannot compare that with another name.

And I repeat, Hyundai construction was founded in 1947, which forms a major part of Hyundai conglomerate. Honda was founded in 1948.

And if a company name starts with H, you expect the logo to be some form of H! Don't expect TATA logo to start with A, or Honda logo to start with D, do you??
Old 28th October 2009, 20:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Because SX4 does not sound like i10/i20 in anyone's wildest dreams.

Not sure why you trying to defend Hyundai here about this. Sandero is Renault's hatch in international market - they just didn't make it up for India. Did Hyundai try the same stuff there? And it's not as if they have a copyright on Sandero in India.

If I were the judge, I would have thrown the case right out.

Most Viewed