Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:01   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why Isn't The Maruti AStar Selling Well?

A sedan version of the A-Star, a la Dzire ? What will they name this ? Bizzare ?

But wait, compared to the few thousands that the hatch sells, this could lead to waiting lists for the sedan. Maybe they can address the rear leg-space and greenhouse concerns raised by many. Boot will be automatically taken care of when it becomes a sedan.

When the M1000 was launched, I used to wonder, why they can't release a sedan version of the M800 - you know, just add a wee boot to the car. Going by Dzire and now A-Star, maybe they will end up doing that too - an Alto-sedan.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd May 2011 at 13:04.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:08   #182
Senior - BHPian

A Star CS rendering:
Attached Thumbnails
Why Isn't The Maruti AStar Selling Well?-star-sedan.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2011, 16:12   #183
Senior - BHPian

^^ That doesn't look bad at all!
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:17   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
A Star CS rendering:

Looks decent in the rendering done.

But in reality it would be difficult in manufacturing while merging the boot seamlessly.

Cheers!
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:02   #185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
A Star CS rendering:
Hey, this looks cool man! A-Star is a difficult car to convert into a sedan. You have to do something to smoothen the extra bulge in the A-Star head lights.
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:45   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M
The A* used by me was the one with ABS and airbags, but then it was over 4 lakh making it really close to cars from a segment above.
Add the cost of AT and it really creeps into higher segment. Eg. the A*_AT cost us 4.65L, while we paid 5L for our Swift-ZXi 4 years ago. But both are different cars with their own pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M
The plastic quality is suspect. I have seen the AC vents falling apart one by one [ only the center ones]
Now that you mentioned this, one of the horizontal slats of 1 central vent broke off sometime ago - I guess kiddo was trying to poke a pen or something inside the slats, but still I wish it were a bit better built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar
BTW, I have seen an A* with HID. It looks stunning. The light spread and reach are simply superb. Better than many premium cars. May be because fo those huuuge deep dish bowl reflectors A* has. SB, try 'em on your car. You will love the effect.
Don't know man - I am the keep-it-stock guy, though wifey has a long list of add-ons she wants on the car (should not have introduced her to tbhp). The MGP spoiler seems to add character to the rear - for now thinking of getting that and remote locking too.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd May 2011 at 18:48.
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:22   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ That doesn't look bad at all!
Yes, Gansan, it looks stunning!
Old 4th May 2011, 00:25   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
When the M1000 was launched, I used to wonder, why they can't release a sedan version of the M800 - you know, just add a wee boot to the car.
Why Biju ? Were you expecting a basic car with a boot ? I think that is what the M-1000 did, except that it came with AC as standard and a 5 speed gear box. That is how an extension of any hatch should be, a bigger engine with slightly better comfort, not the same "national" engine in all classes, B,C and D.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:28   #189
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that's a cool rendering. It'll look like the micra "sunny" I guess if sedanified
Old 4th May 2011, 09:18   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Another minus point. If the car was to be converted to CNG in the future, there was no space for a 10kg tank!
My cousin has an Alto Lx which was converted to CNG (not sure of the CNG tank capacity, but it occupies 75% of the boot in Alto). I have an A-star, I think a similar sized tank would easily fit in the boot of A-star.
Old 4th May 2011, 09:22   #191
Senior - BHPian

I have seen circular LPG tanks that fit right in to the stepney well fitted in many hatches.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:10   #192
BHPian

Recently i TD almost all cars under 5L and A-star felt the most fun-to-drive. In fact i loved driving it more than Swift due to the low seating position. What spoils the party is the jerky vibrations at low rpms. If they can plonk in the 4 cylinder de-tuned version of the 1.2 K-series engine, i guess A-star will sell much much more, than it sells now. That would give crazy diesel like mileage and an amazing power to weight ratio like in alto-k10.
The car has everthing what a fun-loving, young couple or unmarried young executive/ student needs. Since the boot is small,60:40 split seats at rear is also a must.

Last edited by Daewood : 4th May 2011 at 12:12.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:37   #193
BHPian

IMHO the Cervo would have been perfect for the Indian market but don't think Suzuki has any plans of launching it here.

Attachment 220173[/quote]

Talking about cervo, even the msil dealers are telling that they had no idea that the Kizashi would be launched so soon. They were of the opinion that MSIL was due for Cervo launch sometime soon, then proceed onto Kizashi

Andy
Old 6th May 2011, 15:26   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
Recently i TD almost all cars under 5L and A-star felt the most fun-to-drive. In fact i loved driving it more than Swift due to the low seating position.
Actually we first rejected the A-Star due to the low seating position - there was no TD car available and we were at their yard - just sat in one and it felt so low, I felt FIL would have trouble with the low seating and so we moved on to Estilo. Luckily the AT version has seat-height adjustment, which makes things better on the seating front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
What spoils the party is the jerky vibrations at low rpms. If they can plonk in the 4 cylinder de-tuned version of the 1.2 K-series engine, i guess A-star will sell much much more, than it sells now.
While I agree it would be a FTD car with the K12 engine, I doubt that NVH or lack of a cylinder is what is hampering sales of this car. Other than enthusiasts, who cares about NVH or 3-cyl vs 4-cyl ? To give an eg. I was driving an 800cc 3-cyl car since the mid-eighties and the first time I heard about NVH in connection with cars was on tbhp in 2004 - I dont remember feeling any vibrations in the car then - it was just pure fun and reaching 120kmph seemed awesome then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
That is how an extension of any hatch should be, a bigger engine with slightly better comfort, not the same "national" engine in all classes, B,C and D.
I agree with you about value-addition - the example of M1000 vs M800 being pertinent, though the 8K p.m. Dzire buyers seem to differ with us.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th May 2011 at 15:28.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:50   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Actually we first rejected the A-Star due to the low seating position ......... Luckily the AT version has seat-height adjustment, which makes things better on the seating front.
I adjusted the driver seat of my A-star automatic to the maximum height, and then sat in the passenger seat and driver's seat alternately to check the difference. The view was far far better in the (max height) driver's seat.
I think all versions of A-star need to have driver seat adjust as standard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks