Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 23:07   #31
BHPian

I think they have to price it competitively, if they want it to sell in good numbers against the Innova. It's difficult to match the Toyota in terms of engine refinement, reliability and quality. In my opinion, Tata must price it properly.
Old 12th November 2009, 09:44   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Grande MKII / Plus is an exciting prospect, provided they make sufficient number of changes. I think the TATA guys would have got enough feedback on what they need to do, over the last 2 years, and their job is cut out. What we see happening is whatever max they find feasable to implement.

I anticipate:
1) The side door mirror mounted Indicators.
2) ABS on top model of 2 models.
3) Much better Interiors.
4) Better music system - Bluetooth?
5) Alloys on top model.
6) Revamped rear door look.
7) Slightly modifed front look.
8) More somber colours.
9) 2.2 Dicor engine identical to safari producing 140 bhp.
10) Tweaked stearing, dash, indicator stalks, seats, door pannels. Major change in the pastics on the interior.
11) some side cladding.
12) Better trip meters - maybe even an MID.

Have liked but don't expect.
13) Safari type rear suspension inplace of the leaf spring set-up.
14) Airbags on top model.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:12   #33
BHPian

As far as I have been informed, The major changes are in terms of interior plastics and overall fit-and-finish of the product. TATA do not want to change the looks of the car which, though received mixed reviews, were not the reason for sluggish sales (take a look at Xylo for example).

It is really the plastics that have been the problem and have been overhauled to a great extent. Personally, same reasons apart, I found Grande a very capable car with one of the most comfortable middle and rear row seating, something that makes the car great for MPV purposes. Moreover, the driving stance and drivability of car still is better than Tavera and Xylo if not Scorpio or Innova but then TATA never intended to take Innova head on. Instead, this car was always meant to be a full-fledged MPV for people with limited budget.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:32   #34
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

yep akhilesh, bang on, the Grande did not fail for looks, it was due to interior quality, mainly, now with the safari itself getting upgraded they can go the whole hog and close the gap. Would be great if the Grande II, X'over and new refreshed safari all came within the next 3 months. It would increase the options in the 2-3 segments (MUV, SUV, People Mover) significantly.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am not surprised this product banged. TATA not being HONDA, still sold grande with wheel caps at 8+ lakhs. Not everyone tastes success
Old 13th November 2009, 15:53   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I am not surprised this product banged. TATA not being HONDA, still sold grande with wheel caps at 8+ lakhs. Not everyone tastes success
Yep we are too cruel to our own Indian brands and liberal with the "Imported" ones.

of course the effort to keep the Grande a peg below the Safari instead of allowing a head on fight was dumb to say the least. Market positioning is an art that most get wrong. Ala - Jazz (Even a Honda).
Old 13th November 2009, 22:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
yep akhilesh, bang on, the Grande did not fail for looks, it was due to interior quality, mainly, now with the safari itself getting upgraded they can go the whole hog and close the gap. Would be great if the Grande II, X'over and new refreshed safari all came within the next 3 months. It would increase the options in the 2-3 segments (MUV, SUV, People Mover) significantly.
+1.

The looks of grande was not the problem. Once they fix the interiors and suspension, it should sell lot better.
Old 14th November 2009, 11:21   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
+1.

The looks of grande was not the problem. Once they fix the interiors and suspension, it should sell lot better.

+1.

The braking is very poor, we had two sumo's prior to this both had better braking compared to Grande. when you suddenly break in grande it takes ages to stop . They should seriously think of improving the braking also apart from suspension and interiors/

Last edited by driving_smartly : 14th November 2009 at 11:23.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:38   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

So i guess all point and the wish list for Mark II are already discussed - now we await the launch, spec and features and of course the pricing.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:31   #40
BHPian

Tata Sumo Grande MKII is here and how...here are my two pennies:

Tata's new Iteration of the wrestler
Old 19th November 2009, 04:13   #41
BHPian

you know what just remove the name sumo. and it will start to sell!....hopefully.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:18   #42
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Why are Tata's getting off-track with Sumo I fail to understand ? IMHO Grande looks decent , well diffrent people diffrent perceptions . All that they lacked was fit and finish. Otherwise I see Grande as a good product. In one of the topics there was a talk of upgrading engine in Grande. The engine is good enough to pull that weight and much much better than the home grown M&M engines.

Give Grande a grander interior , and see the diffrence in the sales.

--Vikrant
are you serious ? better interiors will sell this ? and the engines are better than M&M ? i think tata just got sumo granny a new saree
Old 19th November 2009, 17:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
are you serious ? better interiors will sell this ? and the engines are better than M&M ? i think tata just got sumo granny a new saree
Don't you think that's rather unkind?
I agree with the interiors not being that great (more specifically the front console and dashboard!) but the engine's not a pushover.It's pretty much as
good spec-to-spec as the mHawk.It's the same as a Safari with a retuned ECU, I suppose.Loses out in small measure to the Scorpio but then the SG is lower priced. And yes those leaf springs should go away!I daresay the SG handles as well if not better than a Scorpio.And the ride is pretty much the same if not better, and the interiors are definitely more spacious.

Tata,
please get rid of that stupid front console
work on the gearbox smoothness
bring in a quality suspension.

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion on Akhilesh's test report thread.

This thread is closed.

Last edited by GTO : 19th November 2009 at 20:00. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks