Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

good stuff mahindra, now time for Scorpio to get it. How much is the premium on Xylo for airbags ? Any idea ?
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:44   #17
BHPian

Equipped with ABD and Airbags, congrats to Mahindra. A clear VFM competitor for Innova. I assume Mahindra will price it right.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:52   #18
BHPian

Guys, last time I was sitting with the Mahindra service centre's manager, he was telling me that Scorpio with airbags is being planned and will be out soon.
What he also told me was that Mahindra will be releasing an airbag kit as well, so that airbags can be retrofitted into older vehicles as well.. Sounds too good to be true (to me atleast).
Has someone heard something similar?
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanmalhotra View Post
What he also told me was that Mahindra will be releasing an airbag kit as well, so that airbags can be retrofitted into older vehicles as well.. Sounds too good to be true (to me atleast).
?
That's like close to impossible. If it were true, I would be more than glad and would have the same on my Xylo.

Even if it were possible, don't you think its complicated and how reliable would it be? I think these things are best bought on as a package than aftermarket.
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:56   #20
BHPian

Xylo A/T with ABS, Airbags Improved Fit and finish at around 9 lakhs will be a great product. M&M Please introduce side impact beams on doors of Xylo!
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
That's like close to impossible. If it were true, I would be more than glad and would have the same on my Xylo.

Even if it were possible, don't you think its complicated and how reliable would it be? I think these things are best bought on as a package than aftermarket.
I agree, but I am seriously wondering, if that service center manager cooked it up.
Anyways, let's wait and watch. However, I would think quite a few times before having the service center guys retrofit airbags (assuming that it is a possibility)
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanmalhotra View Post
I agree, but I am seriously wondering, if that service center manager cooked it up.
Anyways, let's wait and watch. However, I would think quite a few times before having the service center guys retrofit airbags (assuming that it is a possibility)

I too seriously doubt if it can be fitted later. It not only means taking out steering wheel and its connections and then reinstating either the same one or new steeering wheel. Similarly passenger compartment would need to be taken off and the one with the bag fitted. Also sensors to sense the impact need to be placed at bumper (I guess they are at bumper). Its all too much of a job to be done. Its not the same as installing a rear vent AC or a spoiler with LEDs.
Old 6th November 2009, 10:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

scorpio now also with dual airbags

Mahindra Facelifts Scorpio | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos

Mahindra has again added new features to its flagship product – scorpio. Scorpio VLX – top end variant of scorpio gets the following features * Twin front airbags – passenger and driver
* twin dial instrument panel
* front speakers with built-in tweeters
* speed warning alert
The facelifted scorpio will see a marginal hike in price.
Old 6th November 2009, 10:26   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Scoop SID

Good move by mahindra both for Scorpio and Xylo, somehow don't belive the bit about a kit for the existing models. Seems too risky and unlikely, thought there was more to it than just fixing stuff, for starters would require replacement of stearing, dash, wiring harness to Stearing and some changes in the ECU or other device that looks at this for intelligence, plus the Airbag Ok light in the dials.
Old 12th November 2009, 17:08   #25

Its Officially OUT!

The Xylo website says it officially.. AIRBAGS are here. See this

But they're not in the market although bookings have started. This will be a popular move like the previous 4 year warranty offer. These guys sure know how to keep the sales up.

I'm trying to source some more information, will get back when I know more.
Attached Thumbnails
Xylo E8 now also with dual airbags-xylo_airbags.jpg  

Old 15th November 2009, 01:00   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel airbags have been offered as optional just like Scorpio that too only on the top end variants to make it look better on the brochure.

Airbags and ABS should be offered on all the variants as Honda has done with ANHC.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:23   #27
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep ABS should be on all models, and Airbag should be compulsory on the E8 atleast.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

i feel its better to have airbags as an option instead of standard fitment. that ways, mahindra atleast wont lose business who does not need an airbag (and feels that the premium is unjustified!).
Old 17th November 2009, 12:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

They should offer abs and airbags as options across all variants.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:04   #30
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i feel its better to have airbags as an option instead of standard fitment. that ways, mahindra atleast wont lose business who does not need an airbag (and feels that the premium is unjustified!).
You actually mean who FEEL that they do not need an Airbag as they are blessed ones and will never have an accident, or FEEL that if they do have an accident it is best NOT to survive and have to pay for the accident REPAIR bills of a blown dash.

Remaining mortals all do NEED an airbag.

Needs are so relative - why not atleast make it a compulsary part in atleast one model. Like the TATA guys do with the Safari VX. (Ofcourse the safari possible do not sell in large number on account of this.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks