Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Has the negative feedback on Skoda on TBhp affected your impression of Skoda India
Yes, I choose not to buy or recommend Skoda. 254 86.10%
No, I will still buy or recommend Skoda 41 13.90%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 18:04   #16
BHPian

Skoda

I've had a skoda octavia tdi in the past. I didn't sell it, I got rid of it!
That car was a nightmare. There will never ever be a skoda in my garage.

A nice drivers' car with good handling, power and fuel efficiency is eclipsed by maintenance, reliability issues, cost of spares and bad A.S.S.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:07   #17
Team-BHP Support

Shouldn't there be a poll?

I don't have any immediate plan of buying a big car, but i wouldn't consider Skoda nor recommend it to anyone. (Sad as their cars are good!)

Two of my friends who considered Fabia have moved on with other choices, after reading about various ownership experiences (Not limited to team-bhp). One bought City, while the other is waiting for Polo. Thats another 15L loss for Skoda India, i believe!
Old 28th October 2009, 18:17   #18
BHPian

I always wanted to have a vRS. But the reliability factor and the cost of parts were always playing the spoilsport. And their 'After Sales Support' publicity(through this forum) was the last nail in the coffin. We bought a civic instead. Still the acceleration figures of Laura 1.8TSI in the Autocar, is quite tempting!

Last edited by princemanatt : 28th October 2009 at 18:18.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

A big no-no. Who wants to put fortune on the car and then get ripped off at A**? Skoda has ruined its reputation at least on TBHP. I hope the company acts on it fast rather playing dirty games on the customers.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:28   #20
BHPian

Was looking at Fabia it was tempting with the 57k discounts, even a low end had some airbags and other really good features. But reading thru all the Skoda threads, somehow was not convinced If A.S.S and spare costs, availability etc. could give a trouble free experience in the future.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:30   #21
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I going quite against the tide. I bought my Superb inspite of the horror stories with my fingers crossed. People might hate me for saying this but we might be going in for a second Superb soon

The product is too good for the price and I believe Skoda does make good cars. It's the dealers that are at fault most often. I will defiantly be very attentive of monitoring the services. My driver will remain at the service center till the job is done. Yes there is no fool proof method that can avoid hanky-panky but thats a risk I am willing to take to get a product superior to competition.
I am not sure if the SUPERB is totally out of the equation for us, but its pretty close. We had almost decided to get the SUPERB, but after reading so many bad reports,Skoda might have lost a customer in us. Bad A.S.S is still tolerable, but when you add it with poor DSG(allegedly perhaps), poor A/C, poor reliabilty in general with reports of bad apples offloaded to India and multiply it with the expensive(albeit poor) service, it doesnt make much sense. People who are going to use the SUPERB as their 2nd or 3rd car, might be able to afford the expenses and more importantly the wait in the service station, but not folks like us who will be using it as their primary car.

Really sad, as it seemed like best VFM, but then is actually not.

Last edited by vij : 28th October 2009 at 18:39.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Converted 5 people till now who were prospective skoda buyers.
Had thought of buying Fabia once and then t-bhp happened

A poll is a must here!
Old 28th October 2009, 18:52   #23
BHPian

Lads,

I had been waiting for the new Skoda vRS for a long time ( almost one and a half years) and finally decided in favour of the Jetta 1.9TDI Comfortline ( see my thread Got my VW Jetta in Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports).

I joined team bhp after becoming a Jetta owner and feel safe that I did not take the risk of buying a Skoda. To re-iterate what I wrote in my thread, I sensed that Jetta's ( read VW's) benchmarks for quality would be superior to that of the Skoda, despite the sharing of platforms ( VW is the mainstream brand, Skoda is the budget brand and Audi is the upscale brand; they share engines and drivetrains).

Have had no reason to regret my decision, thus far- touchwood.

P.S. : Posts in bhp suggest that VW's *** is better as compared to Skoda.

Regards
Old 28th October 2009, 18:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

My uncle sold his 5 year old Octavia and was going for another Skoda. I talked him out of it. I too would never look at one. Just for lack of ethics, thats it.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:55   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have followed the automotive scene globally even before a run of the mill Czechoslovakian brand washed up on our shores as a *Premium* car.

After VW took over Skoda from it's failed Communist owners, Skoda's have been pretty much re-badged and re-skinned VWs. VW has had many problems with electrical gremlins and I figured correctly that these would shoe up in the Skoda's as well as pretty much all internals are sourced from the same vendors.

Unfortunately for us Indians the pricing Skoda was giving VFM compared to the japanese and most Indians are not aware that Skoda is actually VW low end brand though it is sold in India as a premium brand.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Very simple, I converted 2 friends seriously considering Fabia to buy a Aveo and another to i20. One guy even paid some advance which he got back luckily.

This attitude is just not accepted in India. Manufacturers, please take note, we are no longer a third world nation to lap up whatever served.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:01   #27
BHPian

My brother has plan to buy a good car. So I suggested him wait for yet to be launched VW Polo (I am expecting TJet). But Skoda is a part of VW, and I think the dealership experience for VW would be similler to Skoda. So I am asking my brother to reconfirm it before buying.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:06   #28
BHPian

Well, I had bought the Octavia way back in early 2002, when it was recently launched & I was very very pleased with the build quality, price & on road manners of the car especially the fabulous fuel economy of the diesel. But I did keep the car for 5 years & I sold the vehicle just because I was so fed up of the vehicle that I swore not to buy any Skoda vehicle , ever , no matter how good the product is.

There is no doubt that the Superb is a great product, well packaged & that too at a very attractive price point.

But I still don't recommend Skoda to any one & my self have bought Corolla, Civic , Corolla Altis & Innova, still own all 4, despite being in the market 3 times for a new vehicle.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:16   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Whomsoever i do recommend a Skoda car i do it with a proper disclaimer regarding reality check on servicing costs.

I wont consider a Skoda car for myself unless they do something drastic about service quality and costs.

For a common man this level of expenditure/harrasment is enough to rob him of peace of mind.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:16   #30
BHPian

I am planning a car next year and for sure it wouldn't be Skoda.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks