Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 20:15   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why Isn't The Maruti AStar Selling Well?

An old thread, but came across this while looking for something else and it held my interest because it is good to know the reasons behind customer (dis)interest for certain cars.

Looks, price, space (lack of) and low boot-space seem to be major reasons for this car not selling, as per most comments.

Looks is surely a good reason that makes/mars a car. A friend was choosing between AT versions of i10 and A* and plumped for the former, mainly due to looks, though it is 80K costlier and has lower FE. While i10 is no looker, it seems most people hate the way A* looks.

Price IMO is not that bad when you consider that this is the cheapest hatch that you can get with ABS, airbags and the works. Yeah, it is costlier than an Alto, but then the Alto is no way comparable to this car in anything other than also being a 4/5 seater hatch.

Interior space seemed to be a major concern with everyone. As I headed to the basement-parking for a coffee, I chanced upon a Spark and an A* parked next to each other. Visually, the A* looked wider which should mean same or more space at the rear. On returning, I look up the specs of Alto, A* and Spark and get this data from respective manufacturer sites (given below) and find that the visual feeling was true on paper too. I fail to understand how people say the Alto is more spacious than the A-Star. And no one even says Spark is low on space, though it is as long as Alto and just 2cms wider.

----------Alto------Spark-----A-Star
Width---: 1475 -- 1495 -- 1600
Length--: 3495 -- 3495 -- 3500
Height--: 1460 -- 1518 -- 1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
The rear is not cramped unless the front seats are pushed all the way back.
Agree. For the average Indian (w.r.t height), the rear has more than enough space. We recently did a 333km trip to Idukki with 5 adults and few kids and the ladies at the rear were comfortable. Ofcourse other than the strain of having a kid each on their lap - which would have been the case even if we were in a Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez
On my visit to Chennai, I was surprised at the number of A-Stars there. I saw far far more than in Bangalore/Mysore.
You should see how many are in Kerala - the place is teeming with A-Stars - I think people find the Alto too common and are moving to this. Checkout this done-up A-Star I spotted last weekend. Strange coincidence that the snap has all the cars discussed in this post.
Why Isn't The Maruti AStar Selling Well?-dsc02889.jpg

While it would be OT here, I have never understood why the Getz was not a hit - it looks good, is spacious, good boot, Hyundai service, competitive price etc etc. So, is there something more to a car not finding favour with customers ?
Old 28th April 2011, 20:24   #152
Senior - BHPian

The A Star was initially conceptualized as a 2 door, and converted to a 4 door with tiny rear windows that accentuate the cramped feeling inside.

If they increase the greenhouse of this car, it will give a feeling of more space..
Old 28th April 2011, 20:43   #153
Senior - BHPian

My two cents:
Its headlights are hideous. They look like eyes of Frog.
And the rear is too cramped. There is a limit to which Maruti can push its sales based on its A.S.S.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:51   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
My two cents:
And the rear is too cramped. There is a limit to which Maruti can push its sales based on its A.S.S.
LOL - you took the words out of my mouth I was going to say the car looks like a frog & is zilch in the looks department.

The A Star is hideous from the front & the Beat & Ritz compete for the worst ever rear end

Cheers
Old 28th April 2011, 22:47   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
My two cents:
I agree with the Frog part too. The front is hideous. In my opinion, the Alto offers a better VFM proposition at a lower price. Also the A-star is positioned quite weirdly between the Alto and the Wagon-R. More like a cross between the two. And a confused positioning is never good in this market.

If I was in the market for a fast, zippy, nimble hatch for myself then I would pick the Alto over the A*, save money and use it to deck up the Alto. If I had a family, then the Wagon-R still makes more sense as it has more room (perceptibly atleast) and looks better too (relatively ofcourse). If I want something for the wife, then the Estilo fits the bill perfectly. Then where on earth does the A* figure? And with competition like the i10 and the spark (great VFM again) I would really not wanna look at the A* unless I live in a remote location where only Maruti has service presence.

Oh and that big bumper, tiny window and weedy tires really do a lot to spoil the party for the A*.
Old 29th April 2011, 17:44   #156
BHPian

After reading the review for A-Star AT, I thought it might be a good replacement for wife's Santro AT that is starting to hurt the wallet with increasing fuel prices.

Wife didn't like the looks, but felt that it might grow on her. Then she took a look inside the car and simply said "no-way". The interior of the car is so cramped & dark. Compared to bright & airy Santro, the A-Star felt almost claustrophobic.

So the Santro is still with us, and I am now waiting for a Ritz AT or a diesel HB with AT.

- Cheers.
Old 29th April 2011, 18:02   #157
BHPian

Maruti A Star is constantly doing numbers around 3000 in the monthly car sales figures. Now I do not know how much it is supposed to sell in order to be selling well. Even Spark and Beat - the two rivals are doing the same kind of numbers(around 3000). I think i10 is a segment above A-star so cannot compare with them. If you want to see whether a car is doing well or not just compare it with its rivals. In that respect I think A-star is doing fine.
Old 29th April 2011, 20:01   #158
Senior - BHPian

Ques: Why isn't the Maruti A-Star selling well?

Ans: It is selling well. Its only that our scale of success when it comes to Maruti is always way high. We Indians associate all small Marutis to sell well above 10,000 units (approximately). Its not our fault as we are used to blockbuster success stories from Maruti like the 800, Zen, Alto and the most recent Swift. As someone above said, the A-Star is selling on par for the segment, very similar to the numbers managed by the 800 and Chevrolet Spark.

And if you ask why the A-Star is selling to the level of Alto and Swift, there are reasons for that too. Just sit in the rear seat of the A-Star and Alto back to back. Though the space offered is similar, the A-Star feels so claustrophobic to be in, with the very small glasshouse not helping matters. And it is slightly high priced for what it actually is - an 'Alto' replacement. Maruti should have discontinued the 800, re-positioned the Alto to where the 800 was and launched the A-Star at Alto's price. We should not be surprised if, few years down the line, Maruti does just that.

Obviously, Maruti tried to do what Hyundai did with the Santro and i10, but that didn't happen.
Old 29th April 2011, 20:58   #159
Senior - BHPian

I don't know why others don't buy it, but one reason I didn't go for Astar is the lack of road vision from the driver's seat. It is ok for other countries where people practice tyre and tarmac rule, but a strict nono for our cities.

Maybe other prospective buyers think of this aspect too. Strikes you immediately, when you see a WagonR standing right next to it in the showroom - with its excellent all-round visibility.

Have to add, with AT it does look like a tempting proposition. If only it were somewhat narrower than that 1600mm, I would seriously think of switching to it.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 29th April 2011 at 21:02.
Old 29th April 2011, 21:22   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I don't know why others don't buy it, but one reason I didn't go for Astar is the lack of road vision from the driver's seat. It is ok for other countries where people practice tyre and tarmac rule, but a strict nono for our cities.

Maybe other prospective buyers think of this aspect too. Strikes you immediately, when you see a WagonR standing right next to it in the showroom - with its excellent all-round visibility.

Have to add, with AT it does look like a tempting proposition. If only it were somewhat narrower than that 1600mm, I would seriously think of switching to it.
When I got the Alto K10, last year I had option of getting any one - Alto, K10, A Star or i10. What I liked in K10 was excepotional performance and good all round visibility, coupled with small size - ideal for marketing trips.

A Star is just the modern version of the Alto (800, Alto, Zen all are Alto just newer models, and in Europe it is Alto), OK it has more modern design and other safety related equipment, but that comes at a price (not to mention added ugliness), so those who want a small hatch go for Alto, those who want more refinement opt for i10. A Star as pointed out is neither here nor there.
Old 30th April 2011, 17:26   #161
Senior - BHPian

@ Saanil/arvi86, compared to its peers like the Beat/Spark etc, it is indeed doing decent numbers. But since most Maruti hatches do high numbers, the comparison is against its own siblings, not the competition.

If visibility were the main concern, the M800 would be the best best. Where the Alto has a wide C-pillar, the Alto has glass there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
A Star is just the modern version of the Alto, OK it has more modern design and other safety related equipment, but that comes at a price
While it is indeed the new Alto (though named Celerio in Europe), there is nothing common between the 2 cars - the A* is an entirely different car, when compared to the Alto. And regarding stuff coming at a price, isn't it logical - if one wants better-build, features, ABS, airbags etc, one gotta pay for it.

The Alto is the new M800 - a barebones car, FE, cheap spares, a thrifty runabout etc. The A-Star is better built, safer, has a better engine which is both FTD and FE and still a good city runabout. At a slightly higher price, which is worth what comes for the tag.

P.S.: Somehow I seem to end up with low-selling Marutis, inspite of them not being in the initial short-list. Got a Baleno instead of the almost-finalised WagonR and now an A-Star_AT instead of the finalised and booked Estilo.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 30th April 2011 at 17:27.
Old 1st May 2011, 10:46   #162
Senior - BHPian

What I meant is that the A Star is the latest "Alto" incarnation, just as the old M800 was the 1st Generation, the Zen 2nd, Alto 3rd the A Star 4th. UK Site The official Suzuki UK website for all Suzuki Cars, Alto, Splash, Swift 3 door, Swift 5 door, Swift Sport, SX4, Jimny, Grand Vitara 3 door, Grand Vitara 5 door - Alto is our A Star, and Splash our Ritz.
Old 1st May 2011, 21:44   #163
Senior - BHPian

I know I will probably draw lot of flak here but there are only 3 hatcbacks that I find good looking in India -- Beat, Swift and A-star. Look at the pic of black A-star above. The huge rear bumper and small rear-glass that everyone is complaining about is lending sportiness to the car. And sportiness and space do not go hand in hand. A car is either spacious like a van OR sporty but cramped like a sports car. It's an individual's pick. I like sportiness and black interiors. Also since, mostly I travel alone in car, I don't give a damn about interior space. In fact, I like carmpedness because it works for me when i am with my GF.
Old 1st May 2011, 22:44   #164
Team-BHP Support

Just came across this thread.

I have a few friends working with Maruti in Gurgaon. They say A-Star and Ritz were originally meant for the European market but apparently they did so "well" in India that they were introduced here too.

Ritz of course still managed to pull it off but wonder what even Europeans saw in A-Star. Agreed they prefer hatchbacks now but A-Star?!

In fact, if one remembers, during their launch, they were huge waiting periods for both these cars; all because they were first imported.

A-Star remains 1 car whose design confuses me!
Old 1st May 2011, 23:29   #165
Senior - BHPian

A really cramped rear seat, a boot that can only hold shopping bags, styling that is either hit or miss ( I feel that they missed it, or rather messed it) Fuel efficiency and Maruti's A.S.S. are the things that make it possible to move 2-3k A-Stars out of the shelf a month

Most Viewed