Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:43   #31
BHPian

i would have preferred a media center with touch screen and gps if they were upgrading .the console looks like in the words of sarabhai so middleclass
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

totally crazy pricing.

Anyway, not much, even Toyota has priced its Camry in that absurd pricing.

I guess all companies plan some or the other brand in such a price bracket to get that LARGE margin. The demands for these cars may not be high, but they would be bought by some people who like them or need them (like hotels etc)
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:14   #33
BHPian

Tata is launching Freelander in india and the starting price is around 34 lakhs.
so imagaine you can have a Honda CRV for 31 lakhs or Freelander for around 34, what will u buy ?? any guesses
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:30   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

no prizes for guessing i m sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagu View Post
Tata is launching Freelander in india and the starting price is around 34 lakhs.
so imagaine you can have a Honda CRV for 31 lakhs or Freelander for around 34, what will u buy ?? any guesses
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagu View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the Mitsubishi Montero also around the same price range? 34 lakhs.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:45   #36
BHPian

Is it just me - don't the wheels of the new version look "Safaried"
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
totally crazy pricing.

Anyway, not much, even Toyota has priced its Camry in that absurd pricing.

I guess all companies plan some or the other brand in such a price bracket to get that LARGE margin. The demands for these cars may not be high, but they would be bought by some people who like them or need them (like hotels etc)
Surely, they won't be doing volumes business. Absurd pricing is reserved for their "fanboys" respectively who are willing to spend anything on their beloved brand
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:56   #38
BHPian

Honda has lost the plot. 31L???

It can't do much off-roading anyway, so at that price point, you might as well opt for a German saloon!
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Honda has always surprised me in India. I quite like their cars and I think they are built nicely, is modern, has a good image in India and they are mostly trouble free cars BUT overcharging us so much is absolutely ridiculous.

These are tough times and the consumer will not always remain stupid.

I just checked Honda's site and the OTR price of a CRV was about 23.6 Lacs for the 4WD AT ex showroom Agra in the morning.

I just checked now to double check and then post here and they say it is BEING UPDATED. See screen shot below -

First Pics-New CR-V facelift-scrnsht.jpg

I guess they are digging their own grave by pricing it so high. The fortuner is anyday better.

And now people would start looking at Endeavour and Captiva and even Outlander instead of the CRV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
i would have preferred a media center with touch screen and gps if they were upgrading .the console looks like in the words of sarabhai so middleclass
My Associate bought a CRV about 18 months back in the UK. See the Media Console they put in that ( this was standard ) and it had 6 or 8 airbags, twin sunroof, Cruise Control, Xenon's, leather, and it was a diesel !!!!

First Pics-New CR-V facelift-dsc00899.jpg

Last edited by vkochar : 3rd November 2009 at 12:17.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
You WHAT ??

Seriously? In 1.5 yrs the cost has gone up more than 1.5 times ??

That'd be a first in automotive history.

Smartest INVESTMENT you did IMO.

You know what... If i decide to sell my cr-v now, I think I can manage to get back at least 90% of my original investment...

What say?

Last edited by AbhiJ : 3rd November 2009 at 12:40.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:33   #41
BHPian

By pure chance, I happened to make an enquiry about the CRV last Saturday. The dealer quoted 1- lac booking amount and a end- January delivery. Honda SIEL now import CRVs only against order, whilst earlier they stocked them. He also mentioned about a Diesel version sometime in 2010 and reveled that they were under some pressure from Honda SIEL to move more CRVs as demand has almost dried up. But I wonder whether they stopped importing due to the impending mild facelift, or was it the over- enthusiastic pricing that has by now almost killed an otherwise competent vehicle?

At least in Kerala, AFAIK, the Fortuner competes with the CRV for customers along with the wannabe Captiva and the me- too Pajero. And now, with the Superb breathing down on Accord's neck, Honda might be scratching their heads on that front as well.
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:49   #42
BHPian

Website updated since this evening. Price for Auto is up by 55,000 in Cochin. Now comes with 6 Airbags, and new colours. Other than the grille and 17" wheels, no major changes. Only if we forget that it was overpriced in the first place, the hike seems palatable when the extra safety equipment and features are factored in.

But still no automatic and/ or petrol vehicles to match it count to count. Only the Fortuner is good enough (or even better), but it's a Diesel, not so city- oriented and doesn't have an auto 'box. The X- Trail could be a feasible alternative, but I'm yet to drive the new one, so can't comment.
Old 4th November 2009, 09:34   #43
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Absurd, the looks and features were never the main issue with CRV sales, it was the price, they should have figured a way to drop 5L of the price tag if they hoped for any sales. The Initial numbers of CRV that were sold in India and are seen on the road were sold at a much more comptetitive price point. With the price revision sales dropped and the new look and features will not help it at all. Honda's gone bonkers first the jazz and now this.

Did a survey tell them that they are a brand perceived equivalent to the merc.
Old 4th November 2009, 09:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
You know what... If i decide to sell my cr-v now, I think I can manage to get back at least 90% of my original investment...

What say?
To be honest, I"d seriously think about it. (Unless it is a car that fits your requirements 100% and there are no other alternatives.)

I'd pick up the fortuner (wait for the AT) for the money.
Old 4th November 2009, 10:27   #45
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Price of "New" CRV

Guys, i am not sure of the price of the old CRV. The new price of ""New" CRV has been announced as per the news release below

Honda Siel Cars Limited has launched an upgraded variant of its popular SUV Honda CRV. Honda CRV is imported as a completely built unit in India and the new variant is priced in the range of Rs. Rs 21.9 lakh and Rs 24.12 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). "The new Honda CR-V further expands the value reflecting growing customer demand for quality and premium products in the SUV market," Honda Siel Cars India Director Marketing Tatsuya Natsume said.

The new model is also powered by 2.0 – 2.4L engine and comes in three variants like its predecessor. The new CR-V comes with front bumper design, a re-sculpted hood, a new two-step front grille & and oval shape fog lamps. The new rear bumper further accentuates the stability of the car. The new CR-V is 45 mm longer than its predecessor and measures 4575 mm in length while maintaining the same width, height, ground clearance and head clearance. A new 10-spoke alloy wheel design replaces the previous 7-spoke alloy wheel design. The new wheel design gives the car a more aggressive stance and enhances its sporty looks.

Honda has been experiencing sharp decline in CRV sales in India. It sold only one unit in September and 47 units in October. A new variant of CRV is definitely geared to infuse sales in the market with added features and more luxury in the same package.

Unquote

Has the price been revised downwards? I read in this thread that CRV costs 30 Lakhs OTR. The above mentioned Ex-showroom prices seem to be lower.

The 47 unlucky people who bought their CRV in October must be

Most Viewed